prondzy

Lawn Sweeper

prondzy

So i have been looking for a pull behind type lawn sweeper, I have a 3/4 acre lot  and want one for fall cleanup. What brands are you guys using? Pics would be great! What are your likes and dislikes of the model you have? Thanks!

WVHillbilly520H

I have 2 , an older 42" agri-fab and  a newer 44" agri-fab I really like the new orange 44" (sold at TSC) with the metal dump lever vs the rope that always seems to get wound up in the brushes plus the larger debris hopper and easier to adjust brush pick up height, just my personal experiences, Jeff.

Screenshot_20170908-093058.png

Screenshot_20170908-093132.png

• Like 1

pfrederi

I have one exactly like the first one but it has a different name.  Same problem with the rope.  OK for grass clippings I have too many leaves and it fills up too fast.

• Like 2

WVHillbilly520H
18 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

I have one exactly like the first one but it has a different name.  Same problem with the rope.  OK for grass clippings I have too many leaves and it fills up too fast.

I can actually over load the newer 1 it holds twice if not more than the black 1.

• Like 1

953 nut

I have the 42" Agri-fab and tow it behind the 42" Rear Discharge which grinds up the leaves and gets a lot more than pulling it without the mower.

• Like 2

CasualObserver

I have the 44" orange one... Agri fab SmartSweep is what it's called. Works pretty good. Don't be too deceived by the tall bagger... it can carry quite a bit, but I find I have to stop and adjust the grass in the bag to get more in. Also, mine's older and the metal dump handle didn't last... broke and is generally useless. I usually leave it off. For your size lot I'd go with the smaller unit, mostly because it's easily more seat time, and is less/smaller to store when you're not using it.

• Like 1

prondzy

Awesome Thanks guys! Anyone using a brinly or Ohio Steel model?

oldredrider

I've been using a Brinly for about 15 years now. Works just the way it did when it was new. No parts have ever needed replacing. Brushes are still in excellent condition. 

Only downside is the silly rope dump function. 

I tow this behind a rear discharge deck and it works great.

• Like 2

prondzy

Thanks guys, i ended up purchasing a new brinly sweeper, @CasualObserver you made a great point about the storage space and i remebered the brinly sweeper folds flat for storage. And i really like brinly attachments with their history with:wh:

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H

Glad you're happy with your purchase, the orange sweeper also folds flat as well as the hitch for storage and the hitch could be offset to follow the side discharge while mowing, and I personally have had excellent results with the metal dump handle, we all have our preferences, Jeff.

Screenshot_20170908-185313.png

ol550

bic-lighters-small-assorted-colors-3.jpg.cb61a965e50a6ed1cd0cdf91badeaaa2.jpg

Couple flicks and your almost done.:woohoo:

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Terry M

The smaller agri-fab works good...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

prondzy
3 hours ago, ol550 said:

bic-lighters-small-assorted-colors-3.jpg.cb61a965e50a6ed1cd0cdf91badeaaa2.jpg

Couple flicks and your almost done.:woohoo:

Mike i like your idea, but isnt that for lighting the brown paper bag on your porch?:ROTF:

• Haha 2

Tankman

Used to use a Parker (or Jackson) sweeper worked great.

With 14 acres of woods behind my house, now just blow the leaves away with a backpack or my Little Wonder blower. :handgestures-thumbupright:

ebinmaine
14 minutes ago, Tankman said:

With 14 acres of woods behind my house,

I'm with ya there!

Only 12 acres here but we have a tiny little mowable area that I could hardly call a lawn, lol.

Lawns! who needs 'em!

Sarge

I use an older Craftsman 46" that works pretty well and has held up pretty good doing a 1 acre lawn picking up grass wind rows and of course the leaves every year . The head piece just has pin clips that go in the tubing so the head is stored against the shed wall while the hopper is hoisted up high and out of the way with a rope/pulley system . Picking up the leaves in the fall when they are heavy - I dump the hopper in one area after cleaning the yard , pick up the leaves with the Stihl blower/vac/shredder and reduce them down to little pieces and dump the collection bag in the trailer . This makes them a lot more compact and easier to haul out to the burn pile we have about 1/2 mile away . Takes a little extra time , but worth it compared to 10 trips out there or burning them here....

Have considered using one of the lawn vacs , but just don't have the room to store one out of the weather .

Sarge

shallowwatersailor

Not a sweeper and a bit more expensive - but worth it. I have the largest unit sold at that time. You sometimes can find them used although owners seem to hang on to them until moving on to a different property. I have two acres and mow about 1/2 an acre. Trees surround us so it is about six weeks of "Leaf Patrol" in the fall. I usually fill it about four-five times each use. The second tractor is out where I dump to push the mulched leaves into piles. It picks up that much! Then about three days after I clear the lawn, it is covered over again. The center of the cul-de-sac gets covered over by the end of the season and I clear that as well.

Here are some examples from years past.

DSCF9314.JPG.da159a41c7c5e9ff87af487685d83493.JPG

DSCF9316.JPG.3ec2f81ee7b1478b2c99439c09382885.JPGDSC06305.JPG.497222ac234d95aa945efdc9ce8eb94d.JPG

DSC06310.JPG.7eef1f69ed96e44d1d7d752b33214ef7.JPG

DSCF9322.JPG.cb9758944c55560a9957295a1da2890e.JPG

DSCF9321.JPG.3bf6815147230d3694a4264c0236b7b8.JPG

Edited by shallowwatersailor
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Sarge

I've considered getting one of those for picking up debris around here instead of the sweeper , just not sure how I'd like the discharge hose being in the way of the right side . How well does it pick up grass ?

Sarge