PeacemakerJack

"Clyde"--Dad's 953

TDF5G

That's awesome.  He's looks like a kid with a new toy! :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

PeacemakerJack

Well--I don't have a picture of this yet, but dad is already at work building a new seat base, cushion, and material for Clyde.  He purchased a marine grade black product and new foam. I supplied him with furniture grade 3/4" plywood that I had left over from another project that he will use for the structure.  We noticed that the seat pan sitting right on the fender pan is a combo that promotes rust.  Dad is planning to put a couple of oak spacers attached to the bottom of the seat which will allow for airflow.  He has already asked me about AG tires and so I'm guessing that he will pick up a set in his next trek through OH past Miller tire and save the shipping!:handgestures-thumbupright: If you look closely in he above pic you will see the back edge of a plow on Clyde.  Dad purchased that from a forum member a couple of years ago. We are going to set it up for using with Clyde.  I can't wait to get this thing plowing!  I know it will take some tweaking to get all the kinks out and science out anything to make it a better plow tractor.  My feeling is, if we manage to break stuff, we will build it stronger. If it is tough enough as is, we will keep it going!  Eventually I'll put a wanted ad for a snow blade. Dad said he'd indeed like to have one for pushing the smaller/wet snows that don't feed well in his blower. I'll have pics soon!

• Thanks 2

PeacemakerJack

Dad's making progress on Clyde's seat. It was functional but that was about it. Dad doesn't care to do anything halfway. Now, before you send me links to reproduction seats, dad said that he would rather make his own saddle...

IMG_4761.JPG.10ee779d37b8577514b0728aca97843a.JPG

Here's what he started with!

IMG_5123.JPG.251f9b06b1b877bb87117118654b98ec.JPG

He picked up foam and a marine grade black vinyl material.

IMG_5120.JPG.576b5c20f35788ed548129d65573df8f.JPG

Cut the furniture plywood to size and shape.

IMG_5121.JPG.46162e219596008060817880d65c2159.JPG

Then covered it in that awesome heavy duty vinyl!

IMG_5122.JPG.fed46c02e44c5bf6cb17a0c9c3583457.JPG

I thought the thumb tacks were a functional and cool touch. Seat base coming up!

• Like 4
  • Excellent 2

PeacemakerJack

Dad finished the "saddle" for Clyde today! I think it really turned out nice...

IMG_5124.JPG.963a76a830252dd9beba5b1f5bda5c89.JPG

Now he's gonna do a little body work on the metal under the seat base and paint it mainly for protection.  

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

PeacemakerJack

Dad is definitely getting into working on Clyde. He redid the seat and then looked at the nasty residue on the pan under the seat and decided to touch that up since he will have to fill the fuel up there on a regular basis.

He cleaned out all the surface rust and crud and then laid down a thin coat of bondo to somewhat smooth some of the pitting.

IMG_5126.JPG.739c241497e8da11f18b0acdebb44b31.JPG

After that cured well, he sanded it down and then shot some primer and a couple coats of IH red...

IMG_5127.JPG.7b35dc8159cd51cb01b6808a7300c79b.JPG

Dad is a perfectionist and so for him this isn't what he would like to see but I did remind him that this is a worker.  Mom said she liked the tractor enough that he should restore it completely.  I told him if he did that, he wouldn't want to plow with it!  Sounds like he will be traveling through OH next month and is planning to stop by Miller and pick up a set of AG's.  I can't wait to see this thing with AG's on it...IMG_0637.JPG.efe63f313275acdb601cc281c1f3903b.JPG

A couple years ago, I arranged for dad to pick this beast up from a forum member. It is so long and heavy, it was hard to operate the lift arm on Dad's 875. However, it lifts with ease on Clyde with the Hydraulic lift. This will be the plow that we set up for this machine. My question for you guys is, "Did this plow come from the factory with the Clevis style (notice it has a second tongue under the main one) tongue?" Right now you slide the primary tongue in the slot and the lower tongue goes under it.  The hitch pin slides through all three pieces.  If this was factory and not owner added, why would that be on there?  

We will disassemble it, clean it up, make sure all the fasteners are solid and the turnbuckle and pivot points are free to adjust. The other change that we will make is to move the coulter bracket about an inch further out to the left of the beam (away from the furrow).  I'm also going to get my hands on another serrated counter like I have on the Punisher (they look cool and do help cut up longer trash). Then we paint it, letter it, and put it to work!

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

953 nut
3 hours ago, PeacemakerJack said:

"Did this plow come from the factory with the Clevis style (notice it has a second tongue under the main one) tongue?" Right now you slide the primary tongue in the slot and the lower tongue goes under it.  The hitch pin slides through all three pieces.

Non factory for sure, look at the sales flier.

59a75c7878eaf_953salesfolder.jpg.4c4053eec7d43eae21abf4a8592a6392.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

Achto

Looks like Dads having a great time with Clyde.

• Like 1

TravelinJavelin

awesome set up love it!

• Like 1

PeacemakerJack

Time for new "shoes" for Clyde.  After the show in Berlin last week and all the positive comments Dad got about Clyde, he is more motivated than ever to get it set to his liking. 

IMG_5220.JPG.ec7aa75a2623696ef5eebe1d994eae7e.JPG

He is going to be traveling through Ohio at the end of the month and so he will stop by Miller and pick up a set of 7.60-15 AG's.  He said that he didn't want to miss out on prime painting weather so he peeled the turfs off the rims and look what he found...

IMG_5235.JPG.e29a706fa92f4f77ee44d0e2f4ef7b8e.JPG

Can @Shynon shed any light on this inscription?  

Then he took the hoops to the sandblasted to clean them up.

IMG_5237.JPG.5b98dfffc400c0a574d7db5d5fb0365f.JPG

The rims are in great shape and perfect candidates for a fresh coat of Antique white paint!

IMG_5236.JPG.cbd7756cbbc995cf8e2978fee2f59135.JPG

So that is just what Dad gave them!  Now they wait curing until the end of the month when the shoes arrive.  I'm soooooo excited to see what this thing will look like with those tires on it...

Now it is time to set up and paint the plow.

• Like 5
  • Excellent 2

Shynon

Bought them of :techie-ebay: from a local seller, he had them marked

• Thanks 1

PeacemakerJack

Thanks Tom.  You know how much I like the "back story"!

• Like 1

Cvans

Wonderful story. Really great you and your Dad are getting along so well and many good memories for the grandchildren. 

Thanks for updating us. :D

• Thanks 1

ebinmaine
21 hours ago, PeacemakerJack said:

all the positive comments Dad got about Clyde, he is more motivated than ever to get it set to his liking. 

Glad to see/hear that... Awesome job!

Keep us posted.

• Like 1

PeacemakerJack

Stopped by dad's this morning and got a kick out of this...

IMG_5268.JPG.d2a518013a1a6542902ad05e1adabd73.JPG

it almost begs a "caption this"...

"Steel wheels anyone?"  

@Shynon we took care of that grommet last weekend...

IMG_5269.JPG.14664aa752536a49e096cb1359cd0d46.JPG

Two weeks from now and hopefully I'll have some pics with AG's mounted:greetings-clappingyellow:

reminds me of Johnny Cash--"one piece at a time."

• Like 8

ebinmaine
14 minutes ago, PeacemakerJack said:

reminds me of Johnny Cash--"one piece at a time."

Great to see this rig progressing.

:handgestures-thumbup:

Awesome song.

I'll have that stuck in my head today.

Thanks for that.  :P

• Haha 1

WHX??

Looks like it's ready to run on railroad tracks! :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

PeacemakerJack

Jim--I'd better make sure that dad didnt get a job for Canadian National while I was sleeping...:ROTF:

@ebinmaine now I have a bunch of Cash songs in my brain while thinking of dad driving Clyde on the rails...

"I hear that train a comin', it's rollin' round the bend, and I ain't seen the sunshine since I don't know when..."

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2
  • Haha 2

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, PeacemakerJack said:

Jim--I'd better make sure that dad didnt get a job for Canadian National while I was sleeping...:ROTF:

@ebinmaine now I have a bunch of Cash songs in my brain while thinking of dad driving Clyde on the rails...

"I hear that train a comin', it's rollin' round the bend, and I ain't seen the sunshine since I don't know when..."

Sweeeeeeet

• Like 1

953 nut
9 hours ago, PeacemakerJack said:

begs a "caption this"...

"Steel wheels anyone?"

Image result for i've been working on the railroad

• Like 2

953 nut

Those 7.60s should fill up the wheel wells!             :text-coolphotos:

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

TravelinJavelin

very nice would like a set of those my self!

• Like 2

PeacemakerJack

I sent mom a link to this thread yesterday after she texted me the pictures of the tires. She read the whole thing to dad on the trip back home.  The only thing she was disappointed with was the lack of more good pictures from the night of the reveal. She sent me some and said that I should add them to the thread...

78739226-5E59-4BF3-AF31-580C8F205A33.jpeg.cb44e126a414f06154773f323da819db.jpeg

Dad’s getting ready to back out of the garage for the first time while I’m talking him through a couple of things.

0F4B6FE8-EAEA-4278-A66A-5CB3DB21DAD1.jpeg.68484b1397de4724de084f367143600e.jpeg

Dad, Mom, and Zach with Clyde!

A6C924D7-E6AC-4D77-94C6-1AE0D7604736.jpeg.33a20c0a58712f282900949030538756.jpeg

Multigenerational pic with Dad, myself, and Zach!  Dad would’ve been about 11 when Clyde was brand new.  What a testament to the care for this example and the durability of the brand in general...

• Like 7
  • Excellent 1

Rp.wh

This is awesome love the reveal picture could definitely tell he was one happy dad! Awesome tires should look killer cant wait to see it!

• Thanks 1

WHX??

Those tires are awesome,:greetings-clappingyellow: can't wait to see them on!

• Like 1