mikeeyre74

Spark plug wires for CH22S?

mikeeyre74

I just called the parts store to see if I could get some spark plugs and wires for the CH22S engine in my 522xi.  I figured since it was running a little crappy, and when I went to touch the spark plug boot on the right side bank nearly blasted me across the garage, it might be an issue with the wire… So I gave the parts place a call.   He looked it up and tells me that it looks like the coil and wires in his book show that they are all one piece and you have to replace the entire thing as a unit. To an exorbitant cost. I find this hard to believe? Can anyone confirm?

N3PUY

I guess you could confirm it by removing one of the spark plug wires.  

And if you look up a coil it has the wire attached to it for about $75.

So you just better believe it!  :blink:

shallowwatersailor

Yep, it is an assembly for each pack.

• Like 1

mikeeyre74

Rereading this I sound like an idiot... But pulling the boot off the plug is easy, but the coil pack is hidden up inside the shroud and requires a bunch of disassembly  to get to. I didn't want to do that and disable my whole machine just to satisfy my curiosity before the parts even came in. 

A friend of mine told me that it's probably just a solid core wire with a screw terminal on the coil pack, if so you could probably just screw a new wire onto the screw terminal and sidestep the spark plug wire problem that way. My old ATV had a similar set up. Any ideas about that solution?

WVHillbilly520H

Here's a the exploded view from Partstree.com, and should be one for each cylinder, looks like the single Briggs style coil/wire assembly where the coil picks up directly from the flywheel vs a separate unit like the older opposed twins or points ignitions, (hhhmmm might be another reason to hang on to the Onan powered 520H) ,Jeff.

Screenshot_20170901-095411.png

mikeeyre74

So according to this chart in the engine manual: 

Coils?

There are two different coils in the part numbers listed, a high coil and a low coil.  Apparently, someone was in here before me and has replaced the right side bank coil. 

522 coil investigation

You can see it there in the picture. One is just smaller than the other. 

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like he was one of the kernels in properly, it was jammed between the insulator on the outside and the side of the speed terminal. Not a very good connection. 

Also, the airgap on the replaced coil was totally incorrect, being only .005 of an inch gap when it calls for .011 to .013.  The manual states that this measurement is "critical". 

I checked the values according to this chart to the coils here, and they all seem to fall within the range.  Do you think it could be as simple as the airgap and a bad connection? 

WVHillbilly520H
2 hours ago, mikeeyre74 said:

I checked the values according to this chart to the coils here, and they all seem to fall within the range.  Do you think it could be as simple as the airgap and a bad connection? 

Yep, something as simple the the loose/bad connection was probably the biggie, but not so simple to get to it, and same goes for these new cars mechanically usually good electronically they're really a pain, Jeff.

Molon_Labe

On my CH22 I did away with the 2 wire coils and SAM controller with the Kohler conversion kit part number 25 707 03-s. Comes with 2 new coils and the wiring necessary for the single wire conversion. Those coils are too hard to replace, might as well do them both.

Edited by Molon_Labe

mikeeyre74

Wow.  

$80 on amazon for two coils all in one shot. Sheesh... that's a good deal. 

Molon_Labe
19 hours ago, mikeeyre74 said:

Wow.  

$80 on amazon for two coils all in one shot. Sheesh... that's a good deal. 

You won't regret installing the coil kit. Kohler must have known there was a problem with the original coils so they offered these replacement kits (which they should have provided for free due to the failures of the originals). My CH22 hasn't had a single hiccup since the kit was installed, if anything it runs better than ever. Good luck!

mikeeyre74

After getting my tractor back together, I took it out for a spin and found that the backfiring was still there.. although definitely reduced. It seems to run smoother now. While cruising around the yard warning things up, I figured I'd put the choke on slow to see what that'd to the backfiring issue and after putting it on a little bit, the backfiring goes away. So with the choke on, it smiths out andirons like a top. Definitely a carburetor issue. I'll have to get a kit and replace all those o-rings before I try and get much further into this thing. he coil pack cleanup and rewire definitely make my spark testers quit stuttering tho.. they're rock solid now as far as the spark goes. Got be a weird fuel issue at this point.