TravelinJavelin

Beware of C/L people

TravelinJavelin

i don't know about you guys but yesterday i had a gentleman that was coming up yesterday to look at my wheel horses and said after church....... great so i waited around well nothing then i texted him and his response was not today.......now i'm a little ticked off waited around could of texted me to say something earlier in the day and had other people responding to the ads too so anyway moved to the next person played phone tag for quite some time dickering on price well for 2 tractors and snowblowers thought was going to get everything for $500.00 and told him might buy 1 and a blower but not all so he kept on about the C series wasn't worth more then $300.00 and by this time i'm getting irratated and told him forget everything were done until he got serious then insulted me telling me i know nothing about wheel horse's and so on and well just responded ...good luck then he responds ....i don't need luck ! So that told me how very conceited he was and arrogant and to top it all off he calls a MOFO if you know what i mean so i know that the number was from some where out of CT and not implying all CT folks are like this ........so anyways look out for these sore looser type i can't get it for what i offered price and you should be greatful attitude people

Edited by TravelinJavelin
  • Like 3

WHX??

Welcome to our world Javlin, just please don't judge an Indian by the color of his feathers if you get my drift. That's been done in our history before. Just let it go, chalk it up to experience, don't  let it rattle you  and move on with your sale/search and hopefully get to deal with good folk. Ther has been more than one good piece of advice from the fellas here on dealing with CL crazies :)

BTW next time some idiot tells you you don't  know squat  about :wh: tell him that may well be but you got bros that do!

• Like 6

TravelinJavelin

also i've noticed a trend too that these were text message people too which i'm not a fan of at all or texting in general and i've put on the ads too no texting but sometimes reply anyways thinking i might lose a sale or something so anyways i just thought i'd ask to see what everyone else gets for a response

• Like 1

stevebo

I learned not to respond to any texts and put in my ads calls only. I also don't like when the seller has not phone numbers. 

• Like 2

ACman

I use the CL email link seems the safest to me anyways . When I respond to a ad with the link it's all in how they respond back if I proceed . If I get a bite I'll tell them to give me their number and call them back on a unlisted number explaining why . I don't know you and you don't know me just protecting protecting both party's interests . I use the house phone (yep still have one) *67 then the number . If they want it bad enough they understand and I also try to meet them at public place so we both feel safe .

Edited by ACman
  • Like 2

SPINJIM

I agree with the "NO TEXTING AVAILABLE" and "PHONE ONLY" being added to my CL ads.    With three computers and two flip phones in my house, I don't have any need for a smart phone anyway.    I've  also seen too many scams coming through texts.    And when they phone me, I always ask for their cell phone number so that I can confirm they are coming when they say they are.   My time is too valuable to waste it on deadbeats.    Most WH buyers are dependable and honest, and the bad ones are not worth getting your blood pressure up.

• Like 2

TDF5G

I just went through this from the other end dealing with people trying to find a used vehicle for my daughter.  You get all kinds. So many people don't respond to calls or texts when indicated in the ad. I don't understand that.  Some were sold but they don't take down the ad.  Drove an hour to meet one guy in a public place we agreed on to look at his vehicle and the jackwagon never showed up.  I could tell more but I'll quit.

The more you deal with people, the more odd things you run into.  There are bad folks out there but there are good ones too.  You have to weed out the bad ones, and deal with the good ones IMO. :)

• Like 3

19richie66

Just bought a k341 for my tractor off cl. Emailed the guy, one word reply. Texted him later and we texted back and forth. When I got serious to buy, I arranged a call time so we could set up a meeting. So Im talking to the guy, he tells me to call him when I hit the interstate. No problem. He texts me an address of a shopping plaza to meet him at. I call him on the way and he said the engine is not where I live. :scratchead: so I said okay and called him when I got to the parking lot. He said he would come by and pick me up because the place was close but in the woods. :think:Im thinking Deliverance now with banjos playing in the background. Told my wife who's with me I may never come back. So when he called me on the way I asked him "how am I supposed to get the motor if you take me to it and I leave my truck here"? "Oh no, you just have to follow me because you will never find it by address" ......so we followed, and I see why he said that. Never would have known a house was back there. Then it started pouring down rain as he was trying to start it . Anyways, it worked out. Nice guy, got the engine(less than 50hrs on it) and made it home safe. Somethings just didnt add up and I was cautious but The Good Lord looked out for me! My wife laughed about the Deliverance thing. Says i worry too much.

Edited by 19richie66
  • Like 4
  • Excellent 2

BaySide1
17 hours ago, 953 nut said:

If a person tells me the price is too high without seeing it first hand I just tell them good by and hang up. As for the no show, I always tell potential buyers I will accept the first cash in hand buyer and if they can't come now I have no intention of holding it for them unless they want to make a Paypal payment sight unseen.

Be ccareful with PayPal too. Some sore looser could always buy your stuff and then make a claim that the item was Significantly Not As Described resulting in a chargeback.

If they agree to a Friends and Family Transaction then there is no recourse unless PayPal has changed that Policy.

• Haha 1

rmaynard

eBay does not permit PayPal "friends and family" payments directly. You must handle that type of payment outside of eBay, and directly with the seller, which is against eBay policy. In such a case, buyer protection is null and void.  I have done thousands of eBay transactions, and I will only pay with PayPal and will only accept PayPal as payment, and all payments must be handled through eBay directly. Because of that, I never have any problems on eBay. I hate the fees though, but it's worth it when the whole USA is your marketplace.

Craigslist, on the other hand, is not worth the risk to me.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
19 hours ago, 953 nut said:

If a person tells me the price is too high without seeing it first hand I just tell them good by and hang up. As for the no show, I always tell potential buyers I will accept the first cash in hand buyer and if they can't come now I have no intention of holding it for them unless they want to make a Paypal payment sight unseen.

Yup Yup Yup !

I NEVER take an offer or discus $$$ until the person is THERE looking. Learned the hard way a few too many times...

Like 'Nut... I don't mean to be rude or short with people... but I've had a few occasions myself of others no-showing.

1 hour ago, rmaynard said:

Craigslist, on the other hand, is not worth the risk to me.

I take CASH as payment. Given directly to me, in person. Fine for most of us who aren't running a bizz like Bob M. He makes sense on the paypal thing too.

2 hours ago, 19richie66 said:

Just bought a k341 for my tractor off cl. Emailed the guy, one word reply. Texted him later and we texted back and forth. When I got serious to buy, I arranged a call time so we could set up a meeting. So Im talking to the guy, he tells me to call him when I hit the interstate. No problem. He texts me an address of a shopping plaza to meet him at. I call him on the way and he said the engine is not where I live. :scratchead: so I said okay and called him when I got to the parking lot. He said he would come by and pick me up because the place was close but in the woods. :think:Im thinking Deliverance now with banjos playing in the background. Told my wife who's with me I may never come back. So when he called me on the way I asked him "how am I supposed to get the motor if you take me to it and I leave my truck here"? "Oh no, you just have to follow me because you will never find it by address" ......so we followed, and I see why he said that. Never would have known a house was back there. Then it started pouring down rain as he was trying to start it . Anyways, it worked out. Nice guy, got the engine(less than 50hrs on it) and made it home safe. Somethings just didnt add up and I was cautious but The Good Lord looked out for me! My wife laughed about the Deliverance thing. Says i worry too much.

LOVE this story... good stuff.

The way out in the woods thing though... kinda like Much of our area, eh @TravelinJavelin ?

10 hours ago, stevebo said:

I learned not to respond to any texts and put in my ads calls only

Agreed... and I also like to "feel out" by voice tone how the person is... simply can not do that by the written word of some people.

10 hours ago, TravelinJavelin said:

sometimes reply anyways thinking i might lose a sale or something

When it sells it sells.... no worries. You've never lost a sale from someone who was actually serious about the purchase in the first place... only the dubbahs who were wasting your time.

• Like 3

953 nut
2 hours ago, BaySide1 said:

f they agree to a Friends and Family Transaction then there is no recourse

That is what I was referring to, friends and family. No one has ever accepted the sight unseen offer but it tends to get the real interested buyers to realize that they aren't going to keep me from selling to someone else.

• Like 1

Chris G

I respond back to texts by saying please call if your serious. And all emails I reply to with please send a good contact number for me to reach you or please call me at your convenience. And so far (knock on wood) that method has been pretty good for me. 

• Like 1

Dakota8338
On 9/5/2017 at 6:12 AM, stevebo said:

I learned not to respond to any texts and put in my ads calls only. I also don't like when the seller has not phone numbers. 

I prefer, Text messaging myself.  It is easier to send and receive photo's.  I can read the text at my leisure and don't have to answer the phone immediately, like a phone call.  Additionally, I prefer shielding my home phone and corresponding address from just anyone and everyone.  Texting & the cell phone does that quite nicely.   

Most of us have, or those who have not, likely will in the not to distant future, meet our/your share of the nuts & flakes walking this earth.  But as another has pointed out there are still honest quality people out there.  After 30+ years of dealing with people on a daily basis, I have developed a pretty quick assessment of one's character, and if I don't like what I am hearing (or seeing) in a personal buy or sale situation, I shut the transaction down quickly.   CL sellers & buyers both are n0tourious for being inconsiderate, but one just takes them with a grain of sand.  The majority of the people I have dealt with on CL have been nice, average common everyday people, but there have been a few exceptions.

• Like 1

TravelinJavelin

well thats good i'm glad someone has good luck with the texting thing......for me, only once did a guy do and say what he was going to do and met me at my house and went from there showed the item he liked it and bought it ...no haggling no dickering but to me i'm still old fashioned i guess still like to corrospond with a real voice and tell people now if your serious please call and talk

Spoiler

uess 

• Like 1