Big_Red_Fred

Mixed WH Feelings

Big_Red_Fred

I made a comment to a Few collectors about me traveling to NY, getting a Great Condition C175 for 400.00, Sum say its not worth it ? Sum say it is ? What would you rather have ? A 520H or a C175, start off with a 520 since they are the most popular . Which 1 did they make less of ? Or should i go after a Local SK486 for 650.00 ? Lets hear your thoughts Members, Red Fred

• Like 1

Sparky

I won't tell you what to buy, that's just personal preference. But I will ask...what's your plans for your next tractor purchase? Worker? Restored show machine? Something to putt around shows with? Maybe to flip for a profit? Just want the number of tractors you own to go up by 1?

Both those tractors (all tractors actually) have their pro's and con's.

Figure out why your buying it and your desision might be easier.

Mike....

• Like 9

Big_Red_Fred

LOL, i drove tractor trailer 13 years, know all about NYorker's, @rjg854 Heck they invited me to dinner hahaha, long lane, to a old wooden shack in the middle of Conesus NY

@Sparky Just wanting to add to my black hood line up, Have the 125 & 165A

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

AMC RULES

:text-yeahthat:   Reply #3     :text-+1:

giphy.gif.26424a703132f6d375c30008bbb15fea.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

Sparky
2 minutes ago, Big_Red_Fred said:

@Sparky Just wanting to add to my black hood line up, Have the 125 & 165A

Well there ya go! You just answered your own question. 

Mike....

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

ACman

Sparky has a good point . Lately my emphasis has been on clean original one/two owner tractors and I try to buy them right. I know sometime in the near future I'll have to onload them and hopefully for a profit . If the C175 is in the shape they say it's in , that's where I'd put my money . Just my  :twocents-02cents: .

• Like 6

Big_Red_Fred

I Looked in my Ed camara cell but i must have deleted the dang thing, Looked a little cloudy, tho Ericj saw it , he said the engines are noted for blowing up, but he also said it was in nice condition

Big_Red_Fred

@AMC RULES You made me laugh so hard i fell off my chair ole buddy, heres the picIMG_03431.jpg.45f55b4612c3fe54167c858d3502ce0c.jpg

4 minutes ago, Big_Red_Fred said:

@AMC RULES You made me laugh so hard i fell off my chair ole buddy, heres the picIMG_03431.jpg.45f55b4612c3fe54167c858d3502ce0c.jpg

That 1 has a better seat ;-) 

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

boovuc

Big_Red_Fred,

Knowing what I know now and knowing that I actually work my tractors, I like the C-175. BUT.BUTT! Big BUTT!

For all the failings and knocks on the Onan powered WH tractors, the C175 has a BIG issue with the Series 1 Kohler. (The Series II is great). Both are points ignition verses electronic sparks. The C175 Auto has an earlier version of the Eaton 11/1100.

So a C175 AUTO powered by a Series II Kohler KT17 gives you a very modern tractor comparable to a 520H minus 3 HP and forward assist steering.

My Series I runs long in the tooth and forever on flat ground. Amen

009.JPG

• Like 5

squonk
8 hours ago, rjg854 said:

I'd say stay local, NY is a terrible place to buy :wh: tractors.  We have bad roads and big taxes. Down staters don't like horse rustlers. So you need to have to worry about that when you're in state and have out of state plates.  :text-imsorry:  :ychain:

He's right about the roads. He's driven on my streets! :auto-swerve:

Edited by squonk
  • Like 4

Searcher60

I still like the Onan power. I have both Kohler and Onan. Opposed twin with pressurized lubrication and oil filter is superior. The 520H is king of the hill. After the years pile up, there are going to be issues on any piece of equipment. With the 520H, it's lack of maintenance created problems, 9-pin connector and ground problems. And sometimes things are just plain worn out. Never buy any worker horse without a deck in good condition. Just walk away without the deck, unless you already have a deck.

• Like 3

WHX??
13 hours ago, Big_Red_Fred said:

What would you rather have ? A 520H or a C175,

Just go git both and be done with it! :)

• Like 5
  • Excellent 1

TDF5G

I don't know how far it is for you to go get the tractor but you should buy it if you like it and want it.  That's all there is to it.  If it's worth $400 to you, that's all that matters IMO, not what other guys think.   :)  You can't go wrong with a :wh: whatever model it is! :D

Those guys might be trying to talk you out of it so they can go rustle it for themselves!  :o

We're all in this :wh: thing for different reasons, but one thing we all share is a love for 'em! 

Edited by TDF5G
  • Like 4
  • Excellent 3

Racinbob

Nobody is giving the nod to the SK486 you mentioned. Not that it's any better than the other two but there's just something about the models they made to use up leftover stock. :)

• Like 4

Big_Red_Fred

A few said the SK is still a little high in price, i think they would flip it 1st, understandable, its a 1 owner Tractor, I look at it this way, Ya can never just have 1, When i'm gone , my Oldest in my Pictures gets them all, he has 5 at his place, & uses them all for work, I was shocked when he said no Green Wienies ! JD that is LOL I will post a Parade of him, 3 kids & 1 on way & his Gal riding them, He has a large spread of land in mountains of Pa

I will display all the black hoods soon on here, Ericj called, hes at a show in york, said bring lots of Money hahaha, he has a boat load of horses there, He said buy his 520, no more black hoods LOL, he has a C195 there too, Now i spilled my Geritol ;-)

• Like 4

Electro12WH
11 hours ago, Racinbob said:

Nobody is giving the nod to the SK486 you mentioned. Not that it's any better than the other two but there's just something about the models they made to use up leftover stock. :)

What about that 10 something, something that has carry over parts and is a rare collectors item?

ACman
12 minutes ago, Electro12WH said:

What about that 10 something, something that has carry over parts and is a rare collectors item?

A 1045 Big Block short frame square hood with round fenders ? Here's a pic of @Amcwheel85's tractor.  Yes that a great one too but they all have there special place .

IMG_2218.JPG.8c1f0eda11584b2228a69d48e79f04da.JPG

• Like 6

Big_Red_Fred

Now that's sweet ACman, the C175 fell thru, i emailed them for a number to call, they said NO, we had sum words over internet, Just goes to show you, Stay away from New York Period hahahaha, that will get sum attention:violence-blades:

SK486 bound

• Like 4

ACman

Heck there's nothing wrong with that ... use that Fred charm and talk him down . You know pull the grandkids card or a little persuasion if you know what I mean . :lol:

• Like 4

Big_Red_Fred

How's a 314-8 Gold Anniversary sound in stead of the C175 ? 500.00 out the door, Mint condition, Ericj seen it on Clist

WVHillbilly520H
33 minutes ago, Big_Red_Fred said:

How's a 314-8 Gold Anniversary sound in stead of the C175 ? 500.00 out the door, Mint condition, Ericj seen it on Clist

Better grab it, Jeff.

• Like 1

Big_Red_Fred

It will be on here Saturday, he claims he's holding it ? That wont see no dirt, take battery out & put away till next big show. @WVHillbilly520H

• Like 2

WVHillbilly520H
2 minutes ago, Big_Red_Fred said:

It will be on here Saturday, he claims he's holding it ? That wont see no dirt, take battery out & put away till next big show. @WVHillbilly520H

Here's my Anniversary 520H I bought new in 1998 when she still looked mostly new, Good luck with the new acquisition, Jeff.

100_0460.JPG

• Like 5