Rustyred

Best K181 Rebuild kit?

Rustyred

Hi all,

I have a K181 engine all taken apart and I have a machinist cleaning up the valves and giving the cylinder a little hone. (it was in great condition)

Where is the best place to get a rebuild kit to put it back together? It doesn't need a new head - or valves - or connecting rod.

Also, how do I know which kit to buy? There seems to be different sizes of pistons. The measurement on diameter of mine is still well within Kohler's listed tolerance.

Thanks again for your support. Rustyred

stevasaurus

The Kohler parts are the best, but cost more money then the kits on E-Bay.  I've bought a couple of the Stens kits on E-Bay and I am very happy with them.  Your piston should have the numbers stamped in the top...STD,  .003   etc. that would be the size rings you will need. :)

oldredrider

Your machinist should be telling YOU what size piston to get. If he isn't...RUN!

Replacement piston size is determined by the guy machining your block. He should be measuring your bore before buying a piston to let you know what size you need. Then bore/hone to the proper Kohler specs with piston in hand.

Edited by oldredrider
  • Like 1

Rustyred

So I've checked out the rebuild kits. Considering that my piston and connecting rod look to be in great shape, is there any reason I should pay more and replace them vs. buying the kit which has the gaskets and rings only?

Fordiesel69

Its all about the measurement........if the carbon ridge on the top of the cylinder wall ate the piston like shown in the photo, or is the side of the piston is under spec'd then yes, I would get a new piston.

Also it has been my personal experiance that the aftermarket pistons are a hair under sized.  So your old worn out piston may be .001 or .002" larger.  Yes this is very scary but I have had this issue.  It is typically not a problem when you are boring it oversized as the machinest can take the measurement exactly and size to bore to the piston.

Picture of carbon ridge damage from another engine:

https://goo.gl/images/Pa4wpv