ztnoo

Hurricane Irma: Bad news for Florida

ztnoo

Most of what I have below is from yesterday, and undoubtedly most of you have seen the aftermath scenes today from Barbuda, Anguilla, Saint Martin/St. Maarten, British Virgin Islands, and USVI.

The Turks & Caicos may almost cease to exist after a 15-20' storm surge passes thorough small islands and cays that at maximum are 7-10' above mean high tide.

This is gonna be a life changing event for the state of Florida.

The only real question to remain unanswered is its track as it comes ashore.

Stay tuned.

https://www.usatoday.com/videos/news/nation/2017/09/06/raw-traffic-backs-up-fla.-residents-evacuate/105336664/

The hit in St. Maarten:
https://youtu.be/dA5qYrboTUE

59b1c7d2e5763_Irma2.jpg.c6eb7889f1a7c01aace65c33e5e6f1fa.jpg

Irma.jpg.c757e22ca3c0ae36489b61bf1be079a0.jpg

953 nut

We all need to keep all affected by this storm in our prayers. I went through Andrew 25 years ago and this makes it look like a windstorm by comparison.

• Like 4

oldlineman

I am praying for all in the area, especially my daughter and son in law and three grandsons in south east Ga. We feel so helpless here in Pa.:-(

elcamino/wheelhorse

I hope everyone on both coasts of Florida live safely when  Irma hits. Weatherman on National news tonight said that there is a possibility of storm surge  on both coasts.

r356c

Hurricane Cleo passed through Central Florida in 1964.

I was a small child at the time.  It was very rainy and windy with tree limbs breaking and all that.

The hurricane eye passed over our house. Of course, I ran outside and admired the blue sky.

I still remember the wonder I felt seeing a butterfly flying around during the few minutes inside the eye before the other side of the hurricane hit.

Not many rock songs can stand up to hurricanes.

I chose Rodger Waters - What God Wants last year for hurricane Matthew.

I can't think of a better one for Irma.

Mother nature is a female dog.

• Like 1

AMC RULES

:handgestures-fingerscrossed:  We'll be praying for you Richie.  :pray:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Racinbob

Nancy and my prayers are with you Richie as well as with all the folks down there. We'll be waiting to hear from you as soon as this is over and things are back in service. You have my cell #.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ed Kennell

Praying for all in the path of this storm. Especially you Richie, my Sister in Law in Tampa, and my cousin in Jacksonville.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19richie66

Thanks Everyone! And ,Yes sir Bob... I got your number👍. And I want to apologize for not keeping in touch as much as I would like. But as with everyone, we get busy and things happen. But I appreciate all the thoughts and prayers. Gonna be putting the horses to work next week I can see already. 

Edited by 19richie66
  • Like 4
  • Excellent 1

dclarke

Praying for you, Richie and all of Florida.... My daughter and S.I.L. from Tampa left last night and are now near Montgomery, Alabama headed home. They avoided the interstate and had little problem with traffic and were able to find gas near Tallahassee. 

• Like 2

JC 1965

My wife has family in Datona Beach and Jacksonville. I don't know if they're  going to ride out the storm or go inland til it passes. I hope they went inland. We're praying they will be ok. Just sent prayers for them and everyone affected by the storm.

• Like 1

19richie66

I know it's appreciated!

Daddy Don

My son and his wife live in the Bahamas and the company he works for evacuated them to North Carolina. Hope they still have a place to live in and all they own is still there. The main thing is they are ok. Everything else can be replaced. Praying for everyone that is in the storms path.

• Like 7

ClassicTractorProfessor

Prayers from Oklahoma for the safety and well-being of everyone in the path of this terrible storm 

47 minutes ago, Daddy Don said:

My son and his wife live in the Bahamas and the company he works for evacuated them to North Carolina. Hope they still have a place to live in and all they own is still there. The main thing is they are ok. Everything else can be replaced. Praying for everyone that is in the storms path.

Glad to hear that Steve and his wife are safe here in the States. Will be praying for them as they return home after the storm had passed 

• Like 2

ztnoo

Looks like Irma is emerging back out into open water after brushing the northern coast of Cuba. This thing is about to get revved up again. Looks to be headed straight for the Lower Keys and Key West. This ain't gonna be pretty. I helped repair damage on a house I helped a friend build in the winter if '85-'86 in 2000 after Hurricane George which was a high Cat 2 hit the area. The storm had an 8' storm surge. Didn't damage the house as it was on piers with the tie beams to the house at 11' above Mean High Tide. Screwed his ground level garage up, but it had concrete piers and tie beams with framed "break away" walls to enclose it at ground level, so it was repairable. I can't imagine what the entire property will look like after Irma marches thru tonight. Bad news!

Follow the live radar loop from the Key West NWS office. The link doesn't automatically refresh, so you'll need to do that in the area below the image on the far right using the "Refresh" button.

https://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?rid=BYX&product=NCR&overlay=11101111&loop=yes

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

Looks like it is centered on the West coast with a direct hit on Tampa.    Just talked to my Sister in Law that lives South of Tampa.   Glad to report She is safe in a shelter.

Edited by Ed Kennell
  • Like 4

ztnoo

The west coast is particularly susceptible to storm surge, much more so than the generally higher east coast. It is generally very flat with not much elevation above Mean High Tide. Mile after mile after mile flat.

The southwest and west facing bays and inlets (Marco Island, Naples, Cape Coral/Ft. Myers estuaries, Port Charlotte, and in particular, Tampa Bay, are sitting ducks for the way the storm is heading.

Huge volumes of water are going to be literally rammed into those areas. It won't be a one time event. It will go on for hours.

The insurances losses will be astronomical.

• Sad 1

19richie66

I have also family in Tampa and they are riding it out. I pray for thier safety. Gonna be rough on the west coast. East coast is going to get a pounding from the surf but not as bad as the west.  It's just bad all the way around. If it stays on course,I will get just at or above hurricane force winds and lots of rain. Horses are strapped,taped and shoved up by the house for protection. I REALLY need a garage. Praying for the best. See ya on the other side:thumbs:

• Like 4

953 nut
14 minutes ago, 19richie66 said:

Horses are strapped,taped and shoved up by the house for protection.

In preparation for Andrew in '92 a neighbor wrapped his tool box and mower with a tarp and ratchet strapped them together to protect them if the roof of his shed developed a leak. Next day the shed was gone, but the tools and mower were safe and dry.

18 minutes ago, 19richie66 said:

Praying for the best. See ya on the other side.

We are all praying for all in Florida.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Daddy Don

We have to pray for everyone in the path of all the storms. It will take years to recover from all of this. Keep the faith and thanks to everyone for your thoughts. 

• Like 4

r356c

Florida Governor Rick Scott deeply respects the power of hurricanes.

Did he come by that from his time in the Navy? I don't know.

I do know that a division of line men are already staged to get utility power restored. (Yes, I am on generator now.)

That is military thinking. It's good to live in the USA!

• Like 3

19richie66

I keep watching the news, YouTube and listening to my roof creaking in the wind. So far so good. Got a lake in my back yard. Lot of my neighbors have no power but so far some of us are lucky. They said it was going west but this sucker is coming straight up the middle of the state. The eye is about 40 miles from me. We are getting 60-80 mph wind. Hanging tough though. Just made a pot of coffee:coffee:

• Like 6

r356c

Greenish lightning strikes every few minutes.

Those are actually pole transformers blowing up or high tension lines crossing from the high winds or trees falling on them.

It must be a tough call to not shut down the local grids to save damage to equipment.

• Like 4

JPWH

You all be safe. I'm praying for you. I'm having a cup of coffee with you Richie.

• Like 2