drewd

Start then no Start

drewd

Started on the 416-8 that I picked up two weekends ago (posted under tractors).  The PO thought it was the starter but that is turning fine.  I have been able to start the engine by jumping at the solenoid and it runs quite well for not being started in a year or more.  Seems really decent.  My issue is it may or may not crank with the key!  First thing to mention is the battery is charged. The night before last I turned key to start and it cranked but did not fire right off so I let up and hit it again.  This time it barely started to crank, then hit it again and nothing it just stopped trying (it acted like a dead battery from the first crank that gives you just a bit before getting worse on the second and nothing on the third try).  Last night gave it a squirt of WD 40 in the carb and plug then turned the key and cranked strong and started right up (as I mentioned the battery is charged but tonight it acted like it!) .  Then I let it run a bit to warm up going from slow idle to full throttle then back down.  Shut it off with key waited a minute and NOTHING!  Let it cool down to where the muffler was cool to the touch and still nothing.  Any idea where I should start?  Thanks!! 

gwest_ca

You will find this file handy. Each circuit has it's own diagram. Click on the picture below.

Garry

953 nut

With any electrical problem the first step should be to clean and tighten ALL electrical connections including grounds, that will cure about 90 % of them.

• Like 1

SPINJIM

I had exactly the same symptoms two weeks ago.  Turned out to be a bad connector on the solenoid.    A little vibration or temperature change would break the connection.   If I jumped the solenoid, I was bypassing the loose connector.   I almost spent money on a new solenoid before I decided to check all of the terminal clips.  

Good luck,   Jim

• Like 1

oldredrider

Just finished fixing a 312 with the same problem. Long story short, solenoid was bad. Checked all connections first to eliminate that as an issue. 

Bench tested the bad solenoid and it would not give consistent OHM readings when energized. Replaced it and problem solved.:)

• Like 2

drewd

The ignition switch is not great.  I cleaned it the best I could but one of the terminals is a bit loose.  It turns and starts right up but you have to be gentle with the switch.  I ordered a new switch and wire connector and fuse holders as they looked worse for the wear.  Thanks for everyone's help! 

953 nut
22 minutes ago, drewd said:

I ordered a new switch and wire connector and fuse holders as they looked worse for the wear.

:woohoo:             Hope that fixes it.