19richie66

:coffee:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

stevebo

Hope everyone is okay...

• Like 1

Racinbob

Our kids are fine and very minimal damage. No power and probably won't get it back for about a week but that's just an inconvenience. :)

• Like 3

953 nut

Our son in Jupiter FL said his power never went off and the only damage was a palm frond going through a screen on the porch.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

Edited by 953 nut
  • Like 3

JPWH

We had lots of trees down in our area but nothing at home, and no power for about 7 hours now.  About a 1000  commercial businesses and 5000 residents without power. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Daddy Don

Keep the faith. Help is on the way just watch the weather and stay safe.

• Like 3

r356c

The kids and grandkids in both Tampa and Gainesville are all safe. Prayers answered!

Both households lost power around 10:00 pm last night and both are back on utility power about 8:00 pm today.

Grocery stores are set to open again tomorrow.

The grandparents a bit north of Orlando are still on generator.

There is usually so much light pollution, the stars are not very visible.

I was able to see the Milky Way Galaxy for the first time since the last big hurricanes tonight.

I did get to spend some quality time with my 23 year old McCulloch Mac Cat chainsaw today.

I've rebuilt the oil pump and fuel lines/primer bulb only once over the years and trust it enough to only keep one gas chainsaw.

It was my first piece of equipment to get a function check when the storm warnings started coming in.

20170911_095803.jpg

Edited by r356c
  • Like 5

Wishin4a416

My nephew and family from Ft myers went North and east 4 hours to ride it out. They returned today to minimal damage and no power. I was very surprised but very happy they didnt have surge damage as predicted as they live right on that river there near the gulf. Have not heard from a cousin in New Port Richey but I believe all is fine.Dont no about anothr cousin in Marathon either. Glad you are safe Ritchie!!!!

• Like 6

19richie66

We made it. Loss power at 1:15 am and still out. Should have it back tonight. Lost a small tree but the shed survived along with all the horses. I actually mowed my yard today.  Thanks for all the thoughts & prayers

• Like 8

WHX??

Good news Ritchie... overall doesn't sound as bad as it could have been but still sucks for many! Prayers for all who endured it.

• Like 3

19richie66

Yeah heartbreaking for some neighborhoods that are almost under water and people with nowhere to go. We are blessed beyond measure. God is good! 

• Like 6
  • Excellent 1

r356c

By the time the snow starts flying, this will be a distant memory.

Florida will still look pretty good for a few days vacation to warm up. :)

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

19richie66

Come on down and hang out!  Seriously if you get to central Florida, shoot me a message. 

• Like 2

Ed Kennell
20 hours ago, 19richie66 said:

Yeah heartbreaking for some neighborhoods that are almost under water and people with nowhere to go. We are blessed beyond measure. God is good! 

Glad to report my Sister in Law in Tampa was also one of the lucky ones.   After spending two nights in a shelter, she has returned to here home to find very minimal damage and her power was restored yesterday.    Have yet to hear from a Cousin in Jacksonville.

• Like 5

ztnoo
10 hours ago, r356c said:

this will be a distant memory.

Florida will still look pretty good

Well, most of Florida will do relative well with bouncing back, but the Lower Keys are going to be a very long time getting back to what they were.

I helped build a house for a close friend 32 years ago on Cudjoe Key, MM 22.

That's where the eye went directly over The Keys.

Everything I've seen from there looks pretty bad.

Check this Miami TV station FB video out:

r356c

There is no doubt this is bad.

The tragic individual stories, deaths and property damage are going to be painful for a long time.

The flooding in downtown Miami is incredible.

Source: The Washington Post via Getty Images

miamigirl.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

r356c

Nearly a week on generator.

Utility power should be in place within 72 hours or so.

It's late. How many years since I have made French toast?

Scramble an egg on a paper plate. Dredge a piece of bread through it on both sides.

Fire up the hot plate. Pour the extra egg in the pan for a treat for the dog.

Butter, cinnamon sugar and honey for toppings.

Life is good.

20170916_014927.jpg

• Like 3

cleat

Here in Eastern Ontario, I lost power for 2 weeks during a large ice storm back in 97 or so.

Had no money for a generator so I had no water but house was heated with wood so we kept warm.

Quickly learned how to cook on the top of a wood stove.

Food in refrigerators was warming up and thawing so we made up big stews and invited the neighbors  over for meals to use it up.

During these types of events you quickly learn the character of your neighbors and friends.

Hope you are powered back up soon.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

ztnoo

While people ***** about difficulties getting back into The Keys after Irma, this COULD HAVE BEEN their reality.
If Irma had stayed farther off the coast of Cuba and maintained its Cat 5 strength, there wouldn't be anything left from where the eye passed over on Cudjoe Key north to Big Pine Key.......and everyone who stayed would likely be dead.
It would have been worse that Barbuda and the other Leeward Islands because of The Keys minimal elevation above water.
Poof.......gone.

‘First Time in 300 Years No One Lives’ on Island Ravaged by Hurricane Irma

http://www.ntd.tv/2017/09/15/first-time-in-300-years-no-one-lives-on-island-ravaged-by-hurricane-irma/

GettyImages-844823692-795x447.jpg

Edited by ztnoo

ztnoo

Monroe County (FL Keys) Sheriff Rick Ramsay issued this statement a short time ago via FB:

" Friends, good news !! Today the middle keys will be opened starting at 9 am. The final wave for the lower keys and Key West will be tomorrow at 7:30. I know that it has been a long time. Please be advised that there is little here for supplies. Bring tarps, tools, generators, water, food, clothing, medication, flashlights and other items that you would need to camp and repair damage. Please drive carefully as there is still debris all around, utility workers are everywhere and public safety vehicles are everywhere. Please get to where you're going and try to stay off of the roads as fuel is limited and we need the roads for recovery units. Water is limited so please do not start washing cars and other stuff or water may not be available for others. If you use tap water, remember to boil it before you drink it. Please be careful out there, thank you. Sheriff"

https://www.facebook.com/rick.ramsay.1?fref=gs&hc_ref=ARTQQqQ4ApZ-YMjrAZi-TWi62wkjqPkIFUYMA7TyrjFs4NiDjIwnn8UiRElfGcnA900&hc_location=group

Middle Keys residents can return Saturday, but Lower Keys will have to wait one more day 

http://www.flkeysnews.com/news/local/article173700731.html

r356c

Thanks Cleat!

I'm a Florida boy. Otherwise known as an early casualty in an ice storm situation.:lol:

Our modern just-in-time delivery system failed for only a couple of days.
Fuel, water and food was pushed in very effectively in my opinion.

Things are a long way from normal, but the basics for life are well in place for a couple of days now.

• Like 1

rjg854

That's great to hear that  the power's that be are on top of things. May the rebuild go good  as well. 

• Like 1

953 nut

Has anyone heard from @gulftane? I know he has had some health issues and his place in Crystal River is quite subject to flooding.

JPWH
28 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

Has anyone heard from @gulftane? I know he has had some health issues and his place in Crystal River is quite subject to flooding.

I got a message from him that he may be going to a friend's that lived on higher ground. I have not heard from him since the storm.

• Thanks 2

rtfbg
1 hour ago, JPWH said:

I got a message from him that he may be going to a friend's that lived on higher ground. I have not heard from him since the storm.

Hey gang.  Got pwr and cable back THUR.  Sorry, should have checked in sooner.  We are very lucky here.  The Beast lives in a garage at 11FT, my old trailer is at 25FT, but surrounded by 65FT  tall FL Long Leaf Pines.  NO DAMAGE, NO FLOODING!!!  With packing up stuff and getting out, then getting back in, my ticker is workin pretty hard.  Nitro patches on top of each other!!  LOL  Things starting to get back to normal here, I know we have some other guys further south, and a few in Houston as well.  Hope they all were at  least as fortunate as us!!

• Like 3
  • Excellent 5