Posted (edited)

Bought a 520xi with a 52" Side Discharge Deck #78370. Got the belt gremlins figured out I think. I replaced all of the spindle bearings as the left one was shot and sounded like a B-52 in flight.  It's a very strong mower, but the scalp mark going down the middle of each pass, isn't good. The center blade is cutting significantly lower than the outside blades. I measured the right and center on concrete and the middle blade, when pointed straight forward, is about 5/8" lower than the right side blade, when it is pointed forward. When I turn the blade tips to meet (side to side bias), they are pretty close to being the same height, maybe off a 1/16" to 1/8".

I removed the anti-scalp rollers in the front when measuring as well. I didn't mow enough with it before I changed out the bearings to really get a feel for the cut, but I would think it would have jumped out at me....

Any suggestions? I am at a loss.

Edited by Texas Todd

A couple of things come to mind.  Simple ones first. 

1.  Did you level the deck the way the manual tells you to do it? 

2.  Do both ends of the center blade have this 5/8 inch lower behavior?

3.  With the deck removed from the tractor and the top of the deck shell level, does the center pulley tilt forward?  You have to eyeball it.

4.  What method are you using to measure the blade height to ground.  I have found that you cannot measuring instrument to get an accurate measurement.  I have to use gage blocks on mine.

• Like 2

the center blade is 5/8 inch lower in front is it about the same amount high at the rear??? If so the deck shell may be bent at the center pulley

All good suggestions. I will wrestle the beast out this afternoon and analyze.  I will have to find a manual regarding leveling. Haven't been able to find one of that model.

I was able to measure the right and center blades with a tape, but that wont work for the left blade. At 5/8" difference, its pretty easy to eyeball a significant difference. I will check the difference on the rear pointed bias as well. Thanks guys. Will report what I find.

Todd, make your self some gauge blocks out of a  2x3 or 2x4.  Make one at 2 1/4 high and then make successive one 1/8 inch taller up to 2 7/8.  Make sure you label them-it will be easy to mix them up if you don't.  With the deck on your tractor, set it about mid height and then slide the gauge blocks between the underside of the blade and the concrete floor.  You can check all blades in north-south, east-west positioning and you will be accurate within 1/8 inch.  As pfredrei said, the center pulley may be bent forward (or the shell is cracked).  Hard to do on an xi deck but very common on classic tractor decks (the xi deck has a tension indicator on the mule drive whereas the classic tractors you set tension by feel and too many owners have cranked them too tight)

By the way, if you go to Toro site, under homeowner, manuals, you can download the manual for free

Finally got around to it this morning. Took the deck off and didn't see any obvious cracks and cant see that its bent, but apparently it must be. It still spins fine

I guess until I stumble on another deck this will just have to be a shredder for tall grass, not lawn mowing....

I have the same issue, but I know I hit a hefty oak root.  The center scalps pretty bad.  If you have the deck off, you can put a long level across the shell, and see the difference between the blades and the front of the shell, when the blades are all to the front, like III, It sounds like something similar may have happened in the past.  I'd love to have another good deck, but in Florida they are hard to find.  This winter I'll try to remove the center spindle, and try to heat and hammer it back in place.  

Just like Doc said, you need to measure the blade height. Find the Owners manual here in the Manuals section. You may have an issue with the deck being attached to the tractor as well. Once again I offer the suggestion on RS of getting one of these tools to measure the blade height made by Sten, etc. I found mine at a JD dealer. It makes life much simpler.

When you changed the spindle bearings, did you seat them completely in the spindle housing? Did you install the spacer on the shaft between the bearings? There should not be any movement up or down on the shaft.

DSC01811.JPG.828bccc1439c3c5b3a55784085e7d527.JPG

DSC01812.JPG.3448dfbde5ad9cb67ec871bd66b0b6f8.JPG

Posted (edited)

Yes. I removed the center spindle to make sure, all the parts are there and no movement up and down. 

I suspect I must have over tightened the PTO belt before realizing the gauges were present. I was trying to figure out a way to try to bend it back, but figured I would probably just make it worse. 

Thats a neat gadget. I will have to get one.

Edited by Texas Todd

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By FELOPZD
      Hello everyone,

I NEED HELP!

I came across a gentleman that is selling his whole Wheel Horse collection to clear out his garage.  This is what he has:

($600)   93 520H, 1400hrs  runs perfect, 48" deck. Torn seat. 20hp Onan.  Has owned since new.  He says it is a gas guzzler.
      ($1000) 01 520xi, 2889 hrs (key must have been left on).  20hp kohler. Looks in good shape.  tight and shows little wear.   Starts, runs fine. only a puff of smoke at initial start-up. minor Hydro noise, but it was 25 degrees out.
                    comes with 78363 48" deck, 42" blower.
      ($500)  additional 60" xi deck, clean, no rust, original
      ($1000) 268h with 360hrs in the best condition of the 3.
      ($1200) 52" Z-master zero-turn with 600 hrs.
      ($500)   02 520lxi for parts, running.
      ($3500) for everything above.

I am upgrading, potentially from a Deere GT225 with around 500hrs.  The GT is uncomfortable, and the 42" deck is small.  I have hilly terrain and about an acre of grass.  
      I need the tractor for snow removal and mowing only, in addition to hauling a trailer to/from the woods.  I have a 1981 1710 Ford tractor with a FEL, PTO/3pt, and back blade for big jobs.

Please steer me correctly.  Tell me what to look for specifically, as I am new to Wheel Horse.  Thanks for any/ALL input!!!

-Eric

• By oliver2-44
      So I'm going to ask the WH "Lions Dens" opinion on this one?
      As the story always goes I was searching 'that for sale site", usually looking for that rare old round hood and I came across this ....1997 Model 520xi Toro Workhorse, Number 73540 Kohler 20 hp, engine, Eaton 11 Hydro, 2 speed Uni-Drive® transaxle with a hydraulic lift 52" Side Discharge Mower. Seller is asking $600 and is selling due to moving from larger property to a small property across the country (He is the 2nd owner and has maintenance receipt's back to 2002 when he bought it. Last fall it had +$300 of service, (belts, blades, engine & transmission oils & filter changes. It runs good, no smoke, and has a few paint scrapes and the hood bottom front piece is broken, seat has cracks, tires seem good, Eaton transmission seemed to work OK but I did not get to get it hot and spin the tires with it against a tree,  deck appears solid, reportedly garage kept.
       I really don't need a 52" deck and would end up putting my 42" on it.  I'm a little concerned about all the electronic circuits on it (I sort of like the simplicity of my older 312 and C-160)
      I have a John Deere LT150 as my mower tractor that I could sell to my sister and almost be no money out of pocket. I've only physically seen one of these, so I'm a rookie on these later model WH's!  I 'm on the fence of why this one interest me, so here's my questions:
      1. Am I correct it does not have the "swept front axle"?  (I've read most 97's do not)
      2. It does not have power steering....would I regret that?
      3. Am I correct that my current attachments that fit my 1985 312-8 (42" deck ,long frame doze blade, grader blade, and tiller) will fit this tractor (since they fit all 300, 400, 500 series tractor)? 
      4. WH are somewhat rare in my area which means there usually a little pricier, but they all do show up for sale over time. So if I want a newer model should I be holding out for power steering and a swept front axle?

5. Yes I have the WH addiction, but do ya'll see anything in the pictures and price that I'm missing

• By jusgettingbuy
      523Dxi riding mower. This tractor has a very strong 23hp, 3 cylinder diesel engine. Starts right up, no need to use the glow plugs! Runs strong, smooth, and clean! She doesn't burn a drop of oil. This comes standard with: power steering, tilt wheel, foot controls, real electric cruise control, working headlights and taillights, hydraulic lift (with down pressure), tilt and sliding seat, rear dual quick hitch, mid and front attach-a-matic hook ups, liquid cooling, hydrostatic drive, high and low range transmission, full dash with lights and gauges. This comes with a 48" side discharge mower deck (pics coming) as well as the mule drive, brand new Wheel Horse 75 lb wheel weights (plastic), brand new 2 link tire chains, brand new rubber Terra Grip tire chains, some extra filters, and a brand new oem 48" snow plow / dozer blade. Note: this snow plow is Brand New and has never touched the ground! You can angle it right from the seat. All paint is factory paint. This tractor is a very rare model being the diesel. The battery is strong, the tires are like new and all hold air with no leaks. There are NO drips or leaks anywhere on the machine. I have the original bill of sale, all the books, brochures, owners manuals and service manuals. If you don't haggle on price I will throw in an extra set of 50lb wheel weights (plastic) as well as another pair of 75lb cast iron rear wheel weights (very rare, too). This tractor was 9k new with the mower deck! All original and in mint condition. Mower deck is solid, I do believe it may need one set of spindle bearings. One set was replaced and has about 3 hours on them. Haven't used the deck in over a year. Extremely clean machine!  Graphics are compliments of Terry. The seat is aftermarket and very close to the original design. I have the original seat. As you can see the sun was coming through the trees making some of the photos patchy. There are no dents on this tractor. There are some scratches here and there but the red paint is all original. The red on the underside is superb! With the exception of the seat and decals everything is stock. That diesel motor is unbelievably strong!  I have plenty of photos I can email to serious parties.

• By Usmc1968
      Howdy folks,
      I have been searching but cannot find an answer so thanks for your patience. I am getting my 1999 520xi with the Kohler Command engine ready for Spring. Changing all the filters and fluids. I cannot read what is on the inline fuel filter.  Last time it was serviced by a Toro dealer so I do not know what they put in there.

Thanks in advance

Semper Fidelis
    • By Roperracer
      1998 toro wheelhorse 520xi for sale. Has 20 hp Kohler engine and 48" deck. A local toro dealer has serviced it since new and just serviced it as well. fresh tune up and new blades. This is a monster of a lawn mower. Hydrostatic drive with hi/low selector. Hydraulic deck lift, electric pto clutch.  Has gas gauge and oil temp gauge. Everything works great!