Welsh523dxi

Pictures of your 48" deck please

Welsh523dxi

Chaps

I've recently bought a 523dxi (built in 1999, has 467hrs on the clock) with a 48" deck (model number 78448) and a pretty big grass collector.

Trouble is; I'm missing parts to get the deck to actually work (when I bought it all I'd had to travel 5 hours, and once there - there was no time to check it all worked - before making a decision to buy it and just get on home).  

I realise I'm going to have to throw some money at the issue but it would be a big help if you could take some pictures of your decks so I can compare things.  I'm missing the main belt (from the pto to the deck) for a start and I think I'm missing the two wheels that guide it too (that make it turn the 90 degrees from the tractor to the deck.) And I think there's a bar missing too on mine but I'm not sure.  the local Toro dealer isn't the sharpest tool in the shed so hasn't been a big help so far either.....any help gratefully received.  I'm happy to post pictures of mine if that helps?  

Thanks in advance

Rhydian

• Like 1

gwest_ca

Here are the manuals

You should have everything that is in this mower deck parts list

Do you know if the grass collector is model 79310?

Garry

WHX??

:WRS:

Wouldn't hurt to throw up a pic or two, the guys that have one can check it out to see exactly what you might be missing.

Welsh523dxi

Chaps - thanks for your kind replies - I'll get some photos loaded up shortly.

In the meantime - Gary - my grass collector model number is 79451 - it's a beast of a collector (as you're probably well aware).  I've not actually got that running either (altho the tractor has the idle pulleys on the back axle etc etc and the correct hanger at the back too) - does it suck the grass up as you go along?  Or am I missing parts for that too......?!

I think my 523dxi was built in 1999 (judging by the little tags in the engine bay) and  I think the deck, the trailer and the collector were all bought at the same time.  might be wrong though.  Doesn't help things now however - just a bit of background.

All the registration stickers are not present on the tractor - rubbed off?  

She goes well - have been using it to chain harrow the horse school, which she does no problem.   more pictures to follow.

20170816_120242.jpg

20170823_092209.jpg

Welsh523dxi

And a couple more pictures for info - and why not - I've got them to hand etc - no harm etc etc :)

20170823_092155.jpg

I've hit the limit of what I can upload so that's it for the moment.

gwest_ca

78448 is a 48" deck

79451 collector is for a 52" deck

Garry

Welsh523dxi

Thanks Garry - appreciate the pdf's.  

Snowmobileaddict

Congrats on the 5xi.

And welcome to the Toro 5xi Quiet Collector club as well.  Not many folks have these.  I love mine...

Dhk58bN.jpg

I'm not sure you have all the pieces that drive the quiet collector.  On the 48" mower deck, there should be a double-decker pulley underneath that BLACK pulley guard.  Remove that black guard and take a photo of what you have.

You also need a another set of idlers that route the quiet collector accessory drive belt to the rear axle-mounted double decker relay pulley.  Then from there, there is a final belt that goes to the quiet collector fan shaft.

The owner manual and part manual for the Quiet Collector DRIVE KIT can be downloaded for free at this site:

https://lookup3.toro.com/request/request.cfm

Use the following Model and Serial Numbers to get the manuals:

Model Number: 79454
Serial Number: 9900001
Product Name: Quiet Collector Drive Kit, 48" Mower

3321-816.pdf

Here is how it goes on mine:

zKF22Ri.jpg

kJRb3w6.jpg

Edited by Snowmobileaddict

Welsh523dxi

Snowmobileaddict

Thanks very much for your comprehensive reply!  And yes, loving the 523dxi/quiet collector set up.  Yours is how I hope to eventually get mine.  Would love a front loader shovel too but they are rare in the uk and I imagine, v expensive too!

I'm definitely missing the quiet collector drivers (the triangular attachment on the deck and the belt.  I've got the idle pulleys on the back axle and the pulley under the collector of course.

Welsh523dxi

So just a quick update on this.  The total amount to get the deck to work with the tractor, excluding the bits needed to get the quiet collector going aswell, comes to £515 including VAT (purchase tax in the UK).  

Which didn't exactly fill me with early christmas cheer it has to be said.  (v early xmas cheer tbf) 

At the same time, however, I was whatsapping the agent that had sold me the tractor on behalf of the owner whilst they were away on holiday. As soon as they got back they went and had a look for the bits that were missing and hey presto - they found them.  

It's hard to tell exactly what is there (everything for the deck and quiet collector to run or just the deck) but whatever they send will significantly reduce my outlay so that's good.

Great result in fact.

Separately - Can I not just buy a belt that meets Toro's width and design, not necessarily from toro, to replace?  As long I get the correct v shaped belt (length/shape/tensile strength) then it won't matter it's not Toro OE will it?  

There's a big difference in prices for non OE belts that's all.

Welsh523dxi

Here's a picture of the parts they've found and are sending me.  Doesn't look like the quiet collector things are there but I'm prepared to take the hit on those - you  can't have everything I guess.

Rhyd

mower parts .jpg

Welsh523dxi

Chaps

Do I have to go down the official Toro spares route for the drive belts or can I buy alternatives?  

shallowwatersailor
4 hours ago, Welsh523dxi said:

Chaps

Do I have to go down the official Toro spares route for the drive belts or can I buy alternatives?  

Given the situation, I believe that you could get by with an alternative belt. I know that I paid about $55.00 USD for my belt to fit my 48" deck about three years ago. And we don't have a VAT! Wheel Horse did have a different profile for their belts but I am not sure if Toro maintained that with the 5xi series of tractors.

Welsh523dxi

Thanks ShallowWS - appreciate it - going to have a look at the manuals and see if they give a belt spec that I can research.  Thanks once again, Rhyd

gwest_ca
On ‎2017‎-‎08‎-‎23 at 4:32 AM, Welsh523dxi said:

20170816_120242.jpg

20170823_092209.jpg

Noticed your lift frame is not lined up with the deck. Then I see the left side leveler arm is adjustable for length and different from the right. Left side red and right side black. Sure enough the right side black pieces are part of the 79454 drive kit.

Garry

Welsh523dxi
4 minutes ago, gwest_ca said:

Noticed your lift frame is not lined up with the deck. Then I see the left side leveler arm is adjustable and different from the right. Left side red and right side black. Sure enough the right side black pieces are part of the 79454 drive kit.

Garry

Which means what Garry?  Do I need to change some of the parts?  or could it have something to do with the quiet collector perhaps?  Interested to understand your thoughts.

Truth be told - I think it's taken an absolute hammering in the previous owner's hands.  I think he broke something (the quiet collector bits that attach to the deck) whilst using it; then sold it with all the bits separated ('so I can have a good look at everything').  I'd driven 250 miles to see the tractor and wasn't in a position to put it all together (it's complicated - the tractor and everything was situated on a building site and the builders wanted to lock up about an hour after I'd arrived).  

gwest_ca

It looks like the left side bar is put together using the wrong holes making it too short but I could be wrong. There are 4 holes in the bars for adjustment.

Sounds like they needed to raise the right hardware so the collector drive belt would clear it. They moved the right bar to the left side and supplied new modified bars for the right.

It may be just the way the bars are sitting at rest. The round bars at the rear are not parallel in the photo but the left side may be higher making it appear misaligned.

My lefts and rights are from the operators position.

Garry

Welsh523dxi

Ah. Ok.  I haven't offered the deck (now that I've got the other bits for it) up to the tractor yet.  I'm still working on getting a drive belt for the mower deck.  I'm not worrying about the quiet collector just yet as it's v wet here (as usual - one dry day = spring, two dry days = summer, a week of dry days = panic  - in Pembrokeshire!!) so I'd just like to get the tractor mowing first and we'll worry about the collector second.  

I'll offer everything up to the tractor over the next couple of weeks - it's half term here so we're seeing family elsewhere in the UK so I've no time to work on the tractor soon.  But I will in early november.  I'm going to order a belt and try and get things working.  The belt is just shy of $100 (inc local taxes) here so just looking into alternatives before I take the plunge.  It's a big commitment (especially if I need further parts on top).

I'll take pictures and upload them. 

Separately I'm going to clean up and rust -protect the deck (rust converter, then 2 or 3 coats of metal paint).  Anything to try to protect her.

Eglijim

Hi , Don't know if you got fixed up with belts but have always found the staff at " Bearing Boys" to be very helpful in sourcing belts  and very reasonably priced.  

Have just about given up on trying to find a replacement 52" deck for my 520xi so we are about to try to fit a brand new 54" Deere 54c  deck by swapping the lift brackets

Welsh523dxi

Egli - nope; I've sent an email to V belts (in Sioux falls in the US) so hopefully they'll come back to me once they're up (major time difference!) but I'll have a look at the Bearing Boys too.  Does the John Deere 54c drive off the front pto too?  Or is it a case of 'we're going to make it drive off the front!' with swapping the brackets :)

Egli - thanks for that - didn't realise bearing boys are in the UK (Newport from the looks of the telephone number!)

Thanks chap,

Rhyd

Not newport - norfolk!  

Eglijim
7 hours ago, Welsh523dxi said:

Egli - nope; I've sent an email to V belts (in Sioux falls in the US) so hopefully they'll come back to me once they're up (major time difference!) but I'll have a look at the Bearing Boys too.  Does the John Deere 54c drive off the front pto too?  Or is it a case of 'we're going to make it drive off the front!' with swapping the brackets :)

Egli - thanks for that - didn't realise bearing boys are in the UK (Newport from the looks of the telephone number!)

Thanks chap,

Rhyd

Not newport - norfolk!  

Hi, Bearing Boys are UK and speak plain English if you give them  a ring.   The Deere deck was new old stock and seems to be fitted to several different mowers in the Deere range . Some have a PTO drive  or an idler at the rear with a double pulley.

The intention is to put the double pulley on the front shaft as  on the 5 xi and drive as normal. Intend to see if we can  modify the mounts to hang on the xi without destroying my old deck ?.

IMG_20170509_103951915 (1).jpg

IMG_20171017_120004873 (1).jpg