wheelhorsebuckeye

M14 Tach & Hour Meter

wheelhorsebuckeye

Has anyone had any luck adding an hour and tach meter to a Kohler M14 on a 414-8. I've done a little looking but haven't what I'm looking for.

ACman

I found this but don't know if it's what you need .

@fast88pu might know of some tachs too .

oliver2-44

The little tach and hour meter at Northern tool and many places are good but do many do not have a replaceable battery. So after 2 to 3 years they die and you loose your hours

• Excellent 1

fast88pu
2 hours ago, ACman said:

I found this but don't know if it's what you need .

@fast88pu might know of some tachs too .

You could put a mini tach / hour meter combo. A 2" tach for a single cylinder is almost $200. Ouch

wheelhorsebuckeye

Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated. I did some more digging and I did find a Kohler tiny tach that will work with the M14 engine. However like oliver2-44 stated the battery is non replaceable. I may go with a mechanical hour meter and use a timing light to check rpm's. I wonder if the tach ACman mentioned would work on the M series since the ignition system is different from older style k series engines. any thoughts?

I was thinking something like this if I just wanted to track hours. I just freshly rebuilt the engine so I want to start tracking hours and I'm wanting to make sure I have the governor set correctly and she how she runs under load.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CNI7I2Y/ref=s9_acsd_zgift_hd_bw_b1401V_c_x_w?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-5&pf_rd_r=VRGJW4S4TYMD1D63DAK4&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=58535d8f-9751-5564-9e0d-b2d7e1abea21&pf_rd_i=15729741

Edited by wheelhorsebuckeye

Searcher60

Just get a Wheel Horse 520H tach and hour meter, get or make the vertical panel off a WH that had an amp meter and hour meter, install and wire 520H tach and hour meter. Junk yards or ebay has the 520 gauges. Presto.

ACman

@Searcher60 the 520H tach is for a twin cylinder .

Searcher60
3 minutes ago, ACman said:

@Searcher60 the 520H tach is for a twin cylinder .

How's that work as it looks to be wired into the alternator at the regulator? 

ACman
4 minutes ago, Searcher60 said:

How's that work as it looks to be wired into the alternator at the regulator? 

I'm not going to start a pissing match here , but if that works ...Great :greetings-clappingyellow: 

But if it did work on a M series seems someone here would have already done so or knew of someone who did . 

Searcher60

No pissing match intended. I know hooking the 520 tach to the M14 will work, but i do not know if it will read accurately. My point is that the 520 tach is not connected to the ignition. It is reading ac voltage pulses or cycles from the alternator. Maybe someone else in here has tried it.

meadowfield

Not sure about the 520 tach, but my cheap modified ones are wired to the stator. So I know it can work

bds1984

The tach isn't going to know what engine it is connected to, twin or single cylinder. As long as the fly wheel has the same number of magnets, it'll read the pulses correctly. I have a 520 tach on my K341 and M18 with no issues whatsoever. Just connect the tach signal wire to one of the stator wires and run her! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

BOB ELLISON

Check out this post.

I did find a tachometer on ebay that works good on my c160. It was only $44.00 on ebay. When i was doing this

I was looking for a tach that works on the C series engines and I did a lot of research. I dont have any magnum engines but I do have a CH14S on my 2000  314-8. I have another tach I want to put on it. But right now I'm in the middle of rebuilding my deck. So maybe in a week or so I will get to work on installing my tackometer on 314.

I'll post what I find.

After researching the wiring diagrams of the m14 and the ch14 engines they look almost the same to me.

This post has a link to ebay site to order this tach. 

I hope this helps you

wheelhorsebuckeye

I did some 520 searches and the topic linked has some good info. Including the differences between the k series and M series firing cycle along with how a 520 tach was rigged up if someone wanted to go that route. Thanks again for all the input and help. I've been a long time reader and this is my first post for help.