Skipper

Need advise on freight in the US

stevasaurus

@ztnoo, you are correct.  Derek and a friend of his are the ones helping Tom with this adventure.  The main issue Tom had was finding a place to leave the container while he picked up all the stuff to fill it.  Most of the horse stuff came from east of Lake Michigan, so it just made sense to find a place on that side of the lake.  My part in it was knowing and finding people that wanted to sell things Tom was looking for, and getting them together.  I hope Tom comes in here and tells the whole story at some point.  :occasion-xmas:      @Skipper

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1

ztnoo

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/profile/818-stevasaurus/

Fascinating deal. Lots of coordination involved.

If Tom or any Euro member wanted to pull something like this off again, the entire RS community needs to have much more awareness and information in the planning scheme.

There is absolutely tons of WH stuff here that guys aren't using or is being argued and bantered over that some of the Euro crowd would absolutely kill for.

Wheel Horse free trade with an international flavor.

Maybe you UK guys could learn something by this Danish adventure.

?

59fb9461444e4_Danishflag.gif.2c14cb3867af7be79e845115f20fc314.gif

Edited by ztnoo
  • Excellent 1

Skipper

Thank you for all the nice comments to all of you. :-)

Let me start this off by thanking the people who helped make this a reality. Steve, bob, Tom (the original one), Joe, John, Derek and last but not least, Kyle. Without each and every one of your contributions to make this thing work, it would not have happened. A better bunch of good people is hard to come by!

Also a longer list of people from this forum and beyond has had a role to play, even though more indirect.

To all of you!  Thanks for trusting me! Thanks for helping me out! I truly treasure your efforts and trust in me very much, and among you, I now count a number of new friends.

Ztnoo: Well your comment about bigger awareness, is right down the sore spot of this adventure. Not that this should turn into a rant, or an overly negative thing, but you hit a nerve. The big issues in making this thing happen found a solution because a number of people decided to trust in me, and I in them. But trust was also the biggest missing ingredient from so so many people that could have sold tractors or parts to me. To be honest, I have had the idea of dropping the whole deal many times, because of that trust hurdle. I have been treated rude, obnoxiously bad, and down right like a criminal by people both well known on this forum, and elsewhere. This happened again and again, when approaching them to buy a tractor, or parts. I Just don't get it. I'm not a Nigerian scam artist trying to steal your last mule drives and what not.:wacko:

My only hope and last comment to this dark spot in this otherwise good adventure is, that I hope that my interaction with those who did trust me, will rub off on the others. That would indeed make it a lot easier for an eventual next time.

So back to the positive side of things :-)

This whole thing started with me trying to chase down one horse for my self. Hard to come by for sure, and then facing the ridiculous shipping and what not costs of a single tractor, made it tough. The idea formed bit by bit, and I ended up with a shipping solution that was relatively not that much more, and the costs spread over roughly 30 tractors, 2/3 of which are wheel horses. I will of cause keep a few for my self, but the wast majority will find new homes in Denmark and northern Europe. Some needs a whole lot of work, and basically is just a bunch of parts waiting to be put together, while others are in better nick. I sure know what this winters dark evenings will be used on.

I will do a few restorations and custom builds, and I will put build threads up when time comes.

Should anyone want to buy a tractor, implement or parts, then please do not hesitate to contact me.

Thanks

Thomas     :USA:

Edited by Skipper
  • Like 4
  • Excellent 1

Sarge

Gotta love it when a plan comes together - it takes a phenomenal amount of leg work to move that many tractors overseas and keep the cost at least somewhat reasonable . I get why people are so intimidated about dealing with overseas buyers - there are so many scammers out there these days that it's gotten tough to sell anything to anyone - or buy from the other direction . I quit working on Weber carbs when I lost 2 European suppliers that I trusted - everyone else I tried to deal with either wanted to rip me off or wouldn't even deal with someone in the US . Craigslist and other sites have become so polluted with scammers it's almost not worth dealing with it at all - seems much of the market we're interested in has moved to Facebook sale groups and the like - but those have their share of bad people as well that lack the honesty needed . It's become a necessity to get straight cash in hand if you're selling something - there is no other trusted method to insure not being scammed or cheated in the end .

This forum has some of the best folks I've ever known - right up there with the Land Cruiser community which is a pretty high bar . It's too bad some were rude , that is not generally how anyone is treated here and we take that pretty seriously - this site is a friendly place and rarely has any serious arguments . They do happen on occasion and the moderators handle things amazingly well in a professional manner - it is so refreshing compared to other forums . Off-site sales transactions are between the buyer and seller - the forum can't arbitrate that but generally everyone gets along just fine in an honest manner . Problems can happen and most times it's just a misunderstanding of some sort - but I will say that is actually pretty rare here .

One thing that can hold you back on any forum/group is a lack of history with them or time spent with the group - you have to build a trust with everyone and from there it becomes easy to deal with them . Being someone new is tougher as it takes a lot more to trust someone that has just appeared on the site and may go away just as quickly . Not an excuse , but that's how I see a lack of trust can be formed to someone with a lesser known history .

Just an opinion - glad to hear it all worked out and really looking forward to your build threads - congrats !

Sarge

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Skipper

Thanks, and don't worry about it. I totally agree with you on all you are saying, and all those points was the first I told people was in the clear, but still got treated like an alien. I mean, why should I be a bigger crook than your neighbor, just because I am a bit further down the street.

I'm not trying to slander anyone or anything like it, just laying the cards of this game on the table.

It is just not quite gotten thru to me that the world apparently has changed that much :-). I'm still of the old school where a word is something you do not break. That may also be why I take it personal when some people did not even want to give me a chance. BUT.... Luckily a good bunch did, and that's all that matter. 

I intend to stick around, and that will hopefully also make it easier the next time over, should that happen.

I also fully agree with you that this forum is special, and that is only due to the people here, so duly noted. Most are really nice people.

Lets close that part of the story down on these words, and look positive into the future from this point on.

• Like 3

stevasaurus

Skipper, it was a pleasure to get to meet you and your family.  While I did not get to run around with you and pick up horses, I did get to spend a little time.  I'm sorry that you ran into some of what you are saying...it is not really like us to be rude.  That said...when do expect to receive the container.  I sure hope that you will post a ton of pictures when you open it up and start to unload it.  I, for one, would sure like to see all that you scored over here.  It was a very huge undertaking in a short period of time.  I know you met some of the best of us while you were here.  :occasion-xmas:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Skipper

It was really nice meeting you too Steve, and yes, it was a hectic few days. But as you say, I had good help ;-) and made good friends too, so all is good.

Yes I will do some pics etc when it arrives. Hopefully it has not been spilled, or tipped upside down. It should arrive before Christmas, so I am making space for it all, and trying to prepare as much as I can.

• Like 4