pstlouis

22hp predator vtwin swap?

pstlouis

Im thinking about swaping out my 16hp kohler with one of those 22hp twins from harbor freight.  I want to keep the functionality of the pto, but im not sure if the shaft is the right size or if mounts will line up.  Has anyone else done this?

WHX??

Lots of guys have ..question is whats wrong with the Kohler that can't be fixed?

• Like 5

ohiofarmer
7 hours ago, pstlouis said:

Im thinking about swaping out my 16hp kohler with one of those 22hp twins from harbor freight.  I want to keep the functionality of the pto, but im not sure if the shaft is the right size or if mounts will line up.  Has anyone else done this?

You can go to Harbor Freight site and go to that engine description page.  Click on the "manual' tab and near the end of the manual, there is a parts list and drawings that show both the base hole locations and shaft height locations. The shaft it 1" diameter, so you will have to add bushings to get it to 1-1/8

Sarge

Just be wary of the temptation to go to a larger V-twin engine such as the Predator . Yes , folks like them - but , in comparison it's going to lack the raw torque of a large bore single cylinder Kohler . I have a 22hp Briggs in a JD lawn tractor with 48" deck - it bogs in comparison to the '73 16 Auto and it's single cylinder Kohler when it comes to heavy work with the same size deck . It is very hard to knock a K-341 off it's power band when working due to that torque , v-twin engines just don't have it and will use their governor to the max to keep up . The 18hp-20hp K series twin opposed engines are built to give the same torque curve and will kick a comparable engine from the current market down the street when it comes to doing the same work - they are an animal compared to modern v-twins . The only engines I can find that will compare in torque level to the K-341 is a 16-18hp diesel , and those have price tags that will scare anyone ....

Sarge

• Excellent 1

953 nut
1 hour ago, Sarge said:

22hp Briggs in a JD lawn tractor with 48" deck - it bogs in comparison to the '73 16 Auto and it's single cylinder Kohler

There was a lot of misrepresentation of HP by B&S resulting in a legal action against them. 

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2010/04/lawnmower_settlement.html

• Like 3

Jerry77
27 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

There was a lot of misrepresentation of HP by B&S resulting in a legal action against them

Interesting - they went after all of the manufacturers...a modern conspiracy no less...

• Like 2

6bg6ga

Just my opinion.... I would rebuild the Kohler and nix the idea of the B&S engine.  Everything will continue to function s it was meant to and its still original. And as pointed out its a better engine.

Aldon

Seems to be a lot of concern about lack of thrust bearing and use of Manual PTO.

several have swapped them and then used electric PTO

Check out @fast88pu pulling thread. He just installed Predator 22 on his puller. 

And JS I just mounted this 22 to my GT22-8 build.

IMG_1284.JPG.2268eb923e2fbd3268f5a825cc024299.JPG

6bg6ga

I think an Onan would look nice sitting in that tractor.

• Like 2