shunter

Stalling engine

shunter

The engine on my 68 Charger 12 all of a sudden started stalling.  Was dragging the ring with the york rake and it was running fine for about a half hour-45 minutes and then out of the blue it just started stalling (yes, it had gas :)  ) . The only way i could get it back to the barn was to start it fully choked with throttle all the way open and it would start and then stall again. Was a LONG ride back to the barn!  Where would you start looking first? Thanks in advance!

ericj

check the gas cap to see if it is venting, if it stalls out loosen the gas cap. I would start by taking the bolt out of the bowl on the carb and draining it. Most of the time you have to remove the air cleaner to do this and sometimes it is easier to remove the carb if the bowl comes off. it would not hurt to remove the bowl and see how much junk is in the bowl. if the fuel line and fuel filter hasn't been changed for awhile you may want to prevent future problems and replace  while your at it. if it runs runs with the choke on it should be a fuel problem so you have narrowed part of the problem down already. good luck

eric j 

• Like 4

953 nut

Sounds like the fuel cap vent may be clogged. Without a good vent the fuel leaving the tank will create a vacuum that the pump can't overcome.

Eric types faster than me!

• Like 4

shunter

i will check these things and hope it's that easy, i really don't have that kind of luck. 

Just wondering if you can still buy crab rebuild kits for these old boys ?

953 nut
10 minutes ago, shunter said:

wondering if you can still buy crab rebuild kits

NAPA will have then and Ebay has lots to offer. Kohler carburetor kits.

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

Definitely sounds like a fuel delivery problem.    Check the cap vent like Eric and Richard state.  Needing full choke to run also may be an indication that excess air is leaking in.  Check the two carb mounting bolts and gasket.

• Like 3

shunter

looking around on eBay for a rebuild kit i'm seeing carbs for 30 bucks, safe to assume these are junk?

i know the carb has two needles a short and a long one, do you have to buy these separate from the rebuild kits?

i'm not buying anything yet, just window shopping 

953 nut
9 hours ago, shunter said:

looking around on eBay for a rebuild kit i'm seeing carbs for 30 bucks, safe to assume these are junk?

Amazingly good quality on the $ 30.00 carbs. Lots of folks on here have used them and are pleased with them. When you order be sure the choke hook up is the same, that is different depending on your model.

i know the carb has two needles a short and a long one, do you have to buy these separate from the rebuild kits?

The present needles should be fine (as long as they haven't been beaten up), just soak them along with the rest of the carb. in some carburetor cleaner.

i'm not buying anything yet, just window shopping 

Considering the fact that it was running fine before I doubt that you need a new carb.

• Like 2

shunter

Cleaned the gas cap, it was a little dirty. Dropped the float bowl and it was pretty funky in there. Cleaned that good, pulled the needles and cleaned them and blasted the carb with cleaner. put it all back together, started right up, i let it run for a while, no stalling.  Fingers crossed that was it. 

Thanks for the help gents!

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

953 nut

:woohoo:

shunter

UPDATE: used it tonight for over an hour, ran like a top.  

thanks again

• Thanks 1