FatJackDurham

Upgrading stator to 20 amp questions

FatJackDurham

So everyone dreams of having a loader on their tractor right? But there is the building, the hydraulics, the framing and attachment, what a hassle.

But it might be easier to use a plow frame, attach a pivot box on the front and use that as a lowlevel bucket, just to move mulch around the yard. Especially if you have GT-14 with a hydraulic to do the lift. All you would need is an electric linear actuator to do the dumping. And, if you have a GT-14, you already have a cigarette lighter to plug it or a winch in when you have it attached.

So, a decent linear actuator for this small application would draw about 15 amps under load. I am not sure how many amps my GT-14 stator produces, but I know I can add a 15/20 amp stator to the K321 engine. My question is, if I do that, what else to I need to do to make sure it all works? Is there a different condenser for the sparks? A different solinoid? I different voltage regulator or rectifier?

953 nut

Why not just get a "Johnny Bucket"?

Image result for johnny bucket

• Like 1

gwest_ca

Here is a parts list. Both the 60125b and 60149a specs show 15 amp stator.

• Like 1

FatJackDurham
3 hours ago, 953 nut said:

Why not just get a "Johnny Bucket"?

Building one is what I had in mind. I think I can do it cheaper that the $1500 that a Johnny costs.

• Like 2

953 nut
14 minutes ago, FatJackDurham said:

Building one is what I had in mind. I think I can do it cheaper that the $1500 that a Johnny costs.

:wwp:       Probably has been done, may be able find an internet article on it.

FatJackDurham
3 hours ago, gwest_ca said:

Here is a parts list. Both the 60125b and 60149a specs show 15 amp stator.

Mine is a 6010B, and going by the 6010 spec, if I am reading correctly, it's a 10 amp system, breaker less. There is a 15 amp stator that I could use, and the only other parts I would need would be a rectifier and a trigger lead.

Still probably not a good idea....

FatJackDurham

I see the specific stator for the K321 is unavailable, and people are charging stupid prices for it. The same stator for the K341 engine is much cheaper. I wonder if it would work? The K341 seems to have been identical to the K321 except the cylinder bore and head. Even the shaft is the same, so I wonder if the flywheel and stator parts are the same.....

cafoose

I successfully converted my GT-14 from 10 amp to 15 amp and also converted from electronic ignition to points :banana-wrench:Here are some threads on how I did it:

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

gwest_ca
12 hours ago, FatJackDurham said:

Mine is a 6010B, and going by the 6010 spec, if I am reading correctly, it's a 10 amp system, breaker less. There is a 15 amp stator that I could use, and the only other parts I would need would be a rectifier and a trigger lead.

Still probably not a good idea....

Spec 6010b is correct for the 1969 and 1970 GT-14's. Toro has incorrectly listed the engine as 60125b and knew that but missed it.

Garry

pfrederi

If the linear actuator only draws 15 amps even 20 why change the charging system.  You are not operating the actuator a dump control continually, probably only a small fraction of the time.  Battery will cover draw and then be recharged between uses.  If you have a breakerless system the engine isn't using any other electricity for a ignition system so between uses of the actuator the battery will be getting well charged...unless you are working in the dark with lights on....

• Excellent 2

FatJackDurham
1 hour ago, pfrederi said:

If the linear actuator only draws 15 amps even 20 why change the charging system.  You are not operating the actuator a dump control continually, probably only a small fraction of the time.  Battery will cover draw and then be recharged between uses.  If you have a breakerless system the engine isn't using any other electricity for a ignition system so between uses of the actuator the battery will be getting well charged...unless you are working in the dark with lights on....

To do that, I would hook directly to the battery, I guess. You don't thing that would still cause an issue? It could work, i guess. I'll price out the steel need for a POC and see if it's worth trying.

13 hours ago, cafoose said:

I successfully converted my GT-14 from 10 amp to 15 amp and also converted from electronic ignition to points :banana-wrench:Here are some threads on how I did it:

Cool! I'll check that out! I was curious about that. Why did you switch to points, may I ask? To get a tachometer to work? I was thinking of doing it to convert it to fuel injection turbo, merely as a thought experiment. I don't have the skills to really do it.

cafoose
1 hour ago, FatJackDurham said:

Why did you switch to points, may I ask? To get a tachometer to work?

When I got the tractor the wiring was hacked and it didn't run for five years according to the previous owner. I am unfamiliar with the old breakerless ignition and heard that the parts are expensive and hard to find so I found an engine with a broken rod for $50 that had all the parts I needed for the conversion.

• Like 1

pfrederi

Incidentally I do not think Kohler made a 20 amp system for the K series.  10 15 and a rare one 30  which I have only seen on the big  iron twins K482/532.  May be on some singles but not many....

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 1

elcamino/wheelhorse

@FatJackDurham I use a Linear actuator on my 310--8 to raise and lower my rear hitch. Never had any problem with the electric system since it was installed .