mikeeyre74

How to access coils best? CH22 twin cylinder.

mikeeyre74

Maybe I'm a knucklehead for asking, but the coils on this twin cal CH22 in my 522xi are under the engine shroud, which is up against the firewall. I need to get to the coils, but I'm not sure what the best way to get to the coils are.. yank the firewall and then the shroud, or what? This looks painful, either way. 

shallowwatersailor

You need to pull the engine to remove the shrouds. Disconnect the battery, unbolt the two side panel supports, two bolts on the driveshaft (mark the orientation to be on the safe side for going back in), four bolts holding the engine down, and disconnect the throttle and choke cables. Lift the engine vertically to clear the oil drain on the pan and watch how you set it down to protect the drain.

While you have the shrouds off, clean the grass chaff, etc. that will have accumulated on the heads due to the fan.

mikeeyre74

To that information above, you'd have to add:

Disconnect several wiring harness connectors, fuel line from tank and something else I'm forgetring. But in the end run:

The wife's CrossFit equipment came in handy, because I don't have an engine hoist.  

Pulling the motor

And I popped the hood off to be able to roll it out afterwards. 

Pulling the motor

But the thing is out. And it's gross in here:

Pulling the motor

Pulling the motor

But mostly: 

Pulling the motor

She's out. Coil pack work to begin at the next free moment 

All in all, that went a lot faster than I figured. It's not easy like changing oil, but it's really not terrible either. 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2