mikeeyre74

522xi not going full speed

mikeeyre74

In the continuing saga of getting this 522 going, I think I have it all buttoned up now after cleaning out the carburetor, changing all the fluids everywhere, screens, filters, everything.   The GPS on my phone says that it flickers between 5 and 6 mph wide-open on a flat Road.  I went through the machine after reading some stuff here and found a little bit of play in the motion control stuff, and one pretty loose nut and bolt which I tightened up.   It made a difference in the "feel" of the thing, but not the top speed.  Is there something I am overlooking? 

WVHillbilly520H

About the only point where it makes up most of the travel speed is the linkage from the foot pedal to the hydro cam behind the right rear tire, there is some adjustment along there as I did that to the 520xi I let go this spring I know it was faster after I did some linkage/cam adjustments (a little a a time test repeat till I got what I felt was right) vs when I brought it home but by how much I can't say for certain, Jeff.

doc724

As WVHillbilly said, behind the right rear wheel you will find an access port and behind that there is a hex nut.  The hex nut is a cam and it adjusts forward/rearward speed.  Pull the owners or service manual from Toro site and it will you how to adjust this.  Mine was just like yours, after I adjusted it the forward speed was on spec at 7.5 mph.  Your phone GPS may or may not be accurate enough as (I think) those signals come from cell towers-not sure.  If you have a portable garmin use that.  I used a garmin bicycle gps which is accurate to about 35 feet.

• Excellent 1

mikeeyre74

I've already been through the neutral adjustment because I had a rear creep issue upon getting this machine. It is set now so that it will stay still while in "drive".  I suppose I could move the adjustment cam a little bit more towards the forward direction, but… Reverse is about 3 mph the way it's set up now,  according to the GPS. That's where it's supposed to be. Do you think it's that finicky?  

doc724

If you have adjusted it so that the neutral creep is gone and there is not a lot of lost motion in the pedal to control cam, then you probably have it as fast as it can go.  One thing you could try is jack up the rear so the wheels are off the ground and disconnect the link to the control cam and then move it by hand.  The rear wheels will spin (opposite directions) and you would have to make a judgement if the spinning is faster than with the linkage connected (unless you have an adjustable strobe light).  I think the ball rod ends on the linkage are threaded so there is some adjustment.  I just pulled the service manual, forward speed is 7.4 max, reverse is 3.4 max (both in high range)