rovert21

Tire recommendations

rovert21

Hey guys. Looking for new tires for my 312-8 the tires are 23 x 8.50 - 12, doesn't seem like there is many options out there. I have some pretty serious hills to mow, and I also plan on plowing for the first time this winter. I'm just looking for recommendations on tires. Should i go with turf savers and run chains full time? Would AG tires be any good. Or is there something in between?

THANKS 

KC9KAS

@rovert21 :text-welcomeconfetti: to :rs:

I think turf tires with fluid in them would be better/less damage on the yard than chains.

Ag type tires are good for traction, but can be rough on the yard, and you may still need some added weight depending on how steep you are working with.

• Like 1

SylvanLakeWH
45 minutes ago, KC9KAS said:

@rovert21 :text-welcomeconfetti: to :rs:

I think turf tires with fluid in them would be better/less damage on the yard than chains.

Ag type tires are good for traction, but can be rough on the yard, and you may still need some added weight depending on how steep you are working with.

:text-yeahthat:

Then add chains for the winter...

:twocents-02cents:

Sarge

I have a very steep ditch and some areas that collect water all year - run ags with chains on them year 'round and never tear up the yard . I've had more problems trying to weight down turf tires enough to stop them from spinning on high angle hill climbs so I went this route - never take the chains off and all mine and run weights and a few also run fluid-filled tires . Never spin a wheel and they never tear up the grass . Unless you turn super sharp at high speed it should not be a problem . Only tracks I've ever made were in 4" of standing water - it brought up some mud but the next mowing took care of that ...

Not sure where or why this thing about ags or chains will tear up a lawn . Ok , maybe on a golf course green or something like that but a typical lawn I have yet to damage the turf in any way - some of mine have rear wheels that weigh over 150lbs between fluid/weights/chains - no problem yet . The little JD LA series mower I inherited does more damage with it's turf tires and light weight tractor design than any of the Horses - it spins the wheels too easily and leaves ripped marks up any steep hill , every time trying to find traction .... So , it's had heavy plates bolted to the rear to help with that , but it still spins too easily .

Sarge

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

oliver2-44

Consider looking at 23 x 9.50 - 12 along with the 23 x 8.50 - 12 to give yourself more options.  Some brands make one size but not the other. 

Sarge

Two of my favorite brands - Carlisle Tru Power and the BKT in ag versions have been excellent so far . To my understanding - the Tru Power in the larger rear sizes are now made offshore , if that matters . The BKT front ags I run on the D180 have been excellent in traction and wear rate - they still have the molding nubs on them despite having 10+ miles of road use and a lot of heavy blade work .

Sarge

ebinmaine
2 hours ago, Sarge said:

Carlisle Tru Power

Big +1 for them. 

cleat

My bigger diesel tractor has industrial tires on it.

It does not tear up the yard but does leave indented tracks.

However, that tractor weighs around 6000 lbs.

My 520's all have turf tires, 2 of the tractors have liquid filled tires and those ones certainly spin less especially mowing ditches.

rovert21

Ok thanks for the suggestions. I think im leaning towards some sort of ag tire. 2 things I am concerned about with them is I heard they dont always do great on pavement, and do chains fit well on them. Just looking at them it doesnt seem like chains would fit nicely or be very effective, but i dont know i have never used either. I did pick up wheel weights the other day that i will probably run full time, and i think im going to get chains for  plowing snow in the winter. Any suggestions on a decently priced set of chains?

Sarge

They sit fine on top of the bars and bite like mad . In gravel , the harder the tractor pulls the harder they dig for traction and will leave some marks . Be very careful on seal coated asphalt - the chains will tear it up .

59a16de7eb9d3_1277winter2014.jpg.ecf8db052901b0073f5dff79eb53dacb.jpg

59a16e50ad95f_1277inshed2.jpg.4d6b6073988ce5d1bf058d093944ffc4.jpg

59a16f0770e0c_drivewaypic.jpg.e29c184b588deec7fb0d4987bab8b93f.jpg

Sarge

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

rovert21

Ok, thanks. Good to know.

ebinmaine
On 8/25/2017 at 6:23 PM, rovert21 said:

and do chains fit well on them.

I'm told - 2 link spacing is important for use on AG tires to help keep the cross chains properly aligned. 

I use Carlisle Tru Power and recommend them highly..... I use no chains but don't operate in snow.

I do run them across grass and do occasionally notice  tread indentation in low traction situations . .... which really doesn't bother me..... 

In MY experience :

More weight In or On the tire will help prevent slipping and hence prevent damage to a degree.