giantsean

D Series motion control assembly - difference and how to fix?

giantsean

Hi All,

One of my D's developed a problem... call it unintended acceleration :P  What happened is the motion control pivot looks to have sheared off.  This is not the U-shaped yoke design but rather the "all in one" motion control + parking brake (though the brake is disconnected).  I am not sure which design is older or newer.

Because I need to use it ASAP, I wanted to see what options I have to fix.  I have searched for a replacement but have found nothing online (or most have been the other design).  I can try to weld it, or in the worst case I have another parts tractor w/ u-design, but I am not sure this design can be retrofitted successfully, at least w/o a huge job.

Hopefully someone has seen this before and has a good direction... thanks for any info!

IMG_20170907_084009260.jpg.67aada4549b93fdc19b672894cb35ae6.jpg

IMG_20170905_181113027.jpg

Sarge

There are several of those controls complete showing up on Ebay often - probably you're best bet would be to grab another one . Mine was worn badly at just about every moving part in it - but I have a lathe to make new parts and a tig welder . Might want to ask around at the welding shops , some of those guys also own machining equipment and can whip up new parts as needed - a lot cheaper than regular machine shops will charge too...guy next to me does it all the time as he runs into odd and worn out stuff he's welding . Almost any welder that works on farm equipment will have this capability...just ask around .

Sarge

• Like 1

giantsean

Thanks Sarge.

So I got it apart, and lo and behold it is not broken at all, rather it's just the world's crappiest design.  The bracket that goes into that knuckle is meant to be tightened down, with no other point of attachment to the thing that moves your tractor back and forth.  The nut to tighten it down goes through the side plate and if you want to ask how you can tighten that down and still allow the lever to move, I would also love to know the answer :P.  I didn't get far enough to find out, but I suspect that there was some sort of bushing that pushed through both parts and held everything together.  Still terrible.

I ended up pulling the whole MC assembly off my D180 parts rig and with some adjustment it works fabulously (and is about an 8000x better design, provided you don't need a parking brake, which I don't).  Up and running again in just under an hour!

Edited by giantsean
  • Like 1

Sarge

For what it does , the thing is quite complicated . I think a lot of the issue of it's design was that it had to deal with vibration from the twin opposed engine and still work with the brake pedal's center return - plus the way the pumps are mounted on the D in the divorced system . Download the manual - the parts are outlined decently and all the adjustments are there - once set up properly they work well .

The D is one machine that really begged for a twin foot pedal design for the travel controls - but if it had turning brakes that would be a real pain to operate .

Sarge

• Like 1

DarrellF

Working on a foot control just haven't had time to get it all laid out to do testing keep ya posted 🤔

• Like 2