Kathy S Franklin

Tractor dies when it gets warm

Kathy S Franklin

I have a Toro Jones Wheelhorse 1990 520H, it keeps losing its charge and I have to jump each time. Then when it gets hot it completely cuts off. Then you have to jump again and it runs maybe 10 minutes and cuts off again.  Any ideas please. I appreciate anyone's expertise

gwest_ca

Welcome to the forum.

When disconnecting a battery remove the negative (-) battery cable first.

When connecting a battery install the negative (-) battery cable last.

If the top of the battery is not clean and dry remove it from the tractor. If it is wet it has battery acid on it that will eat clothing and metal so be careful. Spray down with a cleaner and flush with water. A mixture of baking soda and water will neutralize the acid. (Dampness on the top of the battery will cause it to discharge. It is a short between the battery posts)

First off you need to determine if it will not hold a charge or if it is being charged at all.

Charge the battery up if you can. It is impossible to diagnose an electrical system with a bad battery or one that is undercharged. Has to be a known good battery that is charged. If it is 5-7 years old just replace it because it has come to the end of it's life. That happens even sooner with many of today's batteries.

Check the voltage across the battery posts. Should be slightly above 12 volts.

Now start the engine and let it run. The voltage should slowly increase to about 14.4 volts as the charging system replaces the charge you just used to start the engine.

Let us know what you find.

Garry

• Like 5

953 nut

:WRS:      If you don't have a battery charge and volt meter any good auto parts store will charge and load test the battery. The best thing to do with any electrical problem is to clean and tighten all electrical connections including grounds.

• Like 5

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti: and :text-yeahthat:

Ed Kennell

The regulator/rectifiers on these Onans have a history of failing and they can be purchased on line for about $20. 

Not saying the R/R is the problem, but with their history of failure, I keep a new one on hand for insurance.

There are many posts on here with information on the proper way to check the charging system .

If you have a volt/ohm meter and a wiring diagram of your engine, we can lead you thru the process.

There are many wiring connections that could cause a charging problem on these machines. 

Like stated above, first step is to ensure the battery is good and at full charge.

Secondly, unplug and reconnect all electrical connectors,   switches, R/R, and fuses .  Many times these connections become corroded and don't make contact.

The simple act of  reconnecting cleans them enough to solve the problem.

:text-welcomeconfetti: to the :rs:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

JC 1965

:WRS:

KC9KAS

@Kathy S Franklin :WRS:

I am from HOLLAND also!....Holland Indiana!