69 fury

520h rear hub removal

69 fury

looks like i can tap it with a hammer.also do i tap it back on?

N3PUY

If you only "TAP" it you should be OK.   BUT if you "HIT" it you may knock the snap ring off inside the transmission.  :snooty:

The hub, when cleaned up along with the axle, should slide on easily.  :greetings-clappingyellow:

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

WHX??

No don't do that get a BFH and give it a real good wack.... no just kidding :ychain: are we trying to take it off or put it back on? Since your title is removal I guess you are trying to get it off. By tapping I would say ok ..use lots of juice (lubricant) of some type but very small taps. Puller is still the prefered method. Might be able to do it with a 2 or 3 jaw if it's already loose. You do NOT Want to break that c clip that holds the axle in. Feel it out, if is does not moving right do not force it. Get out the puller.

Edited by WHX12
Speeling
  • Like 4

69 fury

ok thanks i will tap it a little and use PB BLASTER

Searcher60

Tap can be defined many ways. Get a puller to take it off, clean up the axle and hub to put it back on. Use never seize so it comes off easy the next time. 

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

WHX??
2 hours ago, Searcher60 said:

Tap can be defined many ways

Searcher is right ...probably just as well to avoid the taps, those retaining clips inside can get brittle,  best go right to a puller,  get yourself a hub that is shot and make one. You'll more than likely use it again.

couple of examples here... @Aldon's is the bomb!

• Thanks 1

Searcher60

Harbor freight. Three jaw is best. Go to advance and rent?  These hubs can be very difficult to get off the axle. They require patience, a good puller, the right amount of heat. Not to much heat.  The do not just jump off into your hand with the best of pullers. 

Edited by Searcher60