jsPond

Another tiller question

I bought this tiller earlier this year and it works great.  I don't think it's actually made for my 315-8 but with a little modification, it really seems to work well.  Now I find myself looking for another horse that will primarily be used to run the tiller.  Reason being, my 315-8 is my mowing tractor and, aside from the tiller being somewhat of a pain to hook up, my Cyclone Rake is coming into the picture around the same time I need to do some late summer/early fall tilling.  Then it becomes a real pain.  The way I am set up now, I know I could go with another 300 series, a 400 or even a 500 series I believe.  My question is, what else would work?  What models would this tiller actually be made for?  Could I go with a C series?  I would love that as those are some of my favorites.  You can see my modification in the second pic.  Ugly but it works.

IMG_1322.JPG

IMG_1323.JPG

Your tiller is a 1975 and will work on B-series through 1977, all C-series as well as 3/4/500 series. It will also work on the older Raiders, Chargers, etc. :)

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

A tiller will push a hydro tractor, so a geared one would be best.

1 hour ago, Racinbob said:

Your tiller is a 1975 and will work on B-series through 1977, all C-series as well as 3/4/500 series. It will also work on the older Raiders, Chargers, etc. :)

Thanks!  That leaves it fairly open.

13 minutes ago, lynnmor said:

A tiller will push a hydro tractor, so a geared one would be best.

I don't really want a hydro anyway and I do remember the guy who I bought it from telling me the very same thing.  Thanks for the reminder!

I had a brother who preferred a short wheel base because they could turn in less space.  I have been seriously thinking about a "utility" tractor and if I ever get one, I' m thinking about a short wheel base for tiller, generator, air compressor, and any other gadgets I think may be handy. As an added plus, it would take up less room as my space is very limited.

I used my tiller on my 520 this spring and it did well. Yes it did it push it a little but nothing crazy. I just adjusted the speed of the tractor to yield a good pace. 

Iw ill note that right after plowing, the tiller pushed the tractor a lot more than after a pass or two of the tiller. There was less for the tiller to grab onto and push off of once the soil was more of a fine texture.