Bahmi

Battery light on after starting

Bahmi

My 520xi starts well but the battery light stays on for around 2 minutes or so.      Battery tests good at 12.9 volts.  After the 2 minutes is up, the light gradually goes out.

Fuses look OK. No damage noted on wires.

What is happening?

gwest_ca

Do you have this module? Click on the pictures.

Have been many reports of this unit failing resulting in a constant on light. Yours is different. Maybe the wiring connects could use a cleanup and a coating of dielectric silicone grease to preserve them.

Garry

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Bahmi
On 8/26/2017 at 6:53 PM, gwest_ca said:

Have been many reports of this unit failing resulting in a constant on light. Yours is different. Maybe the wiring connects could use a cleanup and a coating of dielectric silicone grease to preserve them.

Garry

On 8/26/2017 at 6:53 PM, gwest_ca said:

Garry

When you have a problem that you can't solve, it's kinda nice to do something you failed to fully understand.

I took the air hose and nozzle gun and blew all the dirt, dust, oil soaked dirt, etc off the machine and engine, specifically. I changed the filter and the oil.   I then started up the engine and there was NO battery light on.   Why is this so?  What did I do to remove this problem from my tractor?

Well, best answer is "I don't know". We can surmise that cleaning up the engine allowed for better electrical contacts, maybe. New oil? Can't see how that would  turn the battery light off.

Any suggestions as to what I actually did to fix this battery light situation?

Mikey the Monkey

:greetings-clappingyellow:

rmaynard

I would wait a couple of days and see if the problem returns. If not, then assume you chased a gremlin out of the electrical system.

shallowwatersailor

What year is your 520xi? When you turned the key - before starting the engine was the light illuminated? If not, then the bulb went bad. If it was on and now off with the engine running, you had bad connections. But you should have a voltage of around 13.4-13.6 when running.

Is the module 3-prong or 5-prong? The 3-prong does have a higher failure rate. But all it does is tell you that there is low voltage. Until the 5xi series, Toro Wheel Horse did not have an indicator. Those tractors depended on the battery being good. If it went bad, then the tractor didn't run.

Bahmi
13 minutes ago, shallowwatersailor said:

What year is your 520xi? When you turned the key - before starting the engine was the light illuminated? If not, then the bulb went bad. If it was on and now off with the engine running, you had bad connections. But you should have a voltage of around 13.4-13.6 when running.

Is the module 3-prong or 5-prong? The 3-prong does have a higher failure rate. But all it does is tell you that there is low voltage. Until the 5xi series, Toro Wheel Horse did not have an indicator. Those tractors depended on the battery being good. If it went bad, then the tractor didn't run.

My tractor is a '99. Initially, the battery light did not stay on for over 2-3 minutes, then it went off. I found the battery good, measuring 12.8 volts but I did not measure it running. The last 2 days have seen the battery light off while running. Off completely. We'll see what happens the next few days.

I might add that the tractor is one terrific unit. It runs like an old Caddie.....smooth as silk, quiet, and it runs the 48" decks easily and smooth  as can be. Tractor came with the deck and the deck powered 2 bag pick up unit.

Tractor will be put up for sale in the near future. Just too big for my angular lawn with the small size and contours that are not suited for the xi. I don't use a snow blower on the driveway, either.

Great unit nonetheless.