dtallon

Requiem for an "Army" Commando 8

R. L. Addison

I hope it was a good buy, I called and talked to him about it and had every intention of buying it, but, alas not in the Lords will for me. I was trying to sell "D" series parts for the money, but they aren't moving, the market seemed to dry up as I was tearing it (the "D" series) down with several others deciding to part theirs out also. Que sera sera and good luck with it.

• Like 1

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Very nice story, thanks for sharing it. 

Glenn

• Like 1

elliot ness

Nice story.:text-goodpost:

953 nut

:text-coolphotos:            Well , now that you know the history of the tractor and have begun to bond with it the only logical thing to do is give it a good home and welcome it to your herd.                                                Let the restoration begin!          :handgestures-thumbupright:               

Perhaps an Army paint scheme would be appropriate.      :twocents-02cents:

Edited by 953 nut
fat finger
  • Like 4
  • Excellent 1

AMC RULES

Image result for army wheel horseImage result for army wheel horseImage result for army wheel horseimage.jpeg.33ab4e3fd81d48fbeb0a84c399cc536e.jpeg

:dunno:  Seems it would make for the perfect candidate to do up a custom ARMY :wh: ...to honor, and then, share with your seller.   :text-bravo:

Edited by AMC RULES
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 3

Retired Wrencher

dtallon  Every thing has a purpose with these. Try putting some Marvel down in the cylinder to try and free up. Be patient with it does work that way you now where you are with this engine.. Other than that it can be saved.Or a great parts tractor. I had a 6 like that took my time with it and it turned out to be a good worker.Enjoy the project.

Edited by Retierd Wrencher
  • Like 1

dclarke

Nice story, Dave! Thanks for sharing it.

• Like 2

EricF

That's some fine and interesting history behind that tractor. You may find it's worth bringing back to life. Given the simplicity of the prior engine repair, it may be simple to get it running again. The spindle can probably be taken apart and cleaned up or replaced. Stuck fasteners happen even on newer Horses (Had my fair share on my 520H...) -- the great thing about Wheel Horse is that they generally are standard SAE fasteners that you can get replacements for at a hardware store that stocks a good selection of nuts, bolts, and other fasteners. Pretty much the same for bearings -- I've learned that either they're standard sizes that are easy enough to obtain, or you can get them from vendors here on Red Square. The biggest cost to restore it to working condition may be time, more so than money.

• Like 3

artfull dodger

I bet some PB blaster or soda pop(cant remember if its coke or pepsi) will help free up a stuck piston.  I bet that old girl can come back to life again.  I have gotten worse running again.  Interesting that some Commando 8's had and some didnt have the Hi/Lo rear ends.  My Autism Horse is a 1968 Commando 8 with the Hi/Lo range.  Good luck on the Horse, the back story would make it special to me.    Mike the Aspie

• Like 1

CasualObserver

Really glad someone here picked that up. I'd been watching that on CL for a couple weeks. It was only about 20 minutes from my parents place and figured I'd follow up on it if it was still there when I get down that way.  Worth the price of admission for the grader blade but the accompanying stories really make that any awesome score. Congrats. 

• Like 2

dtallon
The good/bad thing about this hobby is that eventually you accumulate enough parts to bring most Wheel Horses back to life if you really want to...  I put about a day and a half of the holiday weekend into this one trying to get it running.  I kept expecting to run into a showstopper, and it fought me every inch of the way, but I didn't find anything that couldn't be overcome or overlooked for now.

As it turns out, the tractor was a mix of good and bad.  First, the bad.  The steering system is in really bad shape.  I did free up the spindles, but the front axle pivot is worn quite a bit.  One tie rod is so worn it will randomly fall off.  The worst though is the steering shaft.  It literally looks like somebody tired to tear it out of the tractor.  The dash surround is ripped apart with a crude attempt at a repair.  The casting the steering shaft rests in on the bottom is also cracked all the way through on one side.  Not surprisingly, there is lots of flex when you try to steer.  

IMG_8085.JPG.403b6e64856c665ed5d1482d377e8cd6.JPG

I had already swapped out the rotted front tires, but when I went to swap in some good rears, I found the wheels were rusted to the hubs.  At least the lug bolts came out without breaking off, but it took alot of PB Blast and pounding with a chisel to separate the rims from the hubs. While I was back there, I checked out the hitch.  It's got the slot hitch, but it is rusted solid and wouldn't move.  It budged a little with alot of heat and PB blaster, but I decided to move on and save that project for later.  So far, for the most part, if it needs to come apart or move, it's a safe bet it's locked up.  

Enough of the bad, how about some good news...  Surprisingly, the engine is not locked up.  The seller said it was, so I didn't even bother trying it when I picked up the tractor.  I'm not sure if bouncing around on the trailer on the way home (US 51 between Decatur and Bloomington is terrible!) unstuck it or what, but it turned perfectly fine by hand when I tried it when I got home.  It had hardly any oil in it, so I took care of that.  The key switch was bad, but after swapping in a good one and hooking up power, not only was the engine free, but the S/G turned it over. I had to clean up the points, but sure enough it had spark too.  Do I dare press my luck on fuel?...  The gas tank was remarkably clean inside, but the shut off was rusted solid in the off position.  Hooking it up to a temporary tank and cranking it over, the fuel pump worked fine, but it would only sputter on starting fluid.  After cleaning the carb... it runs!

Reinvigorated with that success, I decided to go the next step and see if I could get the tractor to move under it's own power.  Tapping into my stock of used parts, I came up with a battery, ground cable, throttle cable, a drive belt, and a muffler.  It was looking pretty homely with no hood and a temporary gas tank strapped on, so I thought a chrome stack would help improve things.  I again fired it up and took it for a spin around the yard, which I'm sure was quite amusing for the neighbors.  Surprisingly, there was not a bit of smoke out of the engine at start up or during operation.  It surged pretty bad coasting down hill or on flat ground, but putting it under load going uphill it smoothed out. I tried to clean the carb one more time, and played with the main and idle screws, but still couldn't get it to smooth out.  At that point the loose tie rod popped off again and refused to stay on.  I decided that was a sign to call it quits for now.  

IMG_8059.JPG.92a2a9a6cbad69aa1f9f8d4656d1bb07.JPG

So, I'm not really sure what is in store for the Commando. The history of the tractor tugs on the heartstrings, but I already have an 854 that is mechanically the same tractor, and is already redone.  I also already have two other tractor projects in the pipeline that I want to get to, and some of the parts I used to get this one running are earmarked for those.  One of those projects involves putting a K181 and an 8-speed trans in a Lawn Ranger, so it's tempting to pull the engine for use in that project.  For that matter, the engine currently in my 854 smokes, so I could swap the Commando engine into that tractor as well.  Any decision on the Commando's fate will have to wait.  Over the weekend I also picked up a 312-8 that was headed to the scrap yard.  I want the 8-speed for the previously mentioned Lawn Ranger project, but, like the Commando, plan to try to revive it to see what is good and what is not.  The fun continues...
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 4

953 nut

:text-coolphotos:        That first victory lap on a :wh: that others have given up for dead is soooooo satisfying!          :text-bravo:

• Like 3