Rusty Richardson

GT-2500 Stalls when PTO engaged

Rusty Richardson

Good morning everyone!  I am surprised to see such a following for these tractors.  I'll admit, I didn't know anything about them until my father-in-law told me he wanted to sell his.  It runs, moves, and isn't rusted out.  Not too bad for $100.  It's a GT-2500 Anniversary Edition.

So here's my problem(s).... I attached the mower deck, routed the deck belt, fired her up and engaged the pto.  At first, the pto clutch would engage the deck belt, but it would appear the disc is worn.  Easy fix.  However, while engaged but barely spinning, the engine would shut off as if it were starved for fuel and/or air.  I'm still getting to know the machine so I've tried adjusting the throttle and choke, didn't seem to help much.  Any ideas?

gwest_ca

Welcome to the forum.

Sounds like your seat switch circuit is causing the problem. With the pto ON the seat safety switch controls the ignition through a kill relay. Be real careful testing things because the ignition is self-powered and if simply grounded the engine shuts OFF. Do not allow any battery voltage to get into the ignition wire at the engine.

The wiring is unique on these models. They use a "battery style" ignition switch to control the "magneto style" ignition. Battery power applied to a kill relay opens the contacts so the engine will run. When battery power to the kill relay is interrupted the engine shuts OFF because the ignition wire is then grounded by the relay.

The seat switch opens if the operator falls out of the seat with the pto on. With the kill relay loosing it's power the relay grounds the ignition wire.

Perhaps the seat is not pushing the seat switch far enough.

Garry

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

ACman

:text-yeahthat:...like Gary said  

Hello fellow Michigander and welcome to :rs: ! You live in the same town as one of our favorite members/vendor's @GlenPettit . Consider becoming a supporter http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/store/category/1-redsquare-support/ if you plan on sticking around. Pics help us help you and we just love :text-coolphotos: or make a video post it to YouTube and make a link . That would really help .

You'll soon find out why there's such a following of :wh:Tractors , as most of us just can't own one . They're like Lays potato chips. :lol:

Along with what Gary said it sounds like you have some mechanical ability so that's a good start . I guess my first question would be how long did the tractor set and second did you pull the carb and give it a good cleaning ? You could try some Seafoam in the fuel system to clean it out too (I'd do both) . Next make sure the outside of carb is clean also and that the governor linkage (all linkages) moving freely and not all gummed up . If the governor isn't working right it will kill the engine when a load is placed on it .Make sure the throttle and choke shafts don't have excessive play and are sucking air . Are the fuel lines /filter needing replaced as this newer fuel eats the rubber clogging things up  . Lastly how's the compression on the engine ? I'm sure someone else here will chime in soon too and get this figured out . :handgestures-thumbupright:

Edited by ACman
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 1

953 nut

:WRS:           Yes, we do love our horses!  Glad to hear your :wh: will stay in the family.

Just do a quick check to see if the problem is an electrical issue or a mechanical one. Remove the belt from the PTO pulley, start the tractor and while sitting on the seat engage the PTO. If it continues to run with the PTO engaged then get off the seat for a moment to see if the seat switch will kill the motor as it should. With the PTO engaged the starter should not turn over when the key is turned to the start position.

If everything in the safety switches checks out then there could be a bad bearing on the deck or mule drive or a belt routing problem.

Let us know how you do.

• Like 2