Sign in to follow this  
Ammoguy

Points and Condenser Question

Ammoguy

:whistle: I had a problem with my Charger 12 and removed the engine and of course when I undid the electrical connections, I didn't write down what wire went where because I thought I would finish it up the next day :whistle: , well 2 weeks later, I am back to working on it and find a wire that was hooked to the Ign. Switch and ran down to the condenser, this is a wire some one made for it and I don't know if it is an original wire or not. The engine on it is a K301S not the original engine the tractor came with. When I touch that wire to the hot side of the starter switch, it fires the plug. :dunno:

Anyhow, to make a long story short, I have ordered a new condenser and set of points for it, but am not sure how to hook it up and need some help. :thumbs:

Ammoguy

Is it possible that someone used the wire from the switch to the condenser to bypass the magneto? :thumbs:

Rollerman

I'm a little unclear on your wireing problem per your description.

But if you have a K series Kohler with battery ignition.

One wire should lead to the coil off the ignition to the positive side & will supply 12volts when the key is in the run/start position.

The condensor will be close to the points tied together with a wire running up to the negative side of the coil.

Ammoguy

I believe this engine runs on a magneto since I don't see a coil, the plug wire runs under the cover. I believe that someone wired around the magneto straight to the condenser and the spark is always there, just takes the points to send it out? :thumbs:

WheelHorse_of_course

I could be a kill switch. :whistle: :thumbs:

nylyon

If you have a magneto ignition, the wire which runs to the ignition switch is the kill wire. Unlike battery ignition, the magneto ignition grounds the points out to stop the spark. Search around the site, TT had a pretty good explanation on how the system works along with (if the picture is still there) where that wire should go on the switch.

iicap

A word or six on condensers. 50 yrs ago in trade school, auto shop, we were taught a condenser is to store current (may be the wrong term) when there is to much and supply it back when not enough. Simple enough for then and never had to look farther at them in all these years.

Did you ever load a condenser and toss it to someone and yell "catch"? Take a condenser and rest the body of it on the cyl head of a running engine that has no boot over over the plug wire terminal at the plug. Hold the cond midway on its lead wire and bring the flag/terminal end to the plug wire at the plug. You will see the spark jump to the cond lead. Let it jump three or four times and pull it away. DON'T touch the lead and cond body at same time as it will LIGHT YOU UP. You then bend the lead wire around and touch to the cond body and you will see the cond unload with a nice rich blue spark.

This was common practice by the seniors and juniors when the new sophmores came in each year and we learned quick.

Sorry if I went off sub to far, thought you might get a kick out of it. :thumbs:

williambogner

:thumbs: whered you got to trade school if you dont mind me asking hehe i go to Cheney and am in auto

iicap

William, I went to J. M. Wright technical school in Stamford CT.

williambogner

Iicap,

I have a friend that goes there but graduated. just curious. Im currently in Auto at Cheney Tech and love it. Thanks for sharing

William

WHC-125

I go to Emmett O Brien Tech in Ansonia Ct. I am taking up Manufacturing.

Ammoguy

Got the new points and condenser today and got them on and the horse running again. I guess the wire was a shut-off wire, thanks for suggesting it! :thumbs: :whistle: