Mill Rat

Kohler 181S: o-rings for hard fuel line from fuel pmp to carb

Does anyone know what the standard o-ring designation is for the o-rings that Kohler used on a hard pipe fuel line between the fuel pump and the carb on the small displacement (mine's a 1966 vintage 181S), or who might sell them?

I cut off a piece of three sixteenths windshield washer hose for the ones i need, in a pinch as they are square cross section. As far as using an O-ring, the main requirement to my way of thinking would be the largest cross section, that would fit the tube and go inside the nut.

I have never found three sixteenths fuel line, and the windshield washer hose has not failed me yet.

• Like 1

It pretty easy to make new lines using tubing and59a5406daec39_FuelLines.JPG.a9221406ce888b81e931aac784e6b1a1.JPG std. compression fittings. :)

• Like 5

The copper lines are a good idea, though I've always used flare fittings for any fuel connections which don't have elastomeric seals.

Here is a link to the fittings you want.

https://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-single-sleeve-compression-tube-fittings/=195ooft

• For Use With: Diesel Fuel, Cutting Oil, Petroleum
  • Temperature Range: -30° to 250° F
  • Tubing: Use with Seamless Steel
  • Specifications Met: DIN 3861

The sleeve (ferrule) is made of Buna-N rubber instead of metal, so it cushions the tubing and absorbs vibration. In addition to the sleeve, the fittings include a nut with a gripping ring that bites into the tubing for a secure hold. They are also known as flareless fittings. They provide good strength and durability in noncorrosive environments. Fittings with male threads have an O-ring to protect against leaks. Fittings with male BSPP threads also include a washer.

• Like 3

Missed these posts, but finally just put in brass 1/8" NPT to 1/4" barb fittings and a chunk of 1/4" fuel line. Not as pretty, but it works. Thanks for the research, it may still come in handy later.

2 hours ago, Shynon said:

@wheelhorseman in the vendor section sells the rubber inserts for the fuel line

That is good to know. I guess he hasn't listed them in his on-line inventory yet, just went through his entire 15 page product list and didn't find them. If Lowell has them I hope he will chime in and let us know, I would buy a few sets to have on hand.

I do have them - I will try to have them listed by morning.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1