Team70R

K341 governer/throttle adjustment

Team70R

Got the new Chinese carb on my k341 and I'm still having issues with it. When I open the throttle all the way with it not running everything opens as should but when it's running the throttle shaft on the carb only opens half way. As in the governer isn't functioning correctly or a spring is warn. It surges terribly and almost dies when you drive it. Definitely frustrating!!! Here's a video of it running. 

IMG_2755.MOV

Edited by Team70R

Team70R

It runs great if I open the throttle on the carb by hand!

gwest_ca

Adjust the high speed mixture screw. Sounds like it is a bit lean.

The governor is working. Did you adjust the position of the governor arm on the governor shaft? That is required when a carb has been reinstalled on the engine. Procedure is in the service manual.

Section 04 in this manual

A governor tries to slow the rpm down. The faster the engine runs to more force it develops to slow the engine down.

There is a governor spring between the throttle cable and the governor arm.

The throttle cable tries to increase rpm by adding tension to the spring.

In your case the governor senses the desired rpm (set by the throttle cable) is too high so it slows the engine down.

Now its is too slow so allows the throttle spring pressure to increase the rpm but the engine is slow to respond caused by the lean running condition. Since it did not rev up the governor allowed too much throttle opening. When it does rev up it is too fast again and the cycle continues as we say surges or is governor hunting.

Let us know what happens.

Garry

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

Team70R

Thank you Garry. I will mess with the high speed adjustment tonight and see what happens and also check the bowl for debris. Is it possible I don't have the throttle linkage between the carb and the governer at the correct length?

gwest_ca

The length of the link between the arm and the carb throttle is not real critical. The governor shaft when adjusted to wide open throttle will correct and compensate for any differences and why the adjustment is necessary when a carb is reinstalled. The carb is not dowelled to the engine block so it can go back on in a slightly different location.

Garry

• Like 1

Team70R

That makes sense! I did reset the governer arm on the governer shaft last night. Didn't seem to make a difference 

oliver2-44

Be sure and check the carb bowl as you mentioned. Some members have reported finding new Chinese carbs quite dirty from the factory

• Like 2

Team70R

I'm hoping that's the issue!

Team70R

I checked the bowl and it wasn't the cleanest but not bad. Sprayed everything down with carb cleaner and no luck still. Here's a video of it running while driving. I've tried adjusting the carb with no luck. 

IMG_2761.MOV

gwest_ca

Sounds like you are loosing the ignition for a few seconds. When that happens to governor opens the throttle but with no ignition the extra fuel takes a few seconds to recover when the ignition comes back.

Do you have a way of monitoring the voltage to the coil (+) terminal when that happens?

Garry

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

WHX??

Most of the fellas have had no problems whatsoever with the knockoff carbs Team so may maybe Garry is on to something ther, check the points? If mag disregard my hardware is having issues with the vid.

• Like 1

Team70R
20 minutes ago, gwest_ca said:

Sounds like you are loosing the ignition for a few seconds. When that happens to governor opens the throttle but with no ignition the extra fuel takes a few seconds to recover when the ignition comes back.

Do you have a way of monitoring the voltage to the coil (+) terminal when that happens?

Garry

I was thinking that could be a possibility. I can hook up a volt meter to it I reckon and see what happens. The coil has a pretty big rusty dent in it from the previous owner 

• Excellent 1