Skipper

Need advise on freight in the US

Skipper

Hi

I had asked a freight company about pricing on getting a tractor shipped to europe as LCL freight. They came back with a price of 1400USD from new york to denmark. That's rediculous considering a full 20 foot container can be had for around 1000-1200USD.

So, that sinks my hopes for finding a tractor in the US and sending it home, untill I find another solution.

What I hope some of you could be helpfull with, is steering me to a honest shipping company, or combination of companies, in the US.

I need them to do as follows:

- Transport the tractor from the US based seller to the northern eastcoast.

- Store it there, untill everything I need to get home at the same time has arrived.

- Put it in a container as LCL or full 20 footer, do the paperwork, and get it shipped to me.

- This without robbing me blind :-)

Any insight will be greatly appreciated

Thanks

• Like 1

GlenPettit

About 12 years ago I worked with (Ole Skou in Kondrup, DK), his Company shipped items over here in containers (Nickleson tools) and the containers returned to Denmark empty.  He had a friend in Maryland receive, collect and store Wheel Horses until they had a container full, then his friend put them all in one container, secured them, then this container was shipped back to Denmark where they paid the import fee for these tractors.   There was a handling fee for the extra weight, a few hundred, but I understood that that was all until the import fee.  There are a lot of Wheel Horses in Denmark (and was a Wheel Horse clubhouse which burned in '05), unfortunately some of the Wheel Horses are being used as pullers and racers.    (Google: Wheel Horse, tractor racing, in Denmark - + you tube).    also for the club, try:   http.//web.archive.org/web/*wheelhorse.dk  too old.

Edited by GlenPettit
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Skipper

That would be a sweet setup. Unfortunately I do not have any freinds in the US with space to spare for storage and a container.

Should someone want to undertake that roll in the US for me, I would gladly pay a penny or two for it ;-)

And yes, many of the horses here are either worked to death, or used for pulling. Sadly.............My wish is to have something worth preserving.

Edited by Skipper
  • Thanks 1

stevasaurus

Skipper... @Lars  @C-101plowerpower and a few other guys have shipped tractors from the states across the pond.  If they see this, they might be able to help you out.  Lars is in Norway...Koen is in the Neitherlands.  Just need the right information.  :)

• Like 2

Skipper

Yes!

I'm not too worried about the seafreight. That is doable. But to me the big mystery is the inland transportation system in the US.

Here we have a few companies trucking around the country all day long, picking things up here, and delivering them there. It is not a coureer service per say, as they use hubs, and ship it over a day or two. And the prices are relatively OK. Was also hoping there might be an equiavalent to that stateside. (sure there is, just do not know how to find it)

Most shipping agents will likely use them to get stuff to the container terminals.

Edited by Skipper

stevasaurus

I think Lars used a place in Tennessee, that one of the members (inactive now) collected the parts and crated them...delivered them and the Tennessee shipper took them to the coast and shipped them to Norway.  We have a thread about that (about 3 or 4 years ago now) where all this happened.

It might help, if you let us know all the stuff you are trying to put together and where you are finding it.  You may have to ship all that stuff to a member, who has to crate this and deliver it to a shipper.  You will probably not get any volunteers unless they know exactly what they are getting into.  This will work, we have done this before for people across the pond.  Shipping stuff over seas is never easy, I have shipped enough stuff over there to know that, but you can get through it if you do the paper work, the ship is not captured or sunk and global warming has not sunk the port you are shipping from.  Other then that....Piece of Cake!!  :occasion-xmas:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Skipper

OK :-)

I will try to make a list of things and post it here. 

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

CasualObserver

Here's the topic that Steve mentioned.... it was fun to watch this happen. Sadly, the member @Rooster hasn't been on the forum in nearly 3 years.... don't know whatever happened to him.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

stevasaurus

Thanks for finding that Jason...Rooster had some medical issues that were pretty bad.  I have not heard how he is doing in a couple of years.  I hope he is OK.  Excellent people.  :)

• Like 1

Skipper

First off, I would like to say thank you to every one of you. You are so kind and helpful. It truly is amassing! What you pulled off for Lars was just astonishing.

Now to the business end of things. From my short time on this forum, i have narrowed my wandering in many directions to find out what kind of horse is really me, into what I would wish for the most. It is perhaps not the easiest of tasks, but the end outcome would to me be the highest pinnacle of Wheel Horse.

Here goes, and please do not laugh. I know it's a tall order :-)

C-195 hydro

Rear 3pt.

Rear PTO

60" deck, perhaps from 520H

Rear 3pt. tiller, preferably a 50"

Steering upgrade from 520H

2 Spare parts tractors in working condition. Preferably with decks and other attachments. Then I will use whats left over to make a daily work horse too, and put some spare parts on the shelve for future use.

I know the rear 3pt is rare, and I know the Rear PTO is super rare. If it is not possible to find this, I'm hoping someone can be helpfull with detailed pictures, drawings, info and measurements. I have access to 3D scanning, printing, and casting of small series, so reverse engineering and reproduction could also be an option.

Now this being a tall order, I will promise you all this. Should it be possible to pull this off, I will make a show room Restoration of it. It will be treated as royalty, and all will be documented in a detailed build thread. Furthermore, should there be any reproduction items made from this, I will make it a priority to make it available so others could also benefit from it.

I will gladly fly over and do the crating etc, and I will gladly compensate those who will put parts and tractors up for sale, or R&D work, or in any other way contribute to this, in a fair way. I'm not looking for a free meal, and I will contribute back to this great forum. On that you have my word, and on that I have newer gone back :-)

@STEVE: Being new here, I'm not sure how to throw this up in the air, or if it is viable at all. Will you guide me? Others are welcome to chime in of cause, but Steve stuck his head out first, and that's always dangerous :D

Edited by Skipper
  • Like 1

drewd

There are companies such as Echo in Chicago that handle LTL shipments inside the US on a bid bases.  You would need the tractor palletized, strapped and wrapped to protect it and it could be handled in the freight terminals.  Also, the weight and dimensions. You let them know where it's going and they send request out to truckers needed another pallet to that destination.  They then would send you the quote.  You would need to look up the freight class for the trucker and the harmonized code for exporting/importing.  You should be able to look these up on line. I would make sure it was well secured before shipping it anywhere!  A local company that ships LTL could help you with this for a reasonable fee and it would be all set for the container as well.  Do not have a trucking company prepare the skid.  You'll be disappointed!

• Like 2

stevasaurus

Skipper, that is quite the list you have there.  Have you managed to locate anything as of yet??  I would think I would kind of work backwards.  !st, find the company that would ship the create or container to Denmark.  That will tell you where the things on your list need to be delivered in the states.  Try to find the things on your list as close as possible to where it is shipped from.  I am thinking this could take some time to accomplish.  :think:  :occasion-xmas:

• Like 1

Skipper

No I haven't found the right tractors, yet, and all searching for a rear pto comes up empty.

I'm hoping someone sees this and has one laying around, or knows where there might be one.

I would be happy just to get info/data on one. Then I could reproduce it from scratch.

Every one who has any idea of where to dig up these things, I would like to hear from.

Thanks in advance for any and all help :thanks:

The search goes on :-)

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Well let's do the Skype thing tomorrow and see about turning this up a notch.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Well Skipper (Tom) and his family finally showed up at my Mom's house yesterday...along with Tom Cornford.  They have been very busy horse russeling in the Mid West.  They showed up with 2 large trailers full of Wheel Horses that are headed to Denmark.  He got my 1972 Raider 10 with a tiller.  Here are a few pictures.  It was very nice to meet Tom and his family...nice to see my friend Tom Cornford again also.  :occasion-xmas:

tieing down the Raider 10

DSCF8865.JPG

Tom and family

DSCF8866.JPG

DSCF8867.JPG

DSCF8868.JPG

DSCF8869.JPG

• Like 6
  • Excellent 1

ztnoo

WOW!!! That is what I call a real load!!!

Amazing!

• Like 1

richmondred01

Holy cow. What a haul and a smiling wife. You are a lucky man. 

• Thanks 1

JimmyJam

Well, shipping costs r shipping. Becoming more costly nowadays is not like it use 2 b!

• Like 1

GlenPettit

Love to see even more pictures in time:  loading up the containers, securing them in there, the dock,  and then when they get to Denmark and where they may be going.   I really enjoy seeing the building & insides over there, new owners, the Danish countryside, homes, farms, workshops, tools and their new horses working . . .  keep 'em coming g hopefully . . .

Glen

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

ztnoo

Is this the same shipment Derek Workman of Plymouth, IN is working on?

I saw some pics posted yesterday on Wheel Horse Junkies FB page of a shipping container loaded for shipment to Denmark.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10155216220917545&set=pcb.10154890477315952&type=3&ifg=1

Skipper, is this your deal being put together??

23031170_10155216220917545_4338778585106

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Racinbob

That would be the one. :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ztnoo

Racinbob,

Did you have a hand in this at all, or just watched from the sidelines?

Racinbob

No. Steve, Tom and I Skyped once but that's the only contact I had.

• Thanks 1

ztnoo

That's quite a project and undertaking, not to mention a financial commitment.

Tom must really need tractors and implements in Denmark!!!

I'm kinda curious about the customs fees on his end and all the government paperwork that will get shuffled around there.

Quite an adventure, I must say....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Racinbob

It's my understanding that they are definitely hard to come by across the pond and parts are at a premium. Hopefully Tom got what he personally wanted and this all works out for him. :)

• Thanks 2