Skipper

Where do you find tractors and implements?

Skipper

Hi

Could someone let me in on the secret? I see all these posts about people finding good stuff for sale. I have tried ebay, craigslist, backpages, google, and i only find very little. This forums classified also naturally :-)

My search text's:

520H

520H tiller

Wheel Horse tiller

Im trying to find a set of the above, perhaps with a 60" deck if possible.

Is it really that rare, or am I missing something?

• Like 1

CasualObserver

Well, honestly, I would believe your location has the most to do with it! You have to remember that Wheel Horses were much more abundant in the states than they were overseas. You may notice there are far more of these scores and deals posts from members in the states than there are from the guys over in the European countries. If I were you I'd scrap the quest for the 520 and look for a nice 512-D.... that's a model that was only available overseas. How I wish they would have made that one available over here!

As to where/how/what you're searching... perhaps one of the gents from your side could chip in some better tips?

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2

Skipper

Thanks for the input, and sorry for not being clear enough. 

I'm searching in the US. I have acces to a warehouse and shipping to europe, so I'm trying to find a nice set to bring back home. I might even fly over to inspect and pack it myself.

Why? well as you say, they are almost impossible to find in europe, and especialy in good condition and with implements. So it would be to fullfill that craving you propably all know so well ;-)

• Like 3

Digger 66

Welcome Skipper .:handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

roadapples

Hmm, looks like it's not only outa' state horse rustlers we need to watch out for....:ychain:

Edited by roadapples
Speeling
  • Like 3
  • Excellent 2

elcamino/wheelhorse

@Skipper The is a large auction of Wheel Horse Tractors in Virginia on Sept 19,2017. If you could come to the auction you may find what you are looking for.

There is a thread on the auction on the Forum.

• Like 2

roadapples
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 1

AMC RULES

Bet this guy...

is really from CT.   :hide:

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

953 nut

:WRS:          The states of Indiana, Ohio and Pennsylvania seem to be the happy hunting grounds for   :wh: . You could follow Craig's List postings in these states and see what is out there. Most sellers on CL would be looking for a fast sale so don't know how well this would work

4 minutes ago, roadapples said:

Sorry!!!!!       :ychain:     Here is a link to the auction Jim was referring to.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

elcamino/wheelhorse

At the rate life is throwing curves recently I will be lucky to make it to the auction. Trying to figure out if the El Camino will make it 55 miles one way. If it does I will  be the one dumb A riding in the tow truck hauling a El Camino and a :wh: , listening to " I told you not to drive it " on the phone while I am trying to explain why I am late.:wacko:

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

WVHillbilly520H

@elcamino/wheelhorse, it's a heavy Chevy it'll make, have faith in the Bowtie as well as the :wh: , I think I might know a lil sumpthin' about fixing up a G body if you ever need anything, Jeff.

IMAG3447~2.jpg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

elcamino/wheelhorse

@WVHillbilly520H I have noticed your Bowtie master piece. At my age and income something like that is out of the picture. When I was 16 my uncle had an El Camino and I always wanted one. Finally found this one at age 54 , purchased it so I would have something to play with. Fractured a vertebrae in 2006 so I can't work on the El but so much. A gravel drive way and not garage  does not help. You may see it at the auction. 

Edited by elcamino/wheelhorse
  • Like 3

WHX??

:WRS: Skipper in case I haven't already done so....as far as the rest of the above yahoos. ...don't pay no nevermind they ain't right...they got other addictions and like to go :text-offtopic::ychain: You really want a 520 you come on over and we'll find you a dandy...maybe even one of 'billies! :lol:

Edited by WHX12
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

cafoose

Check out these threads for info on the 512-D looks like a :wicked:machine!

7 hours ago, CasualObserver said:

If I were you I'd scrap the quest for the 520 and look for a nice 512-D.... that's a model that was only available overseas. How I wish they would have made that one available over here!

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H
6 hours ago, WHX12 said:

:WRS: Skipper in case I haven't already done so....as far as the rest of the above yahoos. ...don't pay no nevermind they ain't right...they got other addictions and like to go :text-offtopic::ychain: You really want a 520 you come on over and we'll find you a dandy...maybe even one of 'billies! :lol:

I only have 2 left, but I'm still after a less than 200 hour immaculate 2 owner 520H Anniversary, just missed it 2 years ago when it was being sold with only 123 hrs, Jeff.

7 hours ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

@WVHillbilly520H I have noticed your Bowtie master piece. At my age and income something like that is out of the picture. When I was 16 my uncle had an El Camino and I always wanted one. Finally found this one at age 54 , purchased it so I would have something to play with. Fractured a vertebrae in 2006 so I can't work on the El but so much. A gravel drive way and not garage  does not help. You may see it at the auction. 

My stepson is all about Elco's for some reason now, and my BU has been a work in progress for the last 16 years doubt if I ever really get it where I want it, but I'm trying to get Troy for the auction maybe the boy will come along and drool all over your Elco while we're trying to snag a :wh:.

• Like 2

Searcher60

I know where 2-520H's are right now for sale in Central Virgina for $1000 each. Maybe less with cash. Both have about 700 hrs.. One is a 1993, the other is a 1996.  Now, I desparety need a like new, 48", Model 78361 deck for my 520H. If someone wants the 520's then find me a deck. I'll trade where the 520's are located for where my deck is located. There is also a very nice 2 stage blower and tiller for sale at the same location. Sorry to have to be an ass, but nobody wants to come off a deck. The WH hogs stockpile everything they can, and just let it sit in a shed somewhere and rot away. 

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H
1 hour ago, Searcher60 said:

I know where 2-520H's are right now for sale in Central Virgina for $1000 each. Maybe less with cash. Both have about 700 hrs.. One is a 1993, the other is a 1996.  Now, I desparety need a like new, 48", Model 78361 deck for my 520H. If someone wants the 520's then find me a deck. I'll trade where the 520's are located for where my deck is located. There is also a very nice 2 stage blower and tiller for sale at the same location. Sorry to have to be an ass, but nobody wants to come off a deck. The WH hogs stockpile everything they can, and just let it sit in a shed somewhere and rot away. 

If you click on the link to the auction in Troy/Zions Crossroads and look through ALL the pictures there's a PILE of WH decks stacked on a pallet, the 48" deck shell has remained pretty much unchanged since the 60s till end of production just different anti scalp and height up cut wheels/location and lift mechanisms, you may find a suitable candidate or 2 to use there, Jeff.

• Like 1

EricF

@Skipper When you search online for :wh:, be sure to search for both "wheel horse" and "wheelhorse" spellings. I've found that the search function on most sites doesn't reliably pick up everything unless you try both.

@elcamino/wheelhorse, don't sell your Chevy's reliability short! :) Chevy's old platforms and engines are tough and simple, and take a heck of a beating and come back for more. I used to have this old beast as my work truck, until the tinworm started eating too much of the rear frame... Now there's probably a bunch of other old Chevy trucks still on the road thanks to its parts:

XHeh0hGl.jpg

(I think it looks better in the photo than it did in real life! :P )

It always got the work done and got me home even on the few times it wasn't running up to par, and the fixes were always inexpensive and easy to do. Only problem was that the rear end was geared low for heavy hauling, so 60MPH was it's comfortable speed on the highway -- which is a bit suicidal on the East Coast when everything wants to pass you at 75 or 80. The only reason I let it go at the time was that I couldn't be without a truck for as long as it would take to do the frame and body work, and a nice older Cummins-Dodge (Complete with a proper manual gearbox!) made itself available at a price I couldn't pass up.

Edited by EricF
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Skipper
18 hours ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

@Skipper The is a large auction of Wheel Horse Tractors in Virginia on Sept 19,2017. If you could come to the auction you may find what you are looking for.

There is a thread on the auction on the Forum.

Thanks for that info. I doubt tho that I will fly over to an auction. Too big risk of returning empty handed. Plane tickets are not cheap on this isde of the pond. So would rather have something mint and concrete to take the trip for :-)

18 hours ago, AMC RULES said:

Bet this guy...

is really from CT.   :hide:

Well I am not exactly sure how to prove where i'm from. Maby the platinum blonde wife and kids......... Maybe the fact that I live in the most heavily taxed country in the world......................Maby the fact I pay 3 times as much as you for the exact same car, or that a gallon of gas will cost me roughly 7 dollar...............All of which I could have just come up with out of the blue :text-lol:

Edited by Skipper
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Skipper
12 hours ago, WHX12 said:

Thank you so much. People at this forum keep amacing me with their kindness. I might PM you and tahe you up on that :)

AMC RULES
13 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Maby the fact I pay 3 times as much as you for the exact same car, or that a gallon of gas will cost me roughly 7 dollar...

Well then, if you don't mind paying his mark up...

"that guy" just might be your man.   :confusion-shrug:

After all, them mint :wh:'s are his specialty  

Skipper
12 hours ago, cafoose said:

Check out these threads for info on the 512-D looks like a :wicked:machine!

Well yes and no. It is cool, but mostly to you guys I think. Here it is not that rare, and it is not powerfull enough to pull the 60" deck IMHO. Also Im not sure it would even fit on it. Guess the 512d is to you, what a 520H is to me............. Also, finding mint low hour WH here is impossible. They are all used as tools, and there are not that many to pick from. 

If some of you guys would steer me in the direction of a 520H with 60" deck and tiller, it would be my honor to look for a 512d. There was one up for sale last month here locally, and it went for around 1000$ Not sure what kind of import taxes you are subject to, but I bet it would be way less than what I have to spend to get a 520h the other way. :-)  Guess I should have picked it up for trade :text-lol:

8 minutes ago, AMC RULES said:

Well then, if you don't mind paying his mark up...

"that guy" just might be your man.   :confusion-shrug:

After all, them mint :wh:'s are his specialty  

Not sure I quite follow, so sorry if my answer is way out there

It's not that I do not mind. I do not have a choice.................

5 hours ago, Searcher60 said:

I have no way of helping you with that deck, but would be very happy for that location anyways.

Edited by Skipper
  • Like 1

AMC RULES
43 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Not sure I quite follow, so sorry if my answer is way out there

It's not that I do not mind. I do not have a choice...

Maybe, I'll PM you some of my local Craigslist ads...

so you can see them for yourself.   :confusion-shrug:

Wait, I'll check...maybe they're still up in our classifieds section here.

WHX??
6 hours ago, Searcher60 said:

I'll trade where the 520's are located for where my deck is located. 

Now that's something new here ...horses being held hostage for a mower deck?!?!? :)

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

Lane Ranger

You have to get to know Wheel Horse owners! Meet and greet, go places, talk, ask questions, go to some shows, swap meets, etc. Once your phone has ten of twelve wheel horse guys and gals listed you will have more ways of finding parts, tractors and information that you even wanted !

010.JPG

Edited by Lane Ranger
  • Like 4