Chris G

701 Black Horse

953 nut

:text-coolphotos:     Very nice complete tractor, a little body work on the hood and you will have a great restoration project there.

• Like 2

Jim Demery
2 hours ago, Chris G said:

So one of my bucket list tractors has been a 701. I've came across many but couldn't make a deal happen or there just wasn't enough of a 701 to restore. Picked up a few that were bits and pieces of a 701. But they were broke down and shelved  for parts inventory. But came across this one on CL last Friday and I inquired. Well the gentlemen offered to deliver it on his way to work and give me paperwork for it and extra parts. So I didn't even knock down the price. He said he swore up and down the machine runs great and he mowed with it until the front spindle broke. So he delivered it this morning! I had a extra spindle waiting and battery. Well she fired right up and drove around like a dream! Even came with 4 nice hubcaps.  Now just got to give it a complete tear down and go through it top to bottom and bring it back to new! I'll post the serial number when i get chance to slowly remove some paint.

20170906_131207.jpg

20170906_131214.jpg

20170906_131246.jpg

20170906_131222.jpg

20170906_131255.jpg

20170906_131251.jpg

20170906_131348.jpg

Nice find! Did the gentleman you got it from have it for a long time? In looking carefully at the photo of the rear, I notice it doesn't appear to have the correct rear fenders. They appear to be from a 62-64 round hood. They don't have the tell-tale sharp points or the fender supports under the seat. But a very nice find nonetheless! 701's are getting hard to find, in any condition! :text-coolphotos:

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Chris G

He said he was the second owner. And you are correct on the fenders. The. Tool box is correct. But it's missing the original  rear fenders and the fender support bracket. Everything else was correct or he had the correct parts in a box.

Pollack Pete

Unless someone had an over abundance of black paint,why would someone paint a WH black?Nice little tractor though.Have fun with your new toy.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Jim Demery
1 minute ago, Chris G said:

He said he was the second owner. And you are correct on the fenders. The. Tool box is correct. But it's missing the original  rear fenders and the fender support bracket. Everything else was correct or he had the correct parts in a box.

I think the seat is supposed to be a square pan. I'd send you some pics of my 701, but until I upgrade to a supporter, I can't upload anymore. 

Chris G

That's one thing I wasn't exactly sure of. Most I've seen don't have a square pan, but that doesn't mean there right.

WHX??

Excellent score and save Chris... 701 is in my bucket as well ..... just something about the double SG belt guard! 

We've been through  this many times Pete.... why would anyone paint a :wh: anything other than RED...guess we are the only ones who know better!:lol:

Good luck with her Chris!:handgestures-thumbupright:

After further review. ..the foot rests are keepers!:greetings-clappingyellow:

AND yes square pan but that's neither here nor ther

@Jim Demery..... get going on that supportership...we need those :text-coolphotos: :ychain:

Edited by WHX12
  • Like 3

Chris G

Thanks and thanks again for the conformation on the square pan.

• Excellent 2

Jim Demery
22 minutes ago, WHX12 said:

Excellent score and save Chris... 701 is in my bucket as well ..... just something about the double SG belt guard! 

We've been through  this many times Pete.... why would anyone paint a :wh: anything other than RED...guess we are the only ones who know better!:lol:

Good luck with her Chris!:handgestures-thumbupright:

After further review. ..the foot rests are keepers!:greetings-clappingyellow:

AND yes square pan but that's neither here nor ther

@Jim Demery..... get going on that supportership...we need those :text-coolphotos: :ychain:

It's coming soon! 

• Like 1

WHX??

Actually Chris after further  further review those fenders and seat pan do look nice ...I would contemplate leaving them !?!? Might look different in red/white if you are not going the original look?

• Like 2

Chris G

The seat and fenders are in great shape. I have a square pan I can use for the restoration. And I'll probably see what  I can do about locating some original fenders and brace. I'll just hang those fenders on the wall for another project.

• Excellent 2

WHX??

Sounds like a good plan! :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

Jim Demery
44 minutes ago, Chris G said:

Thanks and thanks again for the conformation on the square pan.

20170817_105227.jpg

Screenshot_2017-08-17-12-31-40.png

• Like 4
  • Excellent 2

WHX??

Oh now  that's sweet Jimbo :greetings-clappingyellow: thats what we're taking... Thanks for sharing! :handgestures-thumbupright:

BTW your name looks good in RED!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Jim Demery
48 minutes ago, WHX12 said:

Oh now  that's sweet Jimbo :greetings-clappingyellow: thats what we're taking... Thanks for sharing! :handgestures-thumbupright:

BTW your name looks good in RED!

20170826_075110.jpg

20170819_084254.jpg

20170801_194650.jpg

• Like 2

Jim Demery

I have a 702 project that I will start in the spring. I hope it turns out looking as good as the 701. I will post pictures of it during and on completion. 

20170213_132944.jpg

• Like 4

Chris G

Well your 701 looks great! I got a 702 I just finished up earlier this year. It was a custom project me and my boy did. 

IMG_20170518_124811669.jpg

• Like 5

WHX??

Not too shabby a 400 there either Chris... hood patina is nice... solid seat pan might suggest an early '60 ??? :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2

Jim Demery
3 hours ago, Chris G said:

Well your 701 looks great! I got a 702 I just finished up earlier this year. It was a custom project me and my boy did. 

IMG_20170518_124811669.jpg

Nice little ride there Chris! Really like the hood ornament! :text-coolphotos:

Did you have your tank chromed ? Or just buffed and polished? 

• Like 1

Chris G

WHX12 that is a 1960 400. And Jim thanks and the tank I actually did a bunch of sanding to smooth it out and then just hand polished with purple polish.

• Excellent 2

PeacemakerJack
16 hours ago, Jim Demery said:

I have a 702 project that I will start in the spring... I will post pictures of it during and on completion. 

20170213_132944.jpg

Make sure you start a restoration thread on that one--I'll be following it for sure:handgestures-thumbupright:

You do great work!

• Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

WHX??
2 hours ago, Chris G said:

WHX12 that is a 1960 400.

Yes knew that Chris, Mine has the solid seat pan & pretty much the same patina. It's been said the 400s with the solid pans were possibly made very early in '60.

20160813_165557.jpg

• Like 3

Mikey the Monkey

Thats really nicr Chris. How do you find this stuff? I search Craigslist everyday and I missed this! Does your nose just catch far off Wheel Horse whiffs?:mellow:

• Like 1

Jim Demery
3 hours ago, PeacemakerJack said:

Make sure you start a restoration thread on that one--I'll be following it for sure:handgestures-thumbupright:

You do great work!

Thanks Jack 

• Like 1