TC10284

Rear discharge deck easily bogged down

TC10284

I have a 414-8 with a rear discharge deck. It seems like it gets bogged down pretty easily compared to my side discharge on a 312-8. Comparing the two, I can cut through thicker grass with the side discharge on the 312-8. The belt on that one will actually start to squeal when it gets too thick. On the 414-8, the blades just stop spinning on comparatively less thick grass.

I've used both tractors on the same parts of my yard this summer, and the rear discharge deck definitely cannot handle as much as the side discharge. Is this normal? I would have thought that the rear discharge could handle more since it has a bigger opening to throw out clippings, as well as it being on a 14HP vs 12HP engine. As far as I can tell, all belts are tight and not damaged.

Edited by TC10284

953 nut

:confusion-confused:   I switched over to a rear discharge a couple of years ago and am very happy with it. In very tall grass I have to go to first gear and only do a half pass at a time, but that was true of the side discharge too.

• Like 3

Ed Kennell
4 hours ago, TC10284 said:
4 hours ago, TC10284 said:

The belt on that one will actually start to squeal when it gets too thick. On the 414-8, the blades just stop spinning on comparatively less thick grass

Which belt is slipping on these tractors.?    The PTO to deck  or the deck spindle belt?      If the belts and pulleys are in good condition and the tensioning systems are functioning properly  they should not slip.    If  you are trying to cut too much grass at too high  of a ground speed, the engine should bog down, but the belts should not squeal and slip.

What are the sizes of the two decks?     A smaller deck will cut better than a large deck in heavier grass.

• Like 1

Skipper

I have a c-120 with a 42 RD deck, and it eats pretty much everything. In fact it is the only deck I can use when the grass is not absolutely dry. I love it, and it goes thru 3-4 inches of really thick and heavy grass like peace of cake. May I suggest switching decks around, then you know if it's the 14hp engine that has some issues.

For reference, today i cut a walking path in a wheat field, next to some scrub and berry bushes, so the kids could go pick berries. That was with medium raised deck, full speed in 3 gear. Didn't bog down a bit.

Is the deck clean on the inside. If it is stuffed up with wet clippings, it will get hard for it to work.

And as the chef says. Keep your knife sharp! 

just my :twocents-02cents:

• Like 4

oldlineman

I would check the clutch on the 414-8 for slippage I believe that is your problem not the deck.:twocents-02cents:

• Like 2

TC10284
2 hours ago, oldlineman said:

I would check the clutch on the 414-8 for slippage I believe that is your problem not the deck.:twocents-02cents:

I'm thinking this is the most likely scenario as well. How can I determine if it's slipping? 

I did notice yesterday that it seemed like it took longer for the blades on the RD deck to rotate at full speed in comparison to how long it takes the blades to hit full rotation on the side discharge deck. 

5 hours ago, Skipper said:

I have a c-120 with a 42 RD deck, and it eats pretty much everything. In fact it is the only deck I can use when the grass is not absolutely dry. I love it, and it goes thru 3-4 inches of really thick and heavy grass like peace of cake. May I suggest switching decks around, then you know if it's the 14hp engine that has some issues.

For reference, today i cut a walking path in a wheat field, next to some scrub and berry bushes, so the kids could go pick berries. That was with medium raised deck, full speed in 3 gear. Didn't bog down a bit.

Is the deck clean on the inside. If it is stuffed up with wet clippings, it will get hard for it to work.

And as the chef says. Keep your knife sharp! 

just my :twocents-02cents:

Yeah, nothing like that for me. It's worse than my side discharge with weaker engine. I'm using 2nd gear. 
The deck stays clean. I always spray the underside out as best as possible after every use. 

Edited by TC10284

clueless

Switch the decks, that should tell you if it's the deck or the PTO on the 414.

Ed Kennell
34 minutes ago, TC10284 said:

How can I determine if it's slipping? 

Paint a white stripe across both the inside and outside flanges of the PTO clutch. . If the outside bell is turning slower than the inside flange, you should be able to see a difference in the marks.       I would think you should also see smoke and smell the clutch material burning.

• Like 1

TC10284

Sorry I'm just now getting back to you guys. I had some stuff going on and then came down with a cold for most of the week, so I didn't feel much like messing with the decks. Well I did today finally, and the loss of power issue stayed with the 414-8 tractor. After I put the rear discharge on the 312-8, it mowed really well. 

So, I'm not sure what's going on. Should I adjust the PTO? Here's a few pics of the 414-8 PTO (top two). The last pic is of the 312-8 PTO:

https://imgur.com/a/bbdhh

I'm thinking about trying to adjust it using this method:

953 nut

Couldn't see much in the first two photos. Is the clutch material on the 414 as good as the 312?  The adjustment method in the video is good, give it a try.

TC10284

The 414 clutch related stuff should be new. What area of it do you need me to take a better pic of?

Will try the adjustment method and see how it goes.

Edited by TC10284

953 nut
8 hours ago, TC10284 said:

What area of it do you need me to take a better pic of?

Don't need another picture, just asking if the clutch disk is in good condition.

TC10284

So far I believe adjusting the PTO "thing" has made a difference. I turned it toward the seat instead of toward the engine.

Went through as thick of grass as I could find, and also cut down some old corn stalks and it didn't stop the blades anywhere near as much. I adjusted it a couple more turns for good measure after that and it still does well. 

Edited by TC10284
  • Excellent 1

953 nut
2 hours ago, TC10284 said:

adjusting the PTO "thing" has made a difference

:woohoo:

Wishin4a416

I use my 312-8 and 42" RD as my bush hog tractor. Places the 60" deck wont go through on the Farmett. High hay and some young saplings. It eats right through it. I wouldnt think it is the deck.

• Excellent 1