Big_Red_Fred

1054 Time

Big_Red_Fred

Its such a Beautiful day, i went to my Son's Stable and Rustled the 1054 out to wash at Local car wash, Getting ready to rebuild carb, Get New tires, search for new wheels, just make it look good enuf, its going to be another worker, i'm debating on Oil Bath filter, i know that its a OEM part & its important, BUT its gonna be a working Tractor, so i'll make my mind up on that ? Finding Wheels may be hard i'm thinking, the right rear is rusted bad, i'm afraid when i sand blast it , it will blo right thru ?, i will rebuild the Hyd pump, well heck you guys want sum pics ? 953 probably shaking & waiting on sum LOL, Give me sum idea's, FredIMG_03491.jpg.b5d41f4919b124dfa5a3a6cce3233bd8.jpgIMG_03511.jpg.a0c9c4d3b95c49070affd91ec961efd7.jpgIMG_03531.jpg.a3bb638b98aa4e015cf01ef70c19fae5.jpgIMG_03541.jpg.7f8f32bc089f5cc2ad2a694a76a82f4c.jpgIMG_03551.jpg.3064853e09836ff5cc1703374f9a4846.jpg

I'm thinking it may be a good candidate for electric fuel pump 953 suggested ? What do you think

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

953 nut
17 minutes ago, Big_Red_Fred said:

Finding Wheels may be hard i'm thinking, the right rear is rusted bad, i'm afraid when i sand blast it , it will blo right thru ?

:text-coolphotos:                                                         :thanks:

Give A-Z tractor a call, he probably has a couple pairs on hand that I bought the tires off from this summer. From the pictures the rear tires look good, are they torn or just dry cracked? The fronts are easy to come by, @dells68 picked up a pair for next to nothing that look good, think they came from Miller Tire as a clearance item.

I have a paper element air filter on one of mine, (PITA to change) and probably less effective than the oil bath when it comes to keeping dust out of the engine. I see that the elbow for the air filter had a hole in it, but a little JB Weld will fix that. If you decide to go paper be sure to squirrel it away for the future if you later decide to sell it or bring it back to original. 

For a worker I would go electric with the fuel pump, grab power from the ignition coil "+" terminal and put a 10 Amp fuse in line to power it. The present fuel pump has a primer lever on it and is correct for the 1054; save it along with the air filter.

Have fun and keep us posted.

• Like 5

Big_Red_Fred

The Front tires are gone, at least 1 of them, im thinking the ones you see on a regular tractor mite be fine, the 3 grooved ones ? Back tires dry rotted, but i forget what you told me to rub on them ? They may be filled the way the 1 wheel looks, a large area where the metal is lifting in layers, i'm worried, i wanna steam it, tried 5 bucks wasted at car wash today, it did ok, but hot water would have been better, the past owner really put the Lube to it, geeze its caked all over, the engine needs degreased bad too under carb, If i do remove oil bath, i will box it up & give all OEM parts to Alex my son, i will for sure be at Next Big Show & bring him along with me, I have all the parts for it, its like building the 6 million dollar man, We Have the Technology LOL ! But i have a Edge, I have Richard & all of Red Square to help me :wh:

• Like 3

Big_Red_Fred

I went to ericj home today, he said your the Man to talk to Richard, a gave him 2 Carb's & a old school fuel pump, he's getting me a pair of steering spindles & front wheels for Alex's 310-8 upgrade, Upgrade to 8 inch tires, a couple of spindles off a parts tractor & wheels too, Man he has the :wh: rides there, had my brain ticking , took a pic of a loader he is selling, or sold, i'll never catch him in Numbers hahaha, if i call you too much on my 1054 adventure, dont get mad, i only call so i dont mess up, i like it right way, Fred

• Like 1

953 nut
14 minutes ago, Big_Red_Fred said:

Back tires dry rotted, but i forget what you told me to rub on them

This is the product, it isn't a miracle drug for weather checked old tires, but it is good.

image.png.8d919f326012940e3d59a971a940cc68.png

• Like 3

Big_Red_Fred

I wrote it down, thanks Richard, is that Grill assy Cast Aluminum or steel ?

In case i have to put tape below it before mounting to frame

Will it hurt the Fins on engine if i sand blast the crap off them ?

How much oil do i add since theres no fill tube or Dipstick other then the Dipstick doing the work ?

• Haha 1

Big_Red_Fred

Whats the button 4 on points, check out all 5 adjustment screws on carb, look at that fuel pump, Talked 953 ear off under a willow tree a few min ago, i probably sounded like a 1st grader figuring out IMG_03591.jpg.4a54477132865fa9b95ed88065a47840.jpgIMG_03611.jpg.dfea88f3d6d922b92436f7af40e29ea8.jpgIMG_03621.jpg.b4e509ae40e7d6b1d915f9d33a8698d5.jpg

Big_Red_Fred

The Engine runs smooth now, i pulled the Bird Bath and found it full of water & crappy exxon valdeeze oil, 953 said take it to work and wash out in parts washer, i sprayed sum carb cleaner thru choke and after sum adjusting engine ran smooth, no smoke at all, geeze i'm happy, need to make a battery hold down, throttle backs off as engine runs, maybe it needs a new cable, that will be fun finding if needed i bet

953 nut
1 hour ago, Big_Red_Fred said:

Will it hurt the Fins on engine if i sand blast the crap off them ?

I wouldn't bring a sand blaster anyplace close to an engine! One grain of sand will find a way of costing you a small fortune, the rough casting actually is an advantage as it provides more surface area for heat exchange than a smooth surface would.

Your engine will take two quarts to fill it to the proper level.

The grill shell is cast iron and very heavy, with my back i use a cherry picker to aid in installing it.

The button on the points cover is to kill the engine if you are working on it and can't get to the switch. On the industrial engines that had a magneto ignition this was the only kill button in most cases.

Take a look at pages 29 & 30 of this manual for Carb. adjustment. Save the manual to your computer, comes in handy.

Kohler K-Series SM TP-2379 LR.pdf

6 minutes ago, Big_Red_Fred said:

throttle backs off as engine runs,

You can probably tweek the throttle lever down under the dash plate ( remove the plate to get at it) just a bit with pliers.

• Like 1

Big_Red_Fred

Thanks for info Richard

• Like 1

Big_Red_Fred

How much oil in oil bath ? Bed time, Thanks

953 nut

x

59a3fe57aa93e_953aircleaner001.JPG.190c8f1bf5b2291cd19958fca5ddb813.JPG

• Like 2

Big_Red_Fred

10W30 ok ? or 30 w

953 nut

I always use 30 W, but others are using 10 W 30, Kohler manual calls for 30 W  and that is good enough for me.

• Like 3

Big_Red_Fred

Then thats what i'll run, i pulled the steer tires, right front was stuck, that was the blown out tire, hammered off wheel, spindle bent front, bearings dirty, take to work, remove tires, clean up bearings & races, if i have to theres a Timkin bearing shop close to my home, now the rear seals may be difficult ? but ill manage, bent spindle, i will try no heat first with 1 inch angle & a few wilton C-clamps, if no luck, then heat and a pipe that fits over spindle, they do have a down ward look, factory i guess

• Like 1

Big_Red_Fred

Do they make the front wheels yet ? at lunch i removed tires on steer wheels, 1 was great, other has a 1/2 inch hole in it, gonna try to mig it shut ? Metal very thin & rusty, i will call A to Z to

• Like 1

dells68

On your throttle cable.  It is a two piece design - the lever and the bracket that bolts to the dash.  A bolt with a lock but holds them together.  Loosen the nut, tighten the bolt, re tighten the nut and you're good to go!

• Like 1

Big_Red_Fred

Thanks @dells68 i will do it now so i dont forget, LOL, them dang wheels have me worked up, heck, when i pulled the tire off on the 1 the previous owner was riding around on a flat, it was tubed and had a rust hole a 1/2 inch thru it, i will get fixed some how or do a search, i may fab a plow for it, let my son try to plow the white stuff it we get any

dells68

Check out Miller tire.  I looked at their site and it looks like they have some 15x4.5" rims that look like they would work.  They look like the originals and are $50 each.  You could also use GT14 rims with wider R4 style tires.  I could only afford a set of 5.00-15 tires for mine when I ordered.  They look ok, but are a little skinny.  I'm toying with the idea of putting another set on it to have dual tires.  Haven't seen any like that and I like to be different!

• Like 1

Big_Red_Fred

My son suggested same about dual's, i will check miller tire to, i did what you said on throttle, worked fine, thanks, son wants a loader on it LOL, that would be different, the frame looks sturdy if not more then a 520, do sum research, Off to turn wrenches, Thanks again, Fred @dells68

• Like 1

Big_Red_Fred

@953 nut check out ebay, theres a Oil bath air cleaner better then mine for 40 bucks free ship

953/1054 parts

• Thanks 1

953 nut
1 hour ago, Big_Red_Fred said:

@953 nut check out ebay, theres a Oil bath air cleaner better then mine for 40 bucks free ship

953/1054 parts

:thanks:         Saw it, not a bad price but I have a couple extras on the shelf for future projects.

Big_Red_Fred

I should of snagged it, its gone LOL, but i was thinking about ya LOL ole buddy

Have 1 rim painted, the other may be shot ? on 1054 that is, ordered 2 new fronts, post the pic when they arrive & install, Alex wants it back hahaha, boys & their Big Red Toys

• Like 1