roadapples

Half hour limit

roadapples

I have a c160 auto. with a replacement M16S spec # 711502. I've mowed with it for over two years with no problems. Lately after 30 to 40 minutes, which I've timed, it starts sputtering and quits... I thought it was fuel related so I replaced the fuel lines, filter and rebuilt-cleaned the carb twice. Also checked vent in gas cap and fuel filter is full. The last two times it quit I left it sit over night without changing a thing and it starts right up and runs fine for another 30 min.

So now I'm thinking something electrical is getting hot. Would appreciate your thoughts on where to start looking.... Thanks..

BOB ELLISON

The coil is known for that. I had a car that did that and the coil would get hot and cut out. Also the condenser does the same thing.

• Like 6

roadapples

Being a magnum it doesn't have a coil like the K's...

Big_Red_Fred

Spark plug or wire isnt making a good connection to the plug, gets hot & looses connection. My sons 310-8 had that issue

• Like 1

BOB ELLISON
5 minutes ago, roadapples said:

Being a magnum it doesn't have a coil like the K's...

Thank you @roadapples I did not think about the m16. I just saw that it was a C160. You are right again no coil on the 

M 16 

• Like 1

roadapples

Thanks anyway for your quick reply.   @BOB ELLISON

Big_Red_Fred

Could be a something broke loose in fuel pump to, found a piece of rubber on the 414-8, blocking the hole

I have 2 old school Fuel pumps if you need any ? Free, i'm not looking for any thing, also have a Walbro Carb off a C120, asked ericj if he needed a carb, said not really, rebuilt too, Free

• Like 4

BOB ELLISON

I think I would start with the easy things first. 

Check the gas cap for vents pluged. 

After it stops running spray gas in carb to see if it runs if it does its gas related. 

I'm not much good on the M series yet.

Sorry I couldn't be more help. 

The 30 min thing tell me pluged gas cap or fuel starvation. 

Edited by BOB ELLISON
  • Like 5

Big_Red_Fred

Ed, your getting like me LOL

• Confused 1

Bill D

I say change the coil.  The coil on the m16 can go bad.  I have seen B&S Magnetron coils fail and they are solid state just like the Kohler coil on the M16.   Kohler refers to it as an ignition module, not a coil, sorry for any confusion.  I would try changing it with another known good module off a spare engine if you have one.  If you don't have a spare buy an aftermarket one from Brian Miller for $60.00.  He also has the OEM Kohler part for $87.20.  The part number is 47 584 03-S.  Good luck.

Edited by Bill D
Additional Information
  • Like 1

Big_Red_Fred

@Bill D He said there isnt a coil on his Magnum ?

squonk

You can buy a cheap inline spark tester at Napa. It looks like a test light with a terminal the spark plug cable hooks to and a short spark plug cable on the other end. Carry it with you and when it quits plug it in and check the spark. It there's no spark replace the magnum spark making doo hingus. If there's spark, replace the fuel pump.

• Like 8

Ed Kennell
36 minutes ago, squonk said:

the magnum  doo hingus.

Now I finally know why I prefer the Ks over the Ms.   Who would want an engine with a DOO HINGUS hanging on it?      :confusion-shrug:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

JC 1965
53 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

Now I finally know why I prefer the Ks over the Ms.   Who would want an engine with a DOO HINGUS hanging on it?      :confusion-shrug:

What's the part # on the DOO Hingus ?  I can't find it in the parts manual.       :teasing-poke:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

roadapples

Thanks guys, I'll check these things and get back to you. Might take a couple days....:handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

Big_Red_Fred

Part # right here in my Mister Hainey Green acres catalog under suspenders

• Like 1

woodchuckfarmer

If the valve clearance is to tight when the engine warms up the valves grow ( get longer) Then you loose your valve clearance and your compression.     Wayne

• Like 5