Sign in to follow this  
"Manic-Mechanic"

Removing Hydro Motor-Seperated System

"Manic-Mechanic"

I have a difficult time trying to remove the two nuts off the hydro motor, anyone have a special tool or procedure to make this any easier? I have a very small off-set box wrench and it is extremely slow going, can the fender and other metal be removed to gain access? I have been removing as much as can be removed, hell of a way to design a tractor.......

IMG_2022.JPG

I am starting to think dropping the transmission completely.......

Edited by Oldman

pacer

Sure, not too bad at all. Remove the tire on right, make up a looong extension with 9/16"socket on 1/2 or 3/8" ratchet (IIRC one long and one medium ext) next find yourself a box end 9/16 wrench for those hidden ones. Reach thru from the right side under the fender and looking down with the seat raised or removed and loosen - I like to use an impact of some kind since its a bit awkward to maneuver a ratchet.. On replacing I again use the box end and put a piece of tape over and snug the nut in the pocket to capture the nut and get it started.

Just another day in the joy of working on our "Big D's!":lol:

Edited by pacer
Closer look at you pic--- looks like your long bolts are backward from all 3 of my D's, the nut is on the moror side, course that wont make any difference in removing them....
  • Excellent 1

"Manic-Mechanic"

I got most all of them out, it's the two nuts up top, hidden and behind the hydro left and right. I can only get on them from the top and a 5th of a turn at a time! You say they are long and come through the housing? Perhaps I can reach them on the other side? Da-hah! I never bothered to look and having had these transmissions apart already, should have realized this fact! Now it's just a matter of freeing up the crap someone else used for a seal!

Edited by Oldman

"Manic-Mechanic"

Well, here it sits and she doesn't rotate hardly at all. Plus the gear is extended by almost 3/16ths, perhaps a broken spring clip? The strainer is fair.

IMG_2077.JPG

IMG_2078.JPG

IMG_2079.JPG