Ironman

D250 Front PTO belts

Ironman

Could someone please tell me the size of the front/mid pto belts for the D250? I'm having a heck of a time trying to match one up. Thanks

gwest_ca

If it is belt #251886 listed for 1978-1981

13mm x 975mm

1/2" x 38.4"

Gates does not list a replacement.

You will most likely have to choose between a 1/2" x 38" and 1/2" x 39".

Garry

Adding

Gates make a wrapped belt 1/2" x 38-3/4" in their Blade Runner line part number 6565BR

• Like 1

Marv

This may just confuse the issue. The Guttbrod part number is 000 75 734. In inches the belt is 1/2 wide by 39 7/8 long outside measurements.

Marv

gwest_ca

Have been looking at the different model years of D-250 and discover the belts changed - they are year specific. More checking to do.

Garry

• Like 1

gwest_ca
12 hours ago, gwest_ca said:

1978-1981 Pto belts 251886 - Matched pair required

13mm x 975mm

1/2" x 38.4"

Gates does not list a replacement.

You will most likely have to choose between a 1/2" x 38" and 1/2" x 39".

Garry

Adding

Gates make a wrapped belt 1/2" x 38-3/4" in their Blade Runner line part number 6565BR

1976-1977 Pto belts - Matched pair required

250105 - 12.5mm x 1025mm - 1/2" x 40-3/8" (Gates list a 6840 - 1/2" x 40")

The Guttbrod part number is 000 75 734. In inches the belt is 1/2 wide by 39 7/8 long outside measurements

Garry

• Like 1

Ironman

Mine is a 78 model. What i did originally was cut a long belt to the size i thought it needed to be. When i got home with the belts they gave me they were way too loose. I then noticed they gave me 3/8 wide belts when the one i measured with was 1/2".  I now switched the 3/8 for 1/2 but still need to try them. The ones they gave me are 40 1/8. I will try the 39 7/8 if they dont fit. Thanks Guys... 

Onmytractor

Any update on what you landed on?

peter lena

@Ironman  just to me curious / same related spot , how do those pulleys move / sound / feel ? the collective drag on that drive set up will eat belts and related clutch drive set up . just about every related wheel horse I  have looked at has rough / noisy bearings , trying to move it is like dragging a sled . opportunity , pete

Onmytractor

Pete, my front end loader always made a nasty screech when engaged. Just pulled out to warm it up for spring and the belt was eaten up on about 6 of the teeth. Since the belts are no longer provided by toro I’m wondering what the OP found as the best alternative.

image.jpg

Edited by Onmytractor
Read and researched more info provided in the thread. Many thanks.
  • Like 1

Onmytractor

So I used a 1/2x40 v belt to try and power the ark loader and it didn’t have enough grip on it to move anything. The 39” belt was way too tight and could not be disengaged. I left the 39” belt on there to drive my t posts in but if you’re going to do this remember to never engage your mid pto break, it won’t be able to hold the crankshaft and will just burn as it tries to hold the pto pulley. 

I finally ordered some adjustable belts from Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/Adjustable-V-Belt-Lathes-Woodworking-Tools/dp/B07Y7Y3Q7W/ref=asc_df_B07Y7Y3Q7W/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=416925996615&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=14086984520148568459&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9003055&hvtargid=pla-873192956854&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=94306392952&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=416925996615&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=14086984520148568459&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9003055&hvtargid=pla-873192956854). I ordered two sets then measured out two belts as close to 39.5” as I could. Put them on the pulleys, and they work like a charm. Best thing is if either belt break I have spare links to replace the bad ones. 

if these end up wearing out faster than usual I’ll put another post on here. Basically just find a v belt that’s close to 39.5 (because good luck finding one 39.714”) and get them your D-250. I reckon if they can power the ark loader they can power whatever you need on the front or mid pto. 

also the screech is gone on the front PTO.

Edited by Onmytractor
Wanted to follow up on a previous part of the discussion related to belt noise.
  • Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• ri702bill
      By ri702bill
      I read the post by @Foxer14 regarding the out-of-line price set by his grandfather that wanted to sell his C175. I can relate to his frustration when it comes to WH Tractors and the over-the-top demands set by family relatives. You can pick your friends, but not your relatives...🤷‍♂️
      Disclaimer: The names have been changed to protect the guilty and this really happened as I am telling it.

Back in 1990 my father in law bought a used D250 that had a 60 inch deck and an Ark FEL for $2800 from a local WH Dealer. The previous owner bought it new and had it for 2 years and then died; his widow sold it back to the Dealer. My father in law had it for 2 years, had a stroke and died shortly thereafter (notice a pattern here??) I am sure that every family has a relative that is legendary for their history of extraordinary frugality (aka cheapness). After the burial my brother in law "Bob" expresses his interest to buy the D250 from my mother in law for what they paid for it - the issue was getting it from RI to OK.

Bob worked for a major airline and could have it shipped to Tulsa for free, but it would have to be drained of all fluids and crated and dropped off at the local airport. He kicked at the cost of the skid and crating and asked me if I could build the skid and crate in the back of my 4 cylinder Ranger and drop it off. I refused and told him I could crate it if he bought the materials but needed to hire a Freight Carrier to deliver it to the airport. He then realized he had no way to get it home when it arrived - he did not want to pay a Carrier to deliver it to his house.
      My sister in law, "Cindy" his wife, calls to demand that I help him get it home. At the time, I had just gotten a promotion and had 10 days of Vacation Time available. They wanted ME to load it in my Ranger and DRIVE it to Oklahoma with their "generous" offer of $50 per day for lodging & meals and "X" per loaded mile gas money - and less than "X" for the return trip - I flat out refused.
      I gave them MY suggestion - He should fly here (he could do so for free) and HE should rent a one way small box Van. We would load it up and "hot shoe" it across the country, one drives, the other sleeps, no Hotel rooms, and I would help him to unload it and I wanted him to put me on the next plane to RI at his expense. He said absolutely not, forget the whole deal, let Mom sell the tractor.

Mom did sell the tractor to the next door neighbor for $2800 - he had it for 2 years..... then he died.

I do not know what ever became of the tractor BUT I have had people tell me that with the history of it I should have made sure my Brother in law got it !!!
      True but sad, sad but true...
      Bill
    • Aldon
      By Aldon
      I just uploaded a Brochure in the document section but thought I would share one of the best parts of that brochure. This is a really nice fold out Centerfold IMO. 

• Ironman
      By Ironman
      After a year of getting my garage straightened out, I'm finally restoring and rewiring my 78 D250. You guys were very helpful in getting a lot or research material. I've looked through all the manuals for the D250 and only found wiring schematics/diagrams with a generator and separate regulator. I need the schematic for the D250 with an Alternator with built in voltage regulator. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 
    • blu_stang
      By blu_stang
      My latest project is restoring a 1976 D250 to good working condition.   I've come across a stumbling block that I could use a few opinions on.   The engine runs smooth and starts right up even in freezing weather. The tractor is in relatively good mechanical and cosmetic condition, but there are a few things which were obviously overlooked or neglected over time.     There is a vibration in the drive train that rears its ugly head, mostly when the tractor is cold and when in the low to mid RPM range.  I can feel a little bit of play in the U join closest to the motor, but there is also a bit of play in the coupler or possibly the bearing at the shaft entrance to the transmission.   The clutch plate was recently replaced and is solid.       I have a good industrial power transmission place nearby which has had all of the bearings and seals I needed, so far, including metric.  I also have a place nearby that services and builds custom driveshafts.  So, I’m confident I can get what I need; it just need to figure out what my approach is going to be. I don't have experience repairing drive lines. Has anyone worked on replacing any pieces in the drive line on a D250?    So far, I intend to replace the U joints in the driveshaft. That seems like an obvious step.  I also was considering having the driveshaft balanced once the U joints are replaced.  The biggest unknown to me is the play where the driveshaft meets the transmission.  Does anyone have a solid D250 they would be willing to climb under to check the play on that shaft?  I have no sense for how much play is OK, or if this is something I am going to have to take care of, right away.  Based on all of what I have read about the early D250 transmissions, the play at the transmission has caught my attention.   Also, if anyone happens to know the size (dimensions by numbers) of the U joints needed, having those would help speed up the repair process.   Thanks for your thoughts.  
    • Ironman
      By Ironman
      1978 D-250 with a front blade and tiller. Needs work but that's what I like about it.