Rob R

Kohler Courage Swap to Kohler Pro

Rob R

Hi folks Brewster Rob here, was gifted a Cub Cadet LTX 1040 in great shape other then a completely blown 19HP in-famous Kohler Courage SV590, today I acquired a 17HP Pro OHV CV490S in perfect running condition.... so I want to swap the engines. They have identical vertical shafts question is the electrical. The Courage had four wires coming from the engine red/green/white/purple, the Pro has 3 white, 1blk and 1 red.  I also have the alternator and regulator from the blown Courage.... might I be able to swap alternators???  I of course have the old Courage key switch I do NOT have the new engine key switch.........  Need help from the Red Square wizards and PLEASE think about the best result way to go here.... thank you in advance. 

953 nut

Your best bet is to get a wiring diagram for the Cub and whatever the other engine came from. There is little or no standardization of colors from one maker to another.

You could bolt it down and start the engine and use a volt meter to see what each wire is producing. 

• Like 2

gwest_ca

Here is a start. Click on the pictures

Garry

• Like 3

Rob R

Okay thanks going through the manuals as we speak.  Does anyone know if the alternators can be swapped, I have the rectifier from the old Courage engine and the harness. 

The good Kohler Pro engine came off a Craftsman Tractor I do not have the model # of it was the basic Green hydro cheapo model. Would be super if I could then I could just plug and play to the old harness........ 

Rob R

Okay so did the swap and hope to complete it tomorrow. I had to do some minor side frame work (oil filter was hitting right side support). Spent hours comparing the Kohler Courage to the Kohler Pro electric wiring configuration 953 nut was correct all the wire colors were different so you just need to verify voltages and where they are going to (old to new) bottom-line had to remove from the nine pin Molex connector the two AC wires (that were previously used for the lights) and that was it. My thanks to Ed Stoller who helped verify that was all that needed to be changed.

Engine cranked and I had spark, also the fluid solenoid was operating. Tomorrow will do the final bolt down of the engine, re-install the fuel tank and Drive Pulley and see if she drives and charges.....

• Like 2

Rob R

Done deal, had to lengthen the muffler pipe from the engine 2 inches, cleaned the mounting holes (to make a good ground, the existing fuel tank, and accelerator cable fit perfectly, installed the bottom double pulley, connected the molex plug, put the battery in and she started right up took her for a spin NO issues runs great.... tomorrow will

install the mower deck and see if we can cut some grass!  Thanks once again for the help...... 

Edited by Rob R

Aldon

Where are the obligatory pics?? 

:think:

Rob R

Okay Aldon you asked for it here's the pics, I am very pleased with the results was worth the efforts, many thanks for the help rec'd. 

Cub Cadet LTX 1040 (15).JPG

Cub Cadet LTX 1040 (16).JPG

Cub Cadet LTX 1040 (17).JPG

Cub Cadet LTX 1040 (18).JPG

Cub Cadet LTX 1040 (19).JPG

Cub Cadet LTX 1040 (20).JPG

Cub Cadet LTX 1040 (6).JPG

Cub Cadet LTX 1040 (7).JPG

Cub Cadet LTX 1040 (8).JPG

Cub Cadet LTX 1040 (9).JPG

• Like 1

Aldon