Sign in to follow this  
"Manic-Mechanic"

18 Auto (model 1-0601) Ignition 101917/92-6785

"Manic-Mechanic"

Hello,

I picked up the superseded ignition to replace 101917. However, on 101917 we have A-I-B-R-S, then 92-6785 we have G-M-B-A-S. While S & B remain the same the rest is moved around? Does M become I and G become A?Then A become R? Or does this ignition plug right into my harness? Harness 102812. I definitely "do not" want another fried harness! Ha ha ha!

gwest_ca

That is the wrong switch. 

"M" grounds the self-powered magneto type ignition to shut it off.

• "I" supplies battery power to the battery type ignition coil.

Click on the photos

Garry

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

"Manic-Mechanic"

Ok, according to the guide it functions? Puzzled.......Now I get it and it functions as depicted in the guide. I did the 4 position test and it passes. Cool.

Switch Ignition 92-6785 B.jpg

Switch Ignition 92-6785 A.jpg

Thank you very kindly, this guide is great! I also could have sacrificed the A position and went with the 103990, joining lights or A to the "run" position. 103990 is $10.00. Also, the terminals would need to be moved in the plug housing......

103990s.jpg

Edited by Oldman

gwest_ca

Thought you stated the switch you have has an M terminal. My thought was it was previously returned to the supplier in the wrong package and sent to you.

Garry

"Manic-Mechanic"

No, the guide states this switch has the physical capacity for the four needed positions and use your meter to trouble-shoot it accordingly. This physical make up is functioning as stated and not functioning or (having continuity) where it should not, depending on the four positions selected. The stamped terminals that are different symbols are moot at this juncture. I too was concerned whenever I seen the M. I used one not too dissimilar on a 1045 (temporary) until I could locate the Cole Hersey used for that application. (I bought two)! I will be installing that switch & harness on another day......;)

Edited by Oldman

"Manic-Mechanic"

Say Gary,

just an update on the ignition/harness. I salvaged the wires that I could and replaced the really baked one's! Ha ha ha! I then used the oil resistant 12 awg red wire for the battery positive to the solenoid, B/G By-passed the ammeter altogether.(nasty ammeter) I created an additional lead off the 12v to the oil temp gauge going back to I/M on the ignition. The I/M already had a double wire out to land on the coil so that was a good location at the 12v oil temp gauge. Then when the volt meter arrives I'll land the 12v and the ground to the ground on the oil temp gauge. I guess the ignition can be used for both applications even though exact opposites, reverse the ground over to 12+ and the magneto to 12+ as well. Same physically. Technically it is wrong per-say by the symbols on the terminals.Done. I ran the tractor and viola' no fire! Ha ha ha! Now the hydro motor exam......and a miracle. Amen.

Edited by Oldman

gwest_ca

You have totally lost me. Sounds like a recipe for failure when you reverse polarity of some of the electrical components.

Garry

"Manic-Mechanic"

No the ignition itself, is exactly the same "physically" on the inside. The two different electrical systems are making use of the same component, different labeling on the terminals is all.