Skipper

Need help on transporting horses to Chicago

Skipper    61

So, as some of you know, I'm working on an expansion of my stable, and also some items for my friends here in Denmark.

So far I have the container shipping from Chicago to home in place. But there still remains two obstacles, and I'm hoping some of you might have a solution.

I need tractors and parts transported to Chicago, from a +100 mile radius. Further more I need a storage place where I can crate and pack the lot for shipping.

I have a warehouse in Chicago on hand, but it is ridiculous with the storage price untill loading the container. 1 tractor is over 10$ a day, now they might bee there for weeks, and quite a few of them, so it runs up fast.

Also I got the idea of renting a truck, like a moving truck size, and drive around picking up. Turns out that without being an american, and having a US issued credit card, I can't rent anything like that. Same goes for a pick up and trailer combo.

So, now this project hinges on that 10+ sellers all want to freight things to Chicago, (which they won't), or another solution is found.

Do any of you have a truck or a pickup with flatbed trailer or similar, that I could rent for a few days to run pickup trips around Chicago? 

Do any of you have a storage space close to Chicago, where things could be gradually gathered and crated?

I will pay a fee of cause.

Any and all ideas are really appreciated

Thanks

Skipper    61

Update on situation

Warehouse is no longer an option. Because of TSA regulations, I can not pack it there. 

Status of what I need help on is:

A place close to Chicago where a container can sit for a few days while I load it.

A privat rental of a vehicle to run pickup trips around Chicago.

I will be happy to pay for it of cause.

Thanks

Thomas

stevasaurus    10,196

Holy Cow!!  I am not sure that you know what you are asking.  Not even talking about me, but I do not have a place to just drop a 40' container for who knows how long.  Although, I am giving it some thought.

!st...would the shipping company drop the box empty...and pick if\t up full.???  This means that no one has to drive into Chicago.

2nd...I have a truck, but I do not have the trailer.  I would drive my truck, but I doubt I could rent it to you insurance wise...and my wife would totally be against that.  You could rent the size trailer from a place near me.

3rd...I do not have a place to drop off a container of that size for a couple of days...much less more time then that.

4th...I would like to know where in this 100 mile radius, how many, and if it can only be weekends and who they are for pick up..  Not enough information to commit to just running around Chicago.  You have no idea what that statement entails.

5ht...If I did find a place to drop this container...would we need power to there to run saws, nail guns, etc.??

6th...where would you stay...rent a car...etc.??

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Confused 1

Sparky-(Admin)    3,362

I think the insurance issue would be a huge risk for any of us here. Insurance companies have teams who only job is to find loopholes/excuses/reasons to not pay out on a claim. Having a driver without a valid drivers license here in the states would be exactly what they need to deny a claim.

Mike....

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

953 nut    15,105

Have you considered contacting uShip http://www.uship.com/LandingPages/custom/us-sc-tsp-home.html?-_uship_-_exact-_tm&gclid=Cj0KCQjwoZTNBRCWARIsAOMZHmEJfTQqtUJjHb_eBDtyoc5yxbbSbbfiX2EtyJuSQfKNddhUvni4v7gaAk , Freightquote  https://www.freightquote.com/freight-shipping/ltl-less-than-truckload or other LTL (less than truckload) shippers to see if the container could be stored at their facility while loading and have some of their sub-contractor haulers do some the pick ups for you.   :twocents-02cents:

• Like 1

Skipper    61
15 hours ago, 953 nut said:

Have you considered contacting uShip http://www.uship.com/LandingPages/custom/us-sc-tsp-home.html?-_uship_-_exact-_tm&gclid=Cj0KCQjwoZTNBRCWARIsAOMZHmEJfTQqtUJjHb_eBDtyoc5yxbbSbbfiX2EtyJuSQfKNddhUvni4v7gaAk , Freightquote  https://www.freightquote.com/freight-shipping/ltl-less-than-truckload or other LTL (less than truckload) shippers to see if the container could be stored at their facility while loading and have some of their sub-contractor haulers do some the pick ups for you.   :twocents-02cents:

Yes, I have looked into it. No transport facility will let a non US citizen in due to TSA regulations, so loading will have to take place on another location. The freight and loading crews do not want a bunch of tractors delivered a little by little, so thats why I do not really see any alternative to picking up and loading myself

Yes, it might be possible to have uship do a part of it, but far from it all. Many of the tractors and parts are with private sellers, and they need be checked out and negotiated, that's why I would prefer to do it myself. Do not think anyone would take that job either :-)

17 hours ago, Sparky said:

I think the insurance issue would be a huge risk for any of us here. Insurance companies have teams who only job is to find loopholes/excuses/reasons to not pay out on a claim. Having a driver without a valid drivers license here in the states would be exactly what they need to deny a claim.

Mike....

Thanks Mike, I get your concern, but I have a fully valid license to drive most anything on wheels, from cars to big rigs and anything in between. I am also aware of how insurance works in the US. I have had 3 cars registered and insured there. I even have my own insurance, that covers any deductibles on any rental vehicle too. Besides that I have not had an accident for the last 25 years and way past a half million miles so I'm not worried, but I do get the concerns.

It is vital to me to express again, that I do have a fully valid license, also in the US.

• Like 2

Skipper    61
17 hours ago, stevasaurus said:

Holy Cow!!  I am not sure that you know what you are asking.  Not even talking about me, but I do not have a place to just drop a 40' container for who knows how long.  Although, I am giving it some thought.

!st...would the shipping company drop the box empty...and pick if\t up full.???  This means that no one has to drive into Chicago.

2nd...I have a truck, but I do not have the trailer.  I would drive my truck, but I doubt I could rent it to you insurance wise...and my wife would totally be against that.  You could rent the size trailer from a place near me.

3rd...I do not have a place to drop off a container of that size for a couple of days...much less more time then that.

4th...I would like to know where in this 100 mile radius, how many, and if it can only be weekends and who they are for pick up..  Not enough information to commit to just running around Chicago.  You have no idea what that statement entails.

5ht...If I did find a place to drop this container...would we need power to there to run saws, nail guns, etc.??

6th...where would you stay...rent a car...etc.??

Hi Stevasaurus

I'm am so sorry. I was not trying to offend you or others.

I know fully what I am asking, and I am not asking for a free pass. I'm asking to rent, and pay the appropriate amount of money for it. I am aware there is rental in private regi in the US. Like AirBnB for cars. Take a look at TURO.COM. Problem here is that I can not get in contact with the owners, to check if the trucks have a hitch, and if it's OK to use it.

I do know It is a big ask, to find someone with the space for a 40 footer for a few days. And to be clear, in my terms, a few days is between 3 and 5. Perhaps it can be done in 2, then good, it might also be harder to gather enough tractors, and take 4-5 days. I estimate 3 days.

1. The shipping company will drop off an empty container, and come pick it up when loaded. So, yes there is nothing to go into the heart of Chicago for. All the pickups are from the outskirts outwards, and into the smaller towns and country side.

2. Insurance wise it is the same as lending it to your neighbor. I have the same driving credentials etc as he would probably have, and equally valid licenses. but you must not do anything that you are not comfortable with. I would like info on that trailer place :-). I need to check if they will rent it to me, or if it the same story as the truck rental.

3. That is completely understandable. I was hoping that someone might have a farm or large property, where it could sit for a few days, for a price naturally.

4. Some of the places I can give you, but some pickups will be according to what is available for sale when I'm there. I can not make done deals with everybody, maybe a month in advance or more. Neither would I like to transfer to much money without getting the tractors in hand at the same time. It would be open season for scammers. Locations are from chicago and up to the madison area, with a few stops underway. Same goes for a trip to holland via south bend. etc. Most is from collectors and so on, much is several tractors at same location. Names of these people and businesses who sell it, I do not think I should post here. I get your concern though. I am fully aware that there are areas that is best to stay clear off. I once had to go to the DMW in Hileah, Miami. Newer gonna do that again........... Still alive........Enough said.  Also once had to stay in Inglewood, LA. Not exactly a place to recommend either, so yeah, I get it :-)

5. Not necessarily. but a place to put parts in crates with a nail gun would be luxury, otherwise I'm sure homedepo has a box of nails and a hammer. Tractors are driven / rolled in and tied down, so that's an easy process. Crating boxes is also something I am in process of having sorted out. So it would be a matter of nailing a lid on a hand full of crates.

6. I would rent a room at a motel, and I could easily rent a normal car if need be. Was actually thinking of bringing the wife and kids, so they could get a little vacation at the same time. (they would not be in the way, should they come along)

Please accept my apology, if I have stepped on toes or broken protocol on this. I still have a lot to learn on the american etiquette.

I will gladly answer any questions that might hold anyone back from this endeavor.

Regards

Thomas

C-101plowerpower    1,342
Posted (edited)

wow, didn't know it was so much of a hassle, anyway when i have heavy/big stuff from the states i usually have it shipped to somewhere in indiana.

there a guy loads it in a 40ft container and when its full it comes this way. the guy that loads does haul stuff in a 50? mile radius after that its a buck or two per mile.

im in no way the leader on that operation but i can give you the head of operations contact details if you need them

here's his facebook page https://www.facebook.com/groups/887297647988224/

Edited by C-101plowerpower
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

stevasaurus    10,196

I was looking for you to hop in here Koen...thanks

• Like 3

ohiofarmer    879

Here are some possible ideas.

U-haul should have the truck that you need to do your pick-up duty. All the truck bodies have low load height for their size and you can check if the ramp is wide enough for a tractor. The thing that you might not know about U-haul is that they do not have a single business model as to how they set up their locations and this is where my idea comes from. There are also stor-and lock businesses that may have u-haul trucks as well. My guess is that there is a U-haul location within 25 miles of your search area anyplace around the area you are interested in

The u-haul facilities that only rent a few trucks are often located in a business such as a yard that rents construction equipment up to the size of backhoes and portable lifts, and these yards often have plenty of space that should accommodate a container. Insurance should not be a concern to them, because heavy trucks come to their yards quite often. If you could locate the container in a gravel area, then no problems with a roll-off container damaging the asphalt.

Also, these types of businesses may very well have lockable outside storage units that rent for 75-100 dollars a month. You might be able to work a deal with them so you can deliver tractors to the outside units and then load them all at once on your container.

You could always look for locations under u-Haul and then use Google Earth to view a facility that had a big enough loading area for your needs. If this facility were closer to you, it would be perfect  

https://www.uhaul.com/Storage/Brookville-OH-45309/Results/

If you want to gather your herd from a location farther from chicago, i have a farm in Greenville ohio, and Greenville is within 100 miles of Ft wayne and Indanapolis Indiana--- Cincinnati, Dayton, and Columbus Ohio  https://www.google.com/search?q=distance+from+greenville+ohio+to+chicago+il&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Edited by ohiofarmer
  • Excellent 1