SCAVENGERGIRL

Is my Voltometer working?

SCAVENGERGIRL

I'm new to small engine repair so please don't roll your eyes too hard at my question :)

I have a Toro Wheel Horse 212-5. The voltometer hasn't moved at all, battery connected or not, running or not. I assume that's not normal? Does it need to be replaced to function normally? 

The tractor is blowing a fuse and I'm trying to determine if this could be a contributing factor at all. So far the assumption is the fuse is protecting the PTO wiring, based off the wiring diagram & the fact that the mower deck doesn't engage.

voltometer.JPG.1ed0dfc1c4e1dddfc4513f750124130a.JPG

• Like 1

squonk

I'm pretty sure the fuse blowing is causing the meter not to work. You have a short circuit somewhere. 15Amp fuse powers the voltmeter. Download this manual :

Edited by squonk
  • Like 1

953 nut

There is a 15 amp fuse that feeds the PTO and the headlights and Volt/Hour meters. There should be a Pink wire from the fuse that goes to the headlight switch and then to the meters; and another that goes to the clutch. After giving every inch of both pink wires a careful examination if you haven't found the problem I would remove the pink wire from the clutch and see if the short clears. If it has not cleared then remove the pink wire to the light switch.

hope this helps.

• Like 3

SCAVENGERGIRL
1 hour ago, 953 nut said:

There is a 15 amp fuse that feeds the PTO and the headlights and Volt/Hour meters. There should be a Pink wire from the fuse that goes to the headlight switch and then to the meters; and another that goes to the clutch. After giving every inch of both pink wires a careful examination if you haven't found the problem I would remove the pink wire from the clutch and see if the short clears. If it has not cleared then remove the pink wire to the light switch.

hope this helps.

This makes sense, the 15 amp fuse is what's blowing, my headlights don't turn on & the mower deck doesn't engage. I didn't see any obvious problems, but I haven't taken the time to really check it over & test it out yet.

Sometimes the tractor won't even try to start, other times it fires right up (sometimes after I've tried to bypass the fuse with a wire.) Do you think this has to do with the same short or is it likely a separate problem?

953 nut
13 minutes ago, SCAVENGERGIRL said:

I've tried to bypass the fuse with a wire.

That can lead to bigger problems if the overload or short causes an electrical fire.

16 minutes ago, SCAVENGERGIRL said:

Sometimes the tractor won't even try to start, other times it fires right up

By wont even try to start do you mean it cranks over but will not fire, or won't even crank over?  The 15 amp fuse has no direct affect on running or cranking, but there is a component that should be looked at. The PTO switch can stop the engine from starting or running under cretin circumstances and is after the PTO but if it is shorting out could blow the 15  amp fuse.