Tractor boy

help needed!

Tractor boy

Ive been trying to change the headlight bulbs on my 312-8. but i cant seem to get the glass cover off. So are these bulbs change able? And is there a reason for the headlights to not function if they are getting current?

- Tractorboy

BaySide1

I changed the bulbs in my 520H a few months ago. There were no glass covers.

Post a pic of what your looking at.

image.png.a7508f3bb80fc84e1a34ab60df177393.pngJust undo the clips at the 3 O'clock position and they pop right out

Edited by BaySide1
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 1

953 nut

4 minutes ago, Tractor boy said:

is there a reason for the headlights to not function if they are getting current?

Yes, the bulb is bad.They are a sealed beam headlamp, take the old one to an auto parts store and they can fix you up.

• Like 3

BaySide1

NAPA has the bulbs for like $7.00 each

• Like 1

N3PUY

OR ..... the bulbs have a poor ground.   If the ground wire for the bulb is attached to the hood there could be no ground.  When the ground is the hood, the circuit must pass thru the hood hinge to get back to the battery.  That's a bad connection.  There needs to be a jumper wire from the hood to the tractor frame.  If you're using a test light connect the alligator clip to the ground side of the bulb and probe the (+) side of the bulb.  Got light?  If not you'll need to fix the ground.  If the test light came on you'll need bulbs!

5994b2f7bda82_HLground.png.880144e78e0c52594c3b32339679c4e5.png

Edited by N3PUY
  • Like 6

Tractor boy

I got the headlights off the hood. there is a glass lenses covering in front of the bulbs. i was wonder as how to a individual would go about removing this glass lenses? Yes i have that kind of ground, but it worked fine before.

CasualObserver

The glass lens IS the bulb... the element inside is not a serviceable part. Take it to the auto parts store and get the replacement... they're cheap.... well I see you're in CT... so perhaps not quite so cheap! ;):lol:

• Like 7

953 nut

This is what a sealed beam headlight looks like. It is a one piece replaceable unit. You don't remove "the bulb", it is a sealed unit.

Image result for sealed beam headlights

• Like 5
  • Excellent 1

Digger 66

X-2 ^^ 

And don't bother replacing them with the LED's that are an exact replacement .

I did on the snowblower that's at my mom's house and couldn't be more disappointed ,

They advertise that it's equal to a 50 W halogen .

Bullllll ! 

it looks like a candle and will probably outlive ME :blink:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00SFCJ01A/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

TDF5G

The easiest way to test those is to connect the terminals of the sealed beam to a 12 volt battery with a jumper wire.

Edited by TDF5G
  • Like 3
  • Excellent 1

Tractor boy

Thanks for all the help. So i should disconnect the lights and replace? 

WHX??

If there is not a bad ground and you are getting power to them yes. If you have a multimeeter you can ohm them out to make sure they are not bad.

On ‎8‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 5:33 PM, Digger 66 said:

don't bother replacing them with the LED's that are an exact replacement

Is that right @Digger 66 ? I was groining to pull the trigger on a pair of them for the 520. Keep the amp drawn down so I could run those and the hi-test cab lights. Nice to know they're not worth a hoot. Looks like they good reviews?

• Thanks 1

BaySide1

you could always try am LED light bar

00u0u_lnQ5qBXjU3m_600x450.jpg

• Like 3

lynnmor

I just felt a lot older, these young wippersnappers don't know about sealed beam headlights. Now we have the plastic junk that fogs and costs a fortune to replace.

• Haha 1

Digger 66
2 hours ago, WHX12 said:

If there is not a bad ground and you are getting power to them yes. If you have a multimeeter you can ohm them out to make sure they are not bad.

Is that right @Digger 66 ? I was groining to pull the trigger on a pair of them for the 520. Keep the amp drawn down so I could run those and the hi-test cab lights. Nice to know they're not worth a hoot. Looks like they good reviews?

I don't care for it . It's white , yes . But as for illuminating the work area ? It gets a 3 out of 10 .