jellybean

ST-326 chain replacement

jellybean

Two years ago my chain fell off my ST-326 snow blower. I put it back on and the first time I used it last year it broke. I have a new chain and it is cut to length, should I put it back on and try to put the repair link on then, which I have tried several times with no success, or is there a way to put the chain back on after the link is attached without damaging it?

pfrederi

Loosen the bolt holding the lower idler.  it is in a slot you can slide it back to give you slack enough to insert your repair link then push it back down and tighten it

jellybean

Thank you pfrederi, I didn't realize that was slotted, that should make life a lot easier. If it's not raining tomorrow I'll give it a try. I think we may be in for an early winter.

gwest_ca

You may know this but the rounded end of the master link retainer must face the direction of chain rotation. Ice has been known to push the retainer off if the split end strikes an object first as it goes around.

Garry

• Like 2

pfrederi
3 hours ago, gwest_ca said:

You may know this but the rounded end of the master link retainer must face the direction of chain rotation. Ice has been known to push the retainer off if the split end strikes an object first as it goes around.

Garry

Good info I didn't know that.  Thanks

jellybean

Thank you Garry, I didn't know that and never would have even thought of it. I bought this snowblower used about 1986 and other than replacing the belt and regular maintenance  I've never had to do anything to it.

rjg854

I didn't know that either. I put a new chain on my thrower last year. I'm going to have to check that out. Hmmmm?

jellybean

I finally got a chance to work on it today. It only took a few minutes and went together real nice and easy. Thanks again pfrederi! And I remembered to put the link in how Garry suggested. Let it snow.

• Like 1