briankd

hub removal question

briankd

worked on getting hubs off my c-120 to replace axle seals have a puller on them and heated them and won't budge. seen on here someone talked about using wax to help them come off ? i got into my wife's sewing wax and while hot ran block off wax around axle it seemed to draw it in and at one time had the whole hub flaming from the wax burning off. how does this wax thing work ? never used it before. i really don't want to break the hubs if at all possible  i have enough  pressure on puller now that any more it may snap em. i did my 857 and them hubs fell right off but not theses ones .:unsure: Thanks Brian

i thought of using one of them bearing splitter pullers they will fit tight around the axle behind the hub but my buddy has one but won't be till next week before he around to borrow it thought i could get them off without it  

Edited by briankd

squonk

Show us a pic of your puller set up.

• Like 1

briankd
21 minutes ago, squonk said:

Show us a pic of your puller set up.

all i have now is an automotive harmonic balancer puller. have 2- 3/8 bolts going thru the 2 of five lug bolt holes. that is all that the puller will line up with hole wise

guess if they won't come off after i soak em for a week guess i will cut them off split them into 2 halves and go and find 2 hubs and put them back on using never seize.

thought making up a puller but will prolly never use it again after this one here.like i said guy i know worked on wheel horses back in the day he may have on he used but he at tractor shows till next week.   

KC9KAS
1 hour ago, briankd said:

have 2- 3/8 bolts going thru the 2 of five lug bolt holes. that is all that the puller will line up with hole wise

You better stop now before you break a hub.

You need equal pressure around the hub (all 5 lug bolt holes) like this:

88cec0174658700.jpg

• Like 5
  • Excellent 2

briankd
21 minutes ago, KC9KAS said:
2 hours ago, briankd said:

have 2- 3/8 bolts going thru the 2 of five lug bolt holes. that is all that the puller will line up with hole wise

You better stop now before you break a hub.

You need equal pressure around the hub (all 5 lug bolt holes) like this:

88cec0174658700.jpg

yea exactly going to show in  portland indiana this week will see if i can find any hubs of any kind close  to make a puller. and may run across some wh hubs  

• Like 1

lynnmor

Remove the set screw(s) and look in at the key.  If the groove inside the hub wore so that the key is no longer in line with the keyway, you will not be able to pull it off.  If you can rotate it with a hammer, that may be the problem, so then tap it to align it and try pulling again.

• Like 2

pacer

Oh Boy!!! those da** hubs!! they and steering wheels are the bane of us horse lovers!

I got disgusted and got on the mill and lathe and with a piece of 5/8" metal plate and a 3/4" bolt I made a puller to match the 5 holes --- even then with my big 3/4" impact driver with 130psi hammering it took some 10-12 min just creeping off. So, like the fellas said get a much better puller, that cast iron is somewhat brittle and it WILL break.

• Like 2

KC9KAS
7 hours ago, pacer said:

Oh Boy!!! those da** hubs!! they and steering wheels are the bane of us horse lovers!

You might want to add the hitch pin that goes through the transmission rear-end housing!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

elcamino/wheelhorse

@meadowfield Did you attach the bottle jack in any way or does it just set in the puller and a aligned by sight? 

woodchuckfarmer

Ive got a puller something like that only I used a 20 ton jack.

KC9KAS

@meadowfield It looks like you only have 3 pieces of threaded rod between the hubs...Is that correct?

ohiofarmer

Brian, I have an old hub to pull yours with. You are not that far away from me according to the member map. Bring over your tractor and we can get the hub removed

meadowfield
On 25/08/2017 at 10:02 AM, KC9KAS said:

@meadowfield It looks like you only have 3 pieces of threaded rod between the hubs...Is that correct?

Only got the pic. I have to put them in pieces to fit the bottle jack in. But can only fit 4, those rods are under serious tension and snap at around 5 tons!!

• Excellent 1

meadowfield

just in case you wondered why I knew they snapped... :D

IMG_5874.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Searcher60

It's a lot easier with some heat. But, you will then need new seals. 

briankd

btw i did get the hubs off  spent 2 hours on one had it cherry red with a torch and still didn't wanna move but i got one off and broke one.   

• Like 1

Dennis Gintowt

imageproxy.php?img=&key=233175c88be08e9bI tried this works great.imageproxy.php?img=&key=233175c88be08e9bimageproxy.php?img=&key=233175c88be08e9b

269863DA-4F95-493D-A398-B22A8B2B6919.jpeg

4A408DCB-0B1B-49D8-991E-5FB404EC9C07.jpeg

FE97BEA2-CE62-4557-AD08-B3D9751AC19B.jpeg

1EDA2DDC-63FB-492A-B557-98334C3DEF99.jpeg

0C0FAE3C-1A6D-4D94-A13F-0EEC098CA381.jpeg

Edited by Dennis Gintowt
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 3

sfjohnson722

That is an ingenious contraption @Dennis Gintowt!!! The bar has now been raised significantly!

I just found this post today after snapping a hub last night with a 2-ton gear puller driven with a 20v Dewalt impact. Don't try it this way:

IMG_2799_sm.jpg.b0359473fe0106b3420e0dedd65b541f.jpgIMG_2801_sm.jpg.a1d89b024072a62dbf8f759917020bf3.jpg

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Petes Horse

If you use a puller this worked for me. tighten the puller 20/30lbs, heat the hub, pull and hold the axle out even if its only an 1/8", then hit the screw in part of the puller good and hard. the shock load will move the axle a tiny bit. The shock is what gets it done. As it moves the sound of the hit will go from high pitch to a thud. rinse and repeat. Also grind the point off the puller. it may swell the end of the axle.   What Iynnmor said it very true. Mine were really wallowed out. Hope this helps. good luck.

NCM_0187.JPG.cc2f0bed2dbda7303ceaf624a546cdb2.JPG