The_turbo_tuba

Onan to kohler k series swap

The_turbo_tuba

I have a wheel horse 516-h and I am looking to swap in a kohler single cylinder model like a k-341 or k321. Or a magnum series single cylinder. Does anyone have any idea what the swap will entail, what parts will carry over and what things I should look for on the kohler. Also I believe the mounting plate on the current set up can be removed to fit a kohler perfectly like they would be set up on like a 310-8. In new to wheel horse so I appreciate anyone's help! Thanks! 

bds1984

What oil pan does your K-series have? If your replacement engine has battery ignition, I'm pretty sure you can use the existing wiring as is. If your replacement engine is a Magnum, you'll have to do some rewiring of the ignition switch to be able to shut off the engine since the ignition switch will ground out the coil out on any Magnum engine. You will probably need a drive belt cover plate off a single cylinder machine since they're slightly different or if you have a sawzall, that'll work, too. I've replaced an M18 with a K321 and a P220 Onan with an M18. It really isn't that difficult once you have all the bits in front of you.

The_turbo_tuba
11 hours ago, bds1984 said:

What oil pan does your K-series have? If your replacement engine has battery ignition, I'm pretty sure you can use the existing wiring as is. If your replacement engine is a Magnum, you'll have to do some rewiring of the ignition switch to be able to shut off the engine since the ignition switch will ground out the coil out on any Magnum engine. You will probably need a drive belt cover plate off a single cylinder machine since they're slightly different or if you have a sawzall, that'll work, too. I've replaced an M18 with a K321 and a P220 Onan with an M18. It really isn't that difficult once you have all the bits in front of you.

I dont have a k series yet, but what should i look for, what size shaft, and oil pan. Also what hp would you recommend. and what engines have the same ignition as a p216-g

bds1984

For simplicity, look for the large base oil pan. Some say the small base with the cradle mount vibrate too much like an old Harley.  I can say that mine really don't as I have new rubber mount on one and the K341 has the balance gears removed and is on good mounts. But I would look for the large base anyways for simplicity. All Magnum singles are the large base. 

I think that if you stay with a K-series 10hp and over, they will be 1-1/8" shaft like your Onan is. I would shoot for a 14-16 hp engine especially if you are running a 48-inch deck, if not, an M12 or K301 will be just fine. Having not have worked on a P216 yet, I am going out on a limb by saying it should have the same ignition system as its big brother, therefore I should work on any K-series. Good luck finding a good running M16 or K341 that is affordable! 

The_turbo_tuba
16 minutes ago, bds1984 said:

For simplicity, look for the large base oil pan. Some say the small base with the cradle mount vibrate too much like an old Harley.  I can say that mine really don't as I have new rubber mount on one and the K341 has the balance gears removed and is on good mounts. But I would look for the large base anyways for simplicity. All Magnum singles are the large base. 

I think that if you stay with a K-series 10hp and over, they will be 1-1/8" shaft like your Onan is. I would shoot for a 14-16 hp engine especially if you are running a 48-inch deck, if not, an M12 or K301 will be just fine. Having not have worked on a P216 yet, I am going out on a limb by saying it should have the same ignition system as its big brother, therefore I should work on any K-series. Good luck finding a good running M16 or K341 that is affordable! 

Thanks for the advice! would a kohler twin cylinder be just as easy to use? and can you swap oil pans on the k series. i found a m16 with a "stubby crank" will that work?

Edited by The_turbo_tuba

bds1984

I doubt a stubby crank would work. Remember there will be two pulleys on the side. You may be able to swap pans on the singles, details are in the article I shared with you. If you go the twin-cylinder Kohler route, make sure it was off a Whee Horse or has a spec number that indicates the engine has crank bearings that can handle the side load a Wheel Horse clutch puts on an engine... ie, clutch pushing against the engine. I went through this when I put an M18 from a Cub Cadet on a 520H so now I can only push/plow snow and pull trailers since this engine has the wrong bearing type for a Wheel horse PTO.

Searcher60

You can find and purchase a medium hour, 520H with 48" deck, for $1k. What you are trying to do  ain't worth it. Good luck finding a 341 that ain't junked out. Buy another WH, sell your deck to finance it. Good luck.

PS- Those who do  have a K341 for sale are going to lie their ass off about its condition just to get your money.

Edited by Searcher60

AMC RULES

:rolleyes:     :blink: 

:scratchead:   :confusion-shrug:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

ACman

Give these guys a call ... one stop shop. 

• Like 2

pfrederi
19 hours ago, bds1984 said:

I doubt a stubby crank would work. Remember there will be two pulleys on the side. You may be able to swap pans on the singles, details are in the article I shared with you. If you go the twin-cylinder Kohler route, make sure it was off a Whee Horse or has a spec number that indicates the engine has crank bearings that can handle the side load a Wheel Horse clutch puts on an engine... ie, clutch pushing against the engine. I went through this when I put an M18 from a Cub Cadet on a 520H so now I can only push/plow snow and pull trailers since this engine has the wrong bearing type for a Wheel horse PTO.

You could put on an electric PTO that was used on Electros and some others or mount an external thrust bearing and plate as WH did when they used some B&S motors

• Like 1