Mal(Pa)

Rains

Mal(Pa)

Well guys,I'm back. I've been busy trying to keep my gravel driveway from washing out to no avail. Washed out 4 times already.Trying to keep the drainage ditch open but with each rain, it fills in and water goes down the driveway along with"of coarse" the gravel. The amount of water in these downpours lately is amazing then it was every afternoon for I don't know how long.Thanks for letting me vent guys as I'm sure most have had these kind of things happen.     :(   Mal

• Sad 1

AMC RULES

While maintaining over 70 miles of range roads at work....

keeping material in place is one of my specialties.

Post up a pict here, let's see what your working with.  

• Like 6

Mal(Pa)
12 minutes ago, AMC RULES said:

While maintaining over 70 miles of range roads at work....

keeping material in place is one of my specialties.

Post up a pict here, let's see what your working with.  

Ok,you got me.Ha  Ha  I'm just 1 old guy with a shovel, a hoe, and a tractor with a 7 ft back blade working against gravity and mother nature on a 150 ft drive way slanted toward the ditch. :rolleyes:  Mal

AMC RULES

You got a back hoe there to change it's pitch...

lower the grade, on the high side of the drive way(side farthest from the ditch)

Even a slight change in elevation here, will have a dramatic effect on the speed of the water entering your ditch. 

Slows it down, & will really help your material stay put. 

• Like 1

SylvanLakeWH

Depending on the grade, small periodic rip rap dams (old broken concrete) placed across the ditch will also help slow it down. Water will pool behind as it makes its way through the gaps in the dams...Could also line the ditch with 1"-3" broken stone. It will keep base of ditch from eroding and slow it down...

Pic would help!

:twocents-02cents:

c-series don

I've been operating a road grader for 25 years. One thing I've learned is that the sooner you can get the water off the road, the less washouts and potholes you will have. I actually dealt with this issue today! If water is allowed to accumulate, especially down a steep grade gravel road washouts are almost inevitable. 

• Like 1

953 nut

:twocents-02cents:  If you could cut the center of the travel lane down and fill it with rip rap and have the tire tracks pitched slightly toward the center it should direct and slow the water. May need to have an occasional drain line to divert the water to the drainage ditch.

• Like 1