Rob XC700

DOZER BLADE BRACKET ANGLE SPACER

Rob XC700

I understand that the 8 speed axle is suppose to have an angle spacer for the dozer bracket. What exactly does that spacer do?

Part # 7713

Tankman

Are you speaking of the axle mounting assembly?

Lee1977

I have seen that angle piece in the drawings. I believe it is to fill the space between the bolt on the front of the axle and it would also provide a larger area against the front of the axle housing.

Edited by Lee1977
  • Like 1

Rob XC700
8 minutes ago, Tankman said:

Are you speaking of the axle mounting assembly?

Yes, the dozer bracket that bolts to the bottom of the axle housing. In the assembly instructions it mentions a small spacer bracket, and it's indicated in the parts list. It looks like it may be to hold the bracket rearward by going in-between the housing and the rear bolt. This thought just came to me as I was answering you. May have answered my own question...lol.

11 minutes ago, Lee1977 said:

I seen that angle piece in the drawings. I believe it is to fill the space between the bolt on the front of the axle and it would also provide a larger area against the front of the axle housing.

Yes, I just realized the angled tab would go down between the bolt and the housing. It just dawned on me in the last 5 minutes. It faces rearward in the parts diagram, so I assume the tab goes between the rear bolt.

That being said, need to make sure the mounting bracket is pulled as far rearward upon installation if you don't have the spacer.

• Like 1

Jerry77

Have had dozer blade on 3 different WH including hydro - never had that spacer on any of them...who knew?  :lol:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Rob XC700
4 hours ago, Jerry77 said:

Have had dozer blade on 3 different WH including hydro - never had that spacer on any of them...who knew?  :lol:

According to the instructions it's only required on the 8 speed not the hydro. So I assume the hydro axle housing is slightly larger.

• Like 1

TDF5G

I've looked through the files to find the instruction and parts manual for the rear attach-a-matic hitch and I cannot find it.   I have an original instruction sheet and it does show the spacers for the smaller axles, I remember.  I'm at work, don't have it here, but I found a couple of pics of my B-100 that you can see the spacers mounted.  Basically a flat piece of metal bent in an L shape to take up the space of the small axle housing painted red.   

IMG_3017.JPG

IMG_3025.JPG

IMG_3026.JPG

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Rob XC700
47 minutes ago, TDF5G said:

I've looked through the files to find the instruction and parts manual for the rear attach-a-matic hitch and I cannot find it.   I have an original instruction sheet and it does show the spacers for the smaller axles, I remember.  I'm at work, don't have it here, but I found a couple of pics of my B-100 that you can see the spacers mounted.  Basically a flat piece of metal bent in an L shape to take up the space of the small axle housing painted red.   

IMG_3017.JPG

IMG_3025.JPG

IMG_3026.JPG

That's a great pic! Thanks, that confirms it for all what it is. Since it's not required on the hydro's, they most likely have been discarded over the years. It doesn't seem like much, but if the bracket isn't installed square, it could make a difference over the distance of the entire plow "frame". I'm going to check mine tonight. I just bolted it up on the weekend. Didn't notice this detail/part until I was looking at the instructions for the adjustment lever.

• Like 1

ericj

I don't think any of my 8 speed tractors have that on, never had any problems, I seam to remember somebody telling me years ago that it wasn't necessary. may have to revisit it again

eric j 

Rob XC700

I looked at mine tonight. One side against the back (incorrect), the other side against the front as it should be. I guess I will need to adjust it. I think I'll wait until the weekend when I put the blade back on. I'll put the blade on the snowmobile dollies so it moves freely, do a reference measurement, adjust and re-measure. Then we will see if it makes that big of a difference.

elcamino/wheelhorse

I just reread this thread and realized that I don't have the spacer or either of my 8 speed trans. I just put the bracket on 90 degrees to the axle and never had any problems. Lucky I guess.

Racinbob

Nah Jim, I don't think lucky. I just don't see them as necessary. I've used blades for decades and have never owned any of those spacers. :)

Rob XC700

I don't believe they make a big enough difference that anyone would even notice. I'm just a little OCD...lol....

Working as an automotive technician in the past, manufacturers won't typically provide anything that would cost a dime more if it's not necessary.

It's just a small detail to make sure your bolts are against the front of the axle when installing and it's all good.

Tankman
On ‎8‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 9:36 PM, Rob XC700 said:

I looked at mine tonight. One side against the back (incorrect), the other side against the front as it should be. I guess I will need to adjust it. I think I'll wait until the weekend when I put the blade back on. I'll put the blade on the snowmobile dollies so it moves freely, do a reference measurement, adjust and re-measure. Then we will see if it makes that big of a difference.

I'm thinking, Why not just put, say, tubing on the bolts to remove any slack?

Working with Horses since the 70's, never used the parts you speak of. Have seen 'em in drawings, that's 'bout it.  :huh:

Rob XC700

I no longer believe it's a critical item. When I first questioned it, I thought it may be an angle spacer because the axle housing was tapered towards the axle. I didn't think it was, but thought maybe it could be. Obviously it's not.

I thought of the same thing; placing tubing over the bolts. I'm not going to do anything now I know what they are and just make sure the front bolts are against the axle housing. No need to make it complicated.

Now if you were doing a full on restoration, you would need it to make it correct.