PeacemakerJack

"Clyde"--Dad's 953

PeacemakerJack
21 hours ago, Shynon said:

Seriously the look on his face Is priceless looks like he is having a great time:handgestures-thumbupright:. Glad to see it went to a great home. Again really excites me to see his excitement on Clyde it think you knocked this one out of the park for your dad.:text-bravo:

Tom, you know how cool it is to share a hobby with your son.  It was awesome to see you and Mike climb into the furrows and turn earth together.  I’m looking forward to posting a video in the future that has Dad on Clyde, me on GhostRider, and Caleb(my son) on Grizzly all plowing in a row.  Thanks again for your kind words—you and Mike are great guys and I can’t wait to plow with you two again!  

21 hours ago, Shynon said:

, seeing the videos makes me want to get back to my 1054, my plan is to install an 8 pinion differential into the stock 3 speed trans and at this time I have a k341 freshly rebuilt with 2  hrs of run time on it may find its way into the 1054. At this point maybe I will have it done before the next meet and greet.  

I think that is a great idea Tom!  Having only taken a couple of rounds in my little garden on Clyde, I can tell you that if one of these tractors is set up right, they will be a “plowing beast” for a GT.  Make sure you start a thread if you began to work on building yours so we can follow along.

22 hours ago, T-Mo said:

I have a 10 inch Brinly that I used on plow day events.  Last weekend it was on the back of my 416-8.  I also have a 8 inch slot hitch plow that needs some work to get it to adjust.

I love the looks of the 953/1054 tractors.  And I would love to get at least one of these 953s ready to do some plowing.  Time, right now, is my enemy.  Just don't have enough of it to do any damage in the garage.  But, with the holidays coming up, we usually take a week off between Christmas and New Years, so if there isn't anything on the "honey-do" list, maybe I'll have time to mess with these 953s and a John Deere 425 I picked up back in September.

@T-Mo I certainly have more ideas and goals than time.  I don’t think that you would regret setting one of your Big Wheels up for plowing. As I stated above, I see most of the complications that I have had with my 314-8 alleviated in Dad’s 953.  Add a little more power and make sure that the rear end is solid and go at it! Also, keep us posted when you do. I can’t wait to meet you and plow with you someday...

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2

WHX??
On ‎11‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 8:56 AM, Shynon said:

you better get more ground secured for next year

The guy that leases that land was a little po'ed he had to disc it and couldn't figure out why we did such a small section. After I explained we did it all with GT's and a one bottom he got over it. He called me one day cause his grain dryer was broke and he had big time amounts of corn to get through it with expensive haulers idling. I dropped what I was doing and went over and repaired it and didn't charge him.. Not only that the land owner is in needing some heating work done on the replacement shed that had burnt down so I think we got it locked up for next year!

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

dells68

Love that picture and must say that I'm really digging that barn!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

PeacemakerJack

We’ve heard it said and maybe even said it ourselves, “you can never have enough storage space!”  Such is the case with Dad. I grew up in a 1500sq ft ranch style house that was built on a crawl space (no basement!) and so storage was a premium. Then dad was able to acquire a couple of acres from grandpa in the early 1990’s and we built the 2200 sq ft two story that they now live in with a full basement under it.  It has a modest garage but not big.  In the early 2000’s we built him an outbuilding for the classic cars and a storage place for extra stuff.  By about 2010 he was talking about buying one of those preassembled 8’x10’ “barns” for sale at your local box store.  I convinced him that we should build a scaled down version of a “real” barn!  So that is what we did! It has a Gambrel truss roof with a cupola on top complete with weather vane.  If I remember correctly, the footprint is 16’x16’ and about 16’ tall to the peak. It has a loft in half of it for smaller items. It works really well and now that Dad has a couple of :wh: we call it the horse barn!

• Like 5
  • Excellent 4

T-Mo

Nice pictures, indeed.  And I love red barns or sheds......I even have a red shed to house up to 4 or 5 of my Wheel Horses.

• Like 2

PeacemakerJack

Here is a video I took yesterday. I didn’t get it uploaded because I didn’t have wifi at the time. 

Thanks again @Shynon for being part of this transaction.  Dad really enjoys Clyde and now he is making memories with his family due to it. Glad you were willing to part with it and that dad could be the recipient...

• Like 3
  • Excellent 5

ebinmaine
2 hours ago, T-Mo said:

red shed to house up to 4 or 5 of my Wheel Horses

Perhaps you could take some lessons from @AMC RULES... With proper stacking and filing you too could have a "magic shed"... easily increase capacity to 35 + horses. :ROTF:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

PeacemakerJack

Another chapter in the Clyde story today and you all get to take part.  The rear end on Clyde is a little noisy.  A couple of you on here think that it is bearings. I sure hope that we are lucky and that is what it turns out to be. However, one of my buddies located a complete 953 differential and I had the opportunity to buy it for dad for Christmas.  He knows nothing about it although I had mentioned that he should buy it when I first found out that it was available for purchase.  If nothing is wrong with his, it can’t hurt to have a spare—especially since his 953 is a plow mule. We are celebrating Christmas at their house today and I’ll be sure to capture the moment in pics and video! Stay tuned...only a gear head could like a differential for Christmas.

• Like 3
  • Excellent 5

ebinmaine
9 minutes ago, PeacemakerJack said:

only a gear head could like a differential for Christmas.

I can't think of Any one I'd hang around with that wouldn't want one...

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

953 nut
5 hours ago, PeacemakerJack said:

953 differential and I had the opportunity to buy it for dad for Christmas.

:woohoo:           Nothing says Merry Christmas like a :wh: 953 rear end!           :text-merryxmas:                     

• Haha 6

WHX??

Does this mean I get to take apart the old one to see what the noise is about? :greetings-clappingyellow:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

PeacemakerJack

Dad opened his gift and seemed to like it although I do believe he was even more excited about the “Horses” book but was thankful for both.  We will arrange a date to sit down and watch the DVD together.

AB45E898-9941-4AEF-B58A-BA0E7FDEA9BA.jpeg.feb9735cd2ce5f3f9a12b77ce475fc0a.jpeg

Zach was interested, as always, in all things tractor related!  It was an awesome relaxing and enjoyable time together with the family.  

Jim/Steve—we made need some help or advice on the disassembly/reassembly for the rear end.  We need to get that thing all ready to go for the big plow day/tractor show in Plainfield. There was an older gentleman (owns a Speedex) at Berlin that was practically begging dad to bring Clyde up to Plainfield. Can’t wait...

Edited by PeacemakerJack
  • Like 7

PeacemakerJack

So—after furrow plowing with Clyde last fall, dad decided to make a “land wheel” for his plow.  He wanted it to have easy adjustment, to be durable, and be able to be removed if and when he wanted to return the plow to original.  He spent time looking at multiple setups that guys have fabricated and then designed his own...

85E8B81F-2B4E-42A4-BD00-3CA41FEBC5E2.jpeg.6875ecd4e7571dc79122d0b108cbbed3.jpeg

Dad likes to sketch more challenging projects out to look for possible problems and to have a road map to completion.  @cpete1 these are the kinds of sketches that Uncle Ken made before he build his garden tractor—I’m guessing that is where dad picked up this trait! He asked me what I thought and I felt that it was a solid design.  So he went to work and here is what he has so far.

BD1404F9-4CC5-4A79-A8BC-61A227E08E30.jpeg.a5b0e9488bea7cad0caf3ddef36a2014.jpeg

The wheel is infinitely adjustable just like the turnbuckle on the plow.  Set the crank exactly where you want it, flip it over and the handle “locks” against the frame—NO tools in the field needed to adjust!

FDF950D9-EE3C-4AE8-9A8B-6827A72201BA.jpeg.0a2797750a4cc165ed61392a8bf68784.jpeg

It is more complex than the plow but a very sturdy design. Yet if dad decides someday down the road to return it to original, grind off the welds and back to stock!

AECACB5D-86C4-49FF-BAD8-FA7DFE7B56AE.jpeg.499634499c40bf0ae93ba4e174d2e4a2.jpeg

Here’s a cool side note: while dad was mocking this thing up, uncle Roger stopped by and talked with him about it. He left, went home, and came back with one of the original rims and tires from the first mower that dad ever used back in the mid 1960’s—The :wh: REO. The original tire was completely shot but the rim was salvageable and so dad cleaned it up, painted it and installed a new tire!

C2E167FD-25B2-48B2-BC32-9F7F0F0B5900.jpeg.0a278022f331c395b24e2da052b5d1f4.jpeg

He even included a scraper to make sure that the tire doesn’t ball up if the soil is a little wet and sticky.  He is going to paint some of the parts red to match the beam and some semi gloss black to match the back of the moldboard.  Terry @Vinylguy do you think you could make up a cool decal for this plow?  Dad wants to proudly display its Wheel Horse heritage on both sides of the beam!  I also think it would be cool to put some kind of a sticker on the back of the moldboard like I have on the Punisher...but I’m looking for ideas? Maybe a simple WH logo? Thoughts guys?

• Like 3
  • Excellent 5

PeacemakerJack

Definitely an awesome Idea for sure...:handgestures-thumbupright: I think that the second one would really look sweet, especially if it was about twice as big 6”x2.5”.  The PP-10HD is an interesting animal.  It has a 10” Plow share but a 12” Moldboard. That gives a lot of real estate for a cool sticker...

19richie66

Dad’s quite the designer and builder. Looks great. The lower decal (version 1) looks great. 

• Thanks 1

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, PeacemakerJack said:

second one would really look sweet, especially if it was about twice as big 6”x2.5”

I'm putting in a vote for that one as well., along with @19richie66.

• Like 2

cpete1

Why am I not surprised by the details in the drawings. You guys have engineering built into your DNA.  Very, Very impressive execution on the "draft wheel". Been away from the "think machine" some, have to catch up on the different posts. The part looks "factory". And I'm thinking that some of the design was from studying what was out there already. We had plows at the farm that had metal wheels with scrapers on them. 

Very nice, 

Chris

• Thanks 1

AMC RULES

Though...to impress upon your competition...

Image result for get a horse wheel horse decal

always thought this classic serves to make the perfect statement.  :handgestures-thumbsup:

• Excellent 2

Vinylguy

5a6e10e8c7fe3_landwheel.png.91cc908a7ea6658e8eba150a884d4a0a.png

IDEA 1 for the land wheel

would be in the silver metallic and wh red like the made in usa decals

5a6e10372123a_landwheel.png.e832a5bf0b893eaaacdeace652419eef.png

Edited by Vinylguy
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 5

Sarge

How in the world are you so fast at working up this stuff , Terry ? Geeze, you're getting like Garry being Johnny-on-the-spot with equipment manuals....lol. Nice work, great design...

Just an idea - some heavy steel cook pots are the perfect shape to cut and make a steel flange wheel..just saying for a more vintage look.

Sarge

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

PeacemakerJack
1 hour ago, Vinylguy said:

5a6e10e8c7fe3_landwheel.png.91cc908a7ea6658e8eba150a884d4a0a.png

IDEA 1 for the land wheel

would be in the silver metallic and wh red like the made in usa decals

5a6e10372123a_landwheel.png.e832a5bf0b893eaaacdeace652419eef.png

Terry—you are amazing!  I can’t wait to show this to dad later today when I see him. I will definitely be in touch with you regarding this project.  He will need a full set of graphics for Clyde and also for the plow.:text-thankyoublue: for such a quick and cool response!

• Like 2
  • Excellent 3

Vinylguy
1 hour ago, Sarge said:

How in the world are you so fast at working up this stuff , Terry ? Geeze, you're getting like Garry being Johnny-on-the-spot with equipment manuals....lol. Nice work, great design...

Just an idea - some heavy steel cook pots are the perfect shape to cut and make a steel flange wheel..just saying for a more vintage look.

Sarge

The lake does not open till April 1st so I am home most of the time and check the forum every day.

I was able to draw the word land by cutting apart the letters in wheel horse script and welding them back together to spell land.

Used the letters l and n to make a d. Lovin' my new 32 inch dual monitors. Helps my old eyes. :)

image.png.8266d1dd3a8b040443d113904a014461.png

5a6e2ba2a0476_landwheelexample.png.5f0b0b972e45db5b2636e7ff37ec5d53.png

Heading out to my granddaughter bball game now. Have a great day everyone!

• Like 5
  • Excellent 3

19richie66

Just a suggestion... when I first looked at it , I thought it said “Lord Wheel”, maybe its just me. What if you took the lower case “e” in wheel and flipped it over to be an “a” . It looks like in that font it would work if you cleaned up the bottom of the e when flipped over and shortened it. Im on my phone so its the best I could do.

FE79975D-203D-4347-A432-91ADE73ACBF0.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1