Bob Nakon

Mower deck spindle

Bob Nakon

I have a question about a mower deck I just bought. It's a 05-42MS02. It looks pretty good and the price was right, but now I have it on the bench and took the blades off and 2 of the spindles have an undercut where the blade seats, looks like the blade came loose and spun on them. Has anyone seen this? Is there a fix for this? For sure the blade will rattle around in that groove. My other deck is old and has the double d shaft so no slip there. I'm guessing the nuts have to be torqued down really tight to keep the blade from spinning.

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

Bob

953 nut

:WRS:     I had the same problem on one of mine. The solution I came up with was a 3/4" internal tooth lock washer between the spindle and blade which locked it in place and moved down the spindle far enough to center it again.

image.jpeg.6b748d1f0c84103c3e6a041faea993d6.jpeg

• Like 2

Bob Nakon

Thanks 953 Nut. So the OD of the washer is 3/4, or the ID, and it just spaces the blade up enough to fit the spindle properly?

953 nut

The inside  diameter of the washer is 3/4 and it will help lock the blade and lift it enough to center it on the portion of the shaft that has not been worn down.

Bob Nakon

Got it. Thanks very much.

daveoman1966

Of course, placing the lock washer behind the blade will cause the blade to cut a bit lower than the other two spindles....if you are going for a golf course putting green that is...  manicured...otherwise...  not a concern as most of us use them as brush-hogs anyway..

Edited by daveoman1966
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Bob Nakon

Well, 2 out of 3 spindles have this undercut so I'll probably shim all 3 of them, and you are right, I use it as a brush hog. With the 2 decks, I'm thinking I'll have one that I keep just for mowing...carefully, and one for rougher work and the Trac-Vac. We'll see how that goes.

• Like 1

gwest_ca

The screen shots of the spindle assemblies have the torque specs. Click on the fuzzy picture below and when the page opens click on the others to enlarge them.

Garry

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Bob Nakon

Thanks Garry. So 80-120 lbs of torque. I'm going to use my impact wrench, I have no idea what 120 lbs of torque feels like. Just let it rip I guess.

• Excellent 2