Skipper

Battery exploded

Skipper

Hi

A word of advise offered, and a bit of info wanted please.

Today while mowing with my C-120, it suddenly gave a rather loud pop, not quite like a shotgun, but close to it. I saw parts flying off the tractor. I stopped, listened, and could not hear anything wrong with the engine.  Looked closer and i saw the top af the battery was blown right off. Newer seen that before! So I stopped the engine and rinsed the tractor down with water. Luckily I dit not get sprayed. So I found another battery, started it up, and checked the charging. 15.8V. Well that explained it, so now I know the voltage regulator is not good. So my warning to you all is, if your battery is out in the open, check if it over charges. I can't help thinking, what if my kids had been next to it....................

So aside with the melodrama, and here goes the question. A voltage regulator for a C-120 is next to impossible to find her, so would I be able to source one from any old tractor. Briggs powered or what not? Or do I have to ground the horse till I can find a spare in the US?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Lee1977

You can use the same type regulator rectifier that is on a Magnum, the mounting will be different. You can find them on Ebay at a reasonable price. Before you buy one check your grounds. A bad ground can cause the voltage to be up.

Partstree list the same type as yours but at $193 I don't think you will want one.

Edited by Lee1977
  • Like 4

953 nut
1 hour ago, Lee1977 said:

A bad ground can cause the voltage to be up

:text-yeahthat:

• Like 3

Shuboxlover

Had that happen to me while I was snow blowing years ago....and this was right after I just restored the tractor.  I gave it a good bath with the hose in 15 degree weather, left it outside so it wouldn't drip in the garage...ONE BIG ICE CUBE in the morning.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

pacer
19 minutes ago, Shuboxlover said:

.ONE BIG ICE CUBE in the morning.

Heh!, no doubt, but.... what choice did you have? that acid HAD to be diluted.

• Like 2

Achto
On 8/25/2017 at 5:20 PM, Skipper said:

A voltage regulator for a C-120 is next to impossible to find her, so would I be able to source one from any old tractor. Briggs powered or what not? Or do I have to ground the horse till I can find a spare in the US?

I do not know their over seas shipping prices but you can find an A.M. regulator on this site for around $30 US. http://www.psep.biz/store/kohler_voltage_regulator.htm

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

GREYGHOST

I'm unfamiliar with your Tractor but these folks have been able to help me with old parts in the past. Replacement Parts 1-888-346-4815. Good Luck

Brent

• Thanks 1

Skipper

So, I cleaned the regulator, checked connections, made a second 100% grounding, and still it goes up. Today it went to almost 17V, so I'm also grounded till a replacement can find it's way here :(

Thanks for all the advise and help !

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

TDF5G
On 8/25/2017 at 5:43 PM, Lee1977 said:

Partstree list the same type as yours but at $193 I don't think you will want one.

:o  Holy Voltage, Batman!  

That's insane.

• Like 2

rmaynard

I don't know what their overseas shipping rates are, but a replacement regulator from Milford Power is an option.

http://www.milfordpower.com/R10297-Voltage-Regulator-Replaces-Kohler-41-403-06-p/r10297.htm

Oops, no international shipping available.

Edited by rmaynard
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Skipper

Skipper

OK, so the china 8 buck + change including freight regulator came in last week.  :-)

It was really easy to mount. Clear markings, actually the exact same markings as on the other wise identical units that are supposed to be "not china made". To me they look exactly the same................. Not just sort of, but 100% exactly the same, on the outside anyway. I can not see the hardware inside, so I can not be 100% sure, but my gut tells me this is the exact same product, as the much more expensive "originals", which I guess is probably made at the same factory, but probably in the weekends :D. Just my guess of cause.

Well did it work? Yup. It took 5 minutes, and now it charges with precisely 14,2v. No less, no more.

Will it last as long as if I had paid a fortune for an original? Well your guess is as good as mine...............

• Excellent 2

953 nut
1 hour ago, Skipper said:

took 5 minutes, and now it charges with precisely 14,2v

:woohoo:

• Like 1